Zoe With a Creaky Boot?

Anyone got a new Zoe with a creaky (not creepy) boot? Not sure about mine yet, but will keep listening carefully.

It’s a known fault caused by bad welding spots (naughty Robot) and can be fixed at a Renault dealer under warranty. Let ONTO know if you need this done. An issue with EVs is that as they’re so quiet, you hear things you wouldn’t notice in an ICE.

Anyone remember that VW Ad? This guy was annoyed by a creaking noise in his super quiet Golf. Ten points to the first person who can tell us what it turned out to be!

2 Likes

It was the woman’s earring, mechanic oiled it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Ten points to @burnt_crisps2!

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. Think mine might have this.

When breaking coming to a junction getting a creaky/squeaky sound. Was not sure if it is a new car thing like breaking in new shoes, or something else . . .

1 Like

It is plastic trim grating on interior metal protruding spot welds, if that helps to identify the source of the creaking.

The fix is to remove trim, file down welds, repaint and replace trim.

1 Like

I’ve not driven much yet but think I may have this issue. I noticed it especially on corners but also with a few minor bumps along the road too. Definitely seems more noticeable than the usual creaks you get every now and then with the old ZE40’s.

How long would it be with Renault for? I don’t really want to hand it over and then spend a long time stuck with the costs of petrol/diesel for whatever terrible and cheap car they make me suffer with while it’s in for work.

1 Like

My Zoe makes the noise, you can hear it when the road surface is not smooth. It does come from the boot, so it should be the same issue.

2 Likes

Just called up their maintenance partner this morning to book the car in with the dealer for the warranty repair. Hopefully it’s quick, easy and painless.

3 Likes

Has anyone had a courtesy car while their Onto/Evezy vehicle is in for work? Dealer says I will need to bring proof of insurance to see if it is suitable (presumably to see if it includes driving other cars?) and otherwise I will need to pay to arrange insurance.

I’m going to assume the fleet insurance covers anyone (authorized) driving my car, but not me driving any other car?

See if you can get ONTO to book your car in and organise a courtesy car. They need to authorise the work because it is after all their vehicle. They booked in my Model 3 for warranty work, and Tesla provided me with a Model S loaner for three weeks.

2 Likes

Onto don’t seem to take responsibility for it anymore. It’s outsourced to a company called i247 and my experience hasn’t been great so far. They don’t seem to give a ton of information and it looks like there could be a lot of 3-way discussion involved trying to get to the bottom of things like this insurance query.

They sent me an email and text this morning saying that I was all booked in for just over 2 weeks time, and then I got a voicemail a little later saying they couldn’t source a courtesy car after all, so had to cancel. Called them back and their great solution was to offer an appointment while I wait. Given the nature of this issue and the work likely required I assume we’re talking more than a hour or so here.

They are now trying random dealers all across my region, including some that have nothing to do with Renault at all interestingly. I’ve not heard anything back as of yet though, so will have to see how it goes.

1 Like

You need to get Onto to send the insurance document to you as proof of insurance. If Onto book it I strongly advise you phone the garage in advance to make sure you both understand what is going to happen.
I had to have a windscreen replaced and the glaziers where booked and did it with no fuss and no intervention needed from me. This was only slightly spoiled by a different part of Onto then organising Tesla to replace the windscreen again.

I’ve had my zoe for just over a week now.
I have a squeeky drivers seat with is very annoying and also both passenger and drivers door leaks when it rains heavily. :rage:

I think as first owners of this new fleet, we’re the ones that will have to “suffer” while these teething issues are sorted out.

I’m inclined to put up with any small issues that won’t get any worse by doing nothing. I’ll just inform ONTO and let them decide whether to repair now or wait until the vehicle is between hirers.

1 Like

There is a thread regarding ZE50 leaking doors here…

Sounds like everyone is having fun with their Zoe!
I love mine but I have reported the following issues…
1- Creaky boot
2- Scratches on bumper
3- chip on centre console
4- NEW ONE- plastic trim bubbling and peeling

If I had purchased this car from the dealer I would be raging, luckily with Onto i have just reported it ans wait for the repair…

2 Likes

Yeah, not really an ONTO Complaint, but Renault appear to have completely thrown any sort of quality control out the window with the ZE50.

I’ve got the creaky boot, little scratches on the front, and discovered after the recent rain that I also have a slight leak in the door seals.

I’m expecting Renault are going to end up putting out a mass recall at some point the way things are going right now. It’s one person after another uncovering issues.

2 Likes

And that’s why I like the fact that ONTO own the car and not me! I’d never buy a Renault with my own money!

2 Likes

While the French brands don’t have the greatest reputation, this is bad even by their standards! Usually it’s just something people grow to call ‘little quirks’ that people just accept and live with - It’s rare that you get such serious and widespread issues where you have a long line of people needing to actually get repair work done.

2 Likes

I’m hoping ONTO get the e-208 as I’d probably try that out, and see if Peugeot are doing any better on the build quality front!

If they get the e-Honda or Mini Electric, I’d be prepared to trade range for a better fit and finish. Most of my driving is urban, with regular access to public charging to keep the vehicle topped up. On a regular 130 mile inter city trip, I’m used to stopping half way for a splash and dash so that wouldn’t be an issue. The Mini, with it’s BMW i3 running gear will happily fast charge at near 50kW to quite a high SoC. The handling would be fun to try out on the twisty Cotswolds B roads as well!

3 Likes