Zoe GT Not "rapid" Charging

Hi guys,

I have had my ZOE GT for 3 months now. I live in central London, dont drive much and purely rely on public rapid chargers.

I have noticed that over the past few charges on CCS 50KW, at about 50% starting battery point, my ZOE was doing no where near the rapid speed of 50kw. My Zeddy app shows a charging speed of just about 20-27kw. This has happened over the past three charges across three different charging stations (Shell, Polar and EVB). Wonder if I am missing something here (Winter temperature?) or just an isolated vehicle issue?

If it is indeed a winter issue, I wonder if there is anyway around this, or I will have to rethink any long-distance trips.

Wonder the e208 would be any better? I initially wrote off the idea of switching to E208 given most public chargers are capped at 50kw anyway. But if the winter taper-back is real, then I’d presume E208 would be a lot quicker?

Regards
Will

A cold battery charges slower. On a road trip the battery will warm up while driving. It will still be slower than in the summer though.

As above, Zoe is quite picky about conditions to let you charge anywhere near 50kW. You need to have a very warm battery and a fairly low level of charge remaining (you say you plugged in around 50% - This is too high to start a charge if you want it to charge full speed). As for a warm battery you’ll be fine for long journeys especially on the motorway. High speed for long distance will heat it up nicely, but around the city at slow speed for short distances this isn’t going to work so well.

On Zap Map are there not any regular AC charge posts you could use near to home and then unplug once fully charged after a few hours instead?

e-208 will behave a little better for charging but will give you a little less range. It’ll still not be perfect without a warm battery and low level of remaining charge however.

I too had a Zoe GT Line for three months, live in London and rely on public charging!

The best I ever got was 44kW and that from a low SoC. By 60%, it’s normally dropped to around 36kW. That was during August to October, so expect less as the temperature decreases.(By way of comparison, yesterday my e-208 peaked at 53kW. That was from 26% on a 150kW Ultra Rapid after a 16 mile 50/70 mph journey).

I don’t know your mileage, but with the great range in urban driving, I only had to charge every 10 to 14 days if I didn’t travel further afield. As in a city there are often plenty of chargers within a few miles of each other, you can afford to wait until very low SoC before charging. 5 to 10% is nothing to worry about, as it represents 10 to 20 miles, more than enough to get to the nearest charger.

In short, charge less frequently, where possible use destination chargers rather than rapids, so you can go off and do something and always charge up at the end of a long journey, when the battery is warm. Don’t leave it to the next morning, however tempting that is!

1 Like

thank you! yeah i don’t try that much at all so I am still testing out what’s the best user behaviour.

I have a CCS50 polar very close to me, that’s why I tend to rapid charge the car when possible (Also coz it is free on Onto). guess the downside of this is you can never get to 100%. Think it is only a problem for those who do not have off-street parking though.

1 Like

Is that at the Holiday Inn? Remember you get 90 minutes allowed on a Polar Rapid, so you should be able to do 30 to 100%. The charge rate will just slow down as the battery fills. It’s good to do a 100% charge from time to time as that balances all the cells in the battery.

1 Like