Wireless car charging

7 Likes

Wow that is a stunning improvement on past technology.
If they can get that integrated into buses, taxis etc. then the bus stops/taxi ranks, they will be no reason to have cable connection charging at all.
Impressive charge speed on the I-pace at such a high Soc too.

6 Likes

It’s not new, but a public street install is new…

Plugless have been doing this for 5+ years, around £3000 to add it to your car (Tesla/leaf/ i3) and includes 7kW charging pad for your home.

BMW have also trialled it, but not in production.

1 Like

And more importantly the amazing charging speeds. As I said above this is a huge increase on the lowly specs previously achieved.
Be interesting to see a charge curve with the wireless technology vs. The standard fastned charge curve with cable connection for the i-pace.

1 Like

Less losses at higher charging levels than wired - 150kwh wireless already ‘a thing’ :wink:

Still dont understand why this isnt being rolled out by pioneers such as Elon

1 Like

I’m not in a position to watch the video at the moment, but is any mention made of the efficiency of the technology? I’d imagine copper is a far more efficient medium for the transfer of energy so I’d be interested to know what the “cost” of the convenience is in terms of energy wastage.

I was quite shocked when I realised how much more power it takes to charge my phone wirelessly rather than going though the drudgery and hassle of plugging an old-style cable into it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Takes 50hz ac and converts to 85khz ac at 99.9% efficiency…
It works better at a higher air gap than a low air gap, ideal for buses etc.
He shows this in I-pace by using air suspension to raise the height of the car.

2 Likes

TFL trialled the 69 route from Walthamstow Central with a BYD wireless charging electric bus back in 2016…. Think for half a hour sitting there it was enough charge to do one trip to Canning Town with a full bus of people.

2 Likes

Wireless charging will be the key turning point from ICE to EVs - desirability will become Truly exponential
How many ladies / girls, pensioners and infirm drivers would choose to manhandle heavy cables carrying vast power, let alone ‘manage’ the charging event safely
Thats before u even consider the Huge convenience factor :slight_smile:
It cant come too soon…

2 Likes

This statement is out of order on so many levels :wink:

7 Likes

I really, really hope you’re being ironic with this statement?

3 Likes

Well…

…regardless

EV Musings’ latest episode on disabilities: ‎The EV Musings Podcast on Apple Podcasts

@E7EV i farted once in a lift…. That was wrong on so many levels…… :weary:

3 Likes

Taxi for @Sifmode

2 Likes

@mozzauk

1 Like

I could have gone full South Park, but wanted to keep it family friendly… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You sure? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yes, but it really needs both car manufacturers to offer it as a factory option, and public charge pads to appear to make it worth them doing. Catch-22.

Cars are unlikely to get this first, it will be buses, taxis as they have designated stops or parking and will enable them to go fully electric rather than the hybrid nonsense.
Once this is more mainstream, then we will see other forms of transport getting the technology.

1 Like

So - wireless charging in practice:

3 Likes