We have a new customer service phone number! 0345 0348 647

Hey everyone, we just wanted to make you all aware of our new Customer Service number: 0345 0348 647, which has replaced our old 0800 030 6840 number.

Just as a reminder, the lines are open 24/7 for breakdown and emergencies while our regular Customer Service hours are 8am-7pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5pm on weekends, for anything else.

Don’t forget, you can always email us at [email protected], or use our website’s Live Chat feature to get in touch.

By the way, have you seen our new Help centre? It’s a great source of information about all things Onto, and you can just type your question in!

As always, if you have any questions, do let us know by commenting below!

10 Likes

Any reason for the change from the 0800 to 0345 number apart from costs??

Is this number included in peoples mobile phone tariffs or is this a chargeable number with the service charge attached per minute.

And also when will the 0800 number stop working and will this be communicated to all customers?

2 Likes

All regular 01, 02 and 03 numbers are considered geographic and will be charged at the standard rate for any landline number. If you have an inclusive allowance for UK minutes as part of your calling plan then you will not be charged for calling the number.

Basically unless you’re pay as you go there’s no real difference to customers calling this number, though Onto will be saving a bit of money by ditching an 0800 Freephone number.

2 Likes

No I know that but some numbers attract a service charge… and out of bundle costs will soon rack up especially as some networks charge upto 55p per minute to call 0345 numbers and good ol BT charge around 9p per minute

OntO take a rev share from 0345 numbers where as 0800 numbers cost them between 6p and 10p per minute to receive the calls.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I Have done anything in this business, but from memory there is no access charge attached to any geographic numbers like Onto’s new 0345 number. It’s only your 08 and 09 nunbers which are allowed to add this on.

Yeah if you are paying out of allowance charges or are pay as you go, then you’ll definitely end up paying a fair amount if your call isn’t answered quickly. But I think these days anyone who doesn’t have a monthly allowance of minutes is very much in the minority now. In the real world very few will be affected, and honestly those who don’t have such an allowance are probably overpaying (Consider that it’s expected that all Onto customers will have a smartphone. If you want basically ANY data allowance for your smartphone, you can be almost certain that you’ll have a monthly bundle that will come with minutes too)

2 Likes

That’s correct. Ofcom require the networks to treat 03 the same as 01/02, including within bundles.

ONTO will not be making any money from calls. Ofcom banned revenue share on 03 in 2015.

New number saved to contacts.

6 Likes

I stand corrected… :slight_smile:

Still sounds like a cost cutting exercise though

I think that’s exactly what it is. I don’t have a problem with it though as 99% of people won’t be charged anything for it. Most people I know are on unlimited minutes plans or at least hardly use their minutes for anything since most things are done online or calls done via WhatsApp or Facetime etc.

2 Likes

As a private company that exists to make profit, that’s exactly what I’d expect them to do. It’s a cost cutting exercise with few downsides for the customer.

Hoping they go further and make every customer interaction self-service, via the mobile app. They can have a phone line for emergencies only.

The online swaps is a good step forward :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi all - just to clarify - we’ve not changed our number as a way to make any profit - in fact, our new number is not a premium rate number and instead treated as a local call within the UK.

We don’t stand to make a penny by changing our number. We’ve had to change it as part of our efforts to improve our Customer Service offerings - whereby Onto Customer Service will be available 24/7 in the not too distant future.

I hope this helps to explain :wink:

7 Likes

Are there any plans to also bring Live Chat to the mobile app? This would be really helpful.

Unless it’s already there and I’ve missed it…

1 Like

Hey @mozzauk - to answer your questions:

• Both the customer and us pay for an 0800 number, whereas 03 numbers are included in most phone packages. Switching to 03 is better for all of us!

• Most tariffs now include 03 numbers, so hopefully it won’t make any difference to those calling. (As a side note, calling an 03 number costs the same as calling any landline number)

• Both numbers are running currently but of course, we will be communicating when the 0800 number is no longer in action. If you call the old 0800 number when it is out of action, there will be an automated message leading to the new number as well :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I guess the perception is you’ve gone from a freephone number (which costs you money) to a “normal” number which costs you less.

Personally I don’t have any issue with it (aside from needing to do a double take every time I see an 0345 to work out if it’s chargeable or not), but personally prefer 01 or 02 numbers as I know they are included in my plan!

Once learned the hard way about 0845 numbers after I got about a £30 bill when I needed to call DHL for something and remain on hold for ages – never again! (The site https://www.saynoto0870.com is pretty great) :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s nice to have you here clearing things up. Can I just ask you which car you’d choose out of onto’s lineup if you could only pick one to drive? And which car you currently drive? It’s interesting to learn about the preferences of Onto’s most frequent official forum poster.

Also new number, now can we expect a new car announcement in February, it’s my birthday month? Please say yes or at least hint.

3 Likes

Thanks Raheel and Lily,

Good to hear C/S is going 24/7 as we ease a lot of people pain points… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @Tyson - that is a valid point of view, which I can understand, but from our side, we’ve not swapped numbers to save ay money - we weren’t able to carry over our current 0800 number as part of the upgrade & a new number had to be obtained.

We would never try to charge or expect our customers to incur additional costs to speak to us - but we weren’t able to obtain another 0800 number to fit our plans. :frowning:

@Ben - we’re always looking to make improvements but there’s currently no immediate plans to add Live Chat into the app itself, although it’s constantly being reviewed, along with everything else here.

@Curtis Curtis - great question. out of the current lineup, I would personally choose the Audi e-tron 55 Black Edition if money was no object - but if it was, I would go for either the ID3 or Kona. I’ve had the privilege of sampling some of the fleet & those would be my choices as of right now. I’m also currently in a Kona Ultimate as my daily driver (via Onto of course :slight_smile: )

I can’t comment on any new vehicle’s at the moment but - definitely keep your eyes peeled for possible announcements sooner rather than later if all pans out accordingly.

@mozzauk it will be indeed - we’ve grown exponentially within the last 12 months and experienced some teething pains along the way - which most of our customers have understood & been patient about - the next 12 months will bring more chances of course along with some exciting announcements - but I’ve been sworn to secrecy in the meantime :zipper_mouth_face:

6 Likes

Callers don’t pay anything for 0800 numbers now, even mobile operators aren’t allowed to charge for 0800 calls.

The 03xx numbers don’t cost any more than an 01/02 number, so it’s perfect for ONTO and customers, the only downside I could see is if someone was stranded without a phone or change, they can’t call 03 numbers free from a payphone.

2 Likes

There shouldn’t be any rebrand. They’ve already done so, changing the name from Evezy to Onto with a simple but effective logo, and then spending a good amount on TV Advertising with this brand.

The phone number still works, and even some time down the line it will direct others to the new number. The sticker still gave details of the company name which was nice and easy to search online, as well as a QR code to scan which would still work. It’s hardly false information nor necessary to remove the stickers anytime soon.

8 Likes

Hi @NickyOH - we don’t consider a change of phone numbers to be a rebrand - however, we are currently in the process of updating and ordering new window stickers for our cars - they’ll be updated as and when we receive them back.

In the meantime, please don’t remove the clear Onto sticker on the drivers window, as the phone number listed does still work in conjunction with the new number.

We have tried to explain why a new number was needed - I’m not personally sure why we were not able to get a “premium number” - however, all customers whether new or prospective should have no issues reaching us on the new number we’ve obtained.

If you are struggling to reach us, please let our Customer Service Team know - they can also be reached on Live Chat or via email - both free of cost.

6 Likes