Vauxhall Mokka-e CarPlay Issue

Hello,

I just got delivered the Mokka-e and its infotainment system is driving me crazy as CarPlay works 1 out of 10 times when I connect the iPhone. The cable is definitely working so I really think it’s an issue with the Mokka-e software.

Has anyone faced this issue and found a way to solve it? The Vauxhall phone app says there isn’t any infotainment software update available.

I’m desperate as I basically can’t use the satnav when using the car. :sleepy:

The Mokka-e is essentially the same car as me (eC4) and I had this issue when I first got the car.

Make sure it’s an original iPhone cable and not a 3P one even if it works elsewhere.

Plug the iPhone in AFTER turning the car on and sometimes you will get a prompt to your phone to allow pairing or something. Once that happens for me it will be absolutely fine until it decides to give me the prompt again.

If all else fails, the nav in the stelantis cars is actually decent and I’ve used it a few times.

1 Like

Ditto, this is the only cable that works as per other posts/threads.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the cable is an original Apple one and I only use original cables so it’s definitely a car issue.

I’d just like to understand if there is a specific “procedure” to make it work constantly instead of hoping it will work.

I’ve booked an appointment with a Vauxhall garage but they are so busy that the next available appointment is in about a month. :sleepy:

In which case the next option is to try and reset the multimedia unit.
Not sure of the procedure for the mokka, but usually an extended hold of the on/off button does a reset with most cars. If not there might be an embedded factory reset in the menus.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I also did a factory reset from the menu as well as a factory reset by long pressing the ON/OFF button and after the reset the problem still persists.

It might be that the USB port is faulty but to me it really seems a software bug that’s why I wanted to ask to the community if there was a known workaround to it.

I have no options but to wait for a garage appointment and then see if they can fix it but I’m kind of skeptical; I hope to be wrong… :pensive:

1 Like

Apple Car Play is a buggy as either other phone based Auto Service, even Android Auto…

It might be worth looking on the likes of SpeakEV to see if any one else has come across it…

1 Like

You’ve nothing to lose by trying another genuine Apple cable if you haven’t done so already. Does the phone charge when connected?

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

@mozzauk

Apple Car Play is a buggy as either other phone based Auto Service, even Android Auto…
It might be worth looking on the likes of SpeakEV to see if any one else has come across it…

I didn’t have a single issue with CarPlay in the last 3-4 years and I’ve used it with at least 10 different models. I have no doubts that if there is a software bug that must be on the Vauxhall side, especially when looking on how they have arranged the infotainment system. I think that whoever did that in Vauxhall never actually drove a car before. It’s just so un-intuitive other than wasting 1/2 of the screen to display very not useful data which they could just overlay with the CarPlay/AndroidAuto screen like all other car vendors do. The Vauxhall infotainment system does look very lame in my opinion.

Thanks for the SpeakEV suggestion, I’ll have a look. :pray:

@E7EV

You’ve nothing to lose by trying another genuine Apple cable if you haven’t done so already. Does the phone charge when connected?

I actually tried with other 2 original cables and the issue is the same.
And yes, the phone charges every single time I connect it. It’s just the AppleCar functionality that doesn’t kick in 9 out of 10 times.

2 Likes

Wait a minute!

Which usb port are you using? Car Play only works in the USB-C port and not the USB-A one

Edit: looks like the Mokka doesn’t have USB-C. That caught me out in the eC4.

Looks like there is a setting in the audio settings to enable and disable car play. Have you checked there?

Yes sadly the Mokka-e still has USB-A but that’s a minor issue TBH if only CarPlay was working.

It really feels like a downgrade compared to the lovely Kona I had but I was forced to swap as it went into the Refresh&Retire scheme.:sob:

And yes I’ve checked the audio settings as well. Consider that without doing anything different 1 out of 10 it works so it can’t be a setting in the phone and/or in the car.

My bet is either a faulty usb socket which would be still good as they will fix it or a software bug which would be way more painful since the fix will not depend on the garage but on the factory itself.

My bet would be software. As I say, I had exactly the same as you when I first got the eC4, but after the first few weeks of having it, it’s like the car and phone finally made friends and it just started working everytime.

Gotta love technology :crazy_face:🥸:nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s a software issue as well but I’m afraid it’s a bug which will take Vauxhall a long time to fix if they will ever fix it. I’ve tried with 3 different cables now and tried again to remove the car from the bluetooth and CarPlay lists but no success so far.

Mokka experience for me:

Cable, non-OEM, braided, sturdy, tended to work with other things. Worked from Day 1

After about three weeks. Stopped Working!

Tried several cables. Including brand new OEM directly from Apple. No, non, nein, nada, niet!

About ten days later, idly tried original cable. Worked. :man_shrugging:t2:

Continued working for remainder of my tenure…. (Five months)…… :crazy_face:

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying. At the moment the phone and the car are passing each other in the street, in the “Hey, nice to see you!” Phase. That will go on for a bit. As soon as they stop for a second to form that bond and become BFF’s, it’ll work forever. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@K12Beano

Thanks for sharing your experience.
To me this is a clear sign that Mokka software is very unstable which is a concern.

Depending on a system which works/doesn’t work with for no good reasons is the worst. :pensive:

1 Like