Tesla Inc plans to open up its network of superchargers to other electric vehicles later this year

(Reuters) - Tesla Inc plans to open up its network of superchargers to other electric vehicles later this year, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said on Twitter.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ditto, ditto, ditto. (just the one, but not enough chars or is that cars) I did search but didnt find your post, so its a dupe. But my title says it all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder whether it will be down to manufacturers to do a deal with Tesla or individual drivers. Obviously it could only be vehicles that can do auto charge. ONTO could register their non Tesla vehicles that are compatible and pay direct for charging.

2 Likes

I feel this could be a dangerous gamble for Tesla. I think one of the major advantages a Tesla has over other premium EVs is the Supercharger network. If they open it to other cars that could make getting a Tesla a lot less desirable and the decision which EV to get would be more about other features the cars have and their build quality.

Unless they follow Ionity and charge 70p per kWh for non Tesla customers to keep the peasants away.

4 Likes

As Elon would himself point out… Elon Musk set out to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy. With solar, battery storage, and electric cars, Musk is looking (deeply) at practical clean energy solutions for the planet. He’s even opened the company’s patents to expedite EV adoption by others in the auto industry.

You have to lead in order for others to follow.

As @E7EV points out the deal they strike will define the outcome.

4 Likes