Rewards for damages

Hello

Having had my car for a year I have 6167 rewards points and would like to put that towards damage (4 scratches = £490), can I do that?

Hi @jimmieschew - welcome to the community :wink::grin:

If you’ve not had a chance yet, you can find our help section on our website - which should cover quite a few standard queries.

For your query, you aren’t able to use reward points towards damage costs

When Onto decide to make changes to their terms and conditions they need to:

1. Communicate this clearly with subscribers
  2. Make sure that ALL of the literature is updated to reflect this.

As your terms and conditions page still says otherwise - Onto - Rewards Terms

3.1 Accumulated points can be redeemed against the following:

• Additional named drivers
  • Exchange of vehicle
  • Mileage package
  • Damage excess

This isn’t the first time that Onto have made sneaky changes like this. The excess reduction policy that originally did waive all liability for tire and windscreen damage but suddenly doesn’t anymore is a great example of this and even if subscribers are only contracted for one month at a time it’s still pretty bad practice to not be letting everyone know and leave it until they try to claim to find out that they’ve changed their mind… Especially when half of the information online is still showing out of date terms to suggest nothing has changed.

5 Likes

I was about to post similar but I assumed I was in the wrong. This isn’t the first term that’s been changed without any notice or warning.

2 Likes

@Koda @Kev - are you guys referring to the “damage excess”? As this means the excess reduction - not reducing a damage invoice itself.

This isn’t a sneaky change or hidden amendment - you’ve always been able to do the following with reward points:

3.1 Accumulated points can be redeemed against the following:

• Additional named drivers
  • Exchange of vehicle
  • Mileage package
  • Damage excess
2 Likes

This was a thing from the early days of the rewards program, but there was no excess reduction package until recently.

I have to disagree.

That’s an Onto staff member confirming it was possible, and a subscriber confirming that they have successfully made such a redemption. If you’re saying that’s not possible now, the rules definitely have been changed at some point.

3 Likes

In fact I found a post that makes it even clearer:

5 Likes

Somebody having a Boris moment😇

2 Likes

@Koda @Kev - I’ll get this checked and confirmed for clarity - thanks both for flagging :pray:

@BenR_at_Onto - would you be able to shed some light on this please - would we cover damage costs via reward points?

1 Like

That’s forgivable… But a Biden moment… :joy: :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Love these threads, sad when Onto doesn’t know what Onto does :grinning:

1 Like

Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re gonna get.”. – Forrest Gump.

2 Likes

Hi @Jimmi1 - I would like to think I’m providing a fair service for our customers on here - sure we make mistakes from time to time, like everyone else - the important thing is that we seek clarity, understanding and a confirmation for the community at large.

A clear response will help put this matter to rest - be that with an instant reply, or when confronted with differentiating information, further clarity on the matter.

I don’t see anything wrong with seeking clarity for our customers and community, however, I do apologise if my actions or words have caused you any distress or inconvenience in this instance.

2 Likes

@Raheel_at_Onto Thank you for tagging me in!

To provide as much clarity as possible, please see below.

I head the damages team and can confirm that we can redeem Loyalty Points against the following:

• Damage invoice
  • Missing items

Unfortunately, I cannot comment if they can be redeemed on excess payments, however, they can be redeemed against invoices that occurred during your sub-period such as mileage, etc…

I hope this helps :innocent:

4 Likes

thanks @BenR_at_Onto :slight_smile:

@jimmieschew @Koda @Kev - confirmation from our Head of Damages :arrow_up:

I hope this helps clarify our position

3 Likes

@Raheel_at_Onto the comments were not aimed at you but Onto in general, if you change anything in the T&C you then make sure you change any mention of them in any online sources you have.
This would avoid confusion, wrong info given and more importantly any liability issues arising from the false info.
As I have found out by contacting a incorrect e-mail address from your site :dizzy_face:
Sorry if I offended you as you seem to be the most knowledgeable Onto person on here

2 Likes

@Jimmi1 - thank you for clarifying and no offense taken :slight_smile: - appreciate the feedback always.

We’re a growing business and with everything that entails, we will make mistakes. We do try to always resolve, clarify and update our customers and where appropriate, we will always take on board feedback (negative and positive) and implement changes.

As always - definitely appreciate the feedback from our community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So just coming back to the original question, my understanding is that the answer is still yes.

2 Likes

@Raheel_at_Onto having had my own business website for years I know how important it is to keep T&C updated.
Wee tip I got was when updating likes of T&C put the date you updated in brackets like (updated 08/06/2022) this shows customers they have been updated

2 Likes