Renault Zoe - Motorway Range

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has a good idea of what range I’d be expecting from a Motorway run from London to Manchester in May, guessing the weather will be half decent and ambient temp of about 10-18 degrees, if not more hopefully. I’m trying to figure out the best places to charge along the way with zap map but I’m a little dubious of the system saying 190 miles between charges…
I’m a seasoned electric car driver so I know about weather, outside temp and etc. Just interested in peoples experience of range on a motorway run.
Combined from 30/40/50mph roads currently I’m getting around 175-190 miles a charge, sitting at 4.5 to 4.8 Mp/kWh
Any ideas of rough estimated range at 65mph-70mph would be awesome, so I can correctly set the route :slight_smile:

If it’s crap I’ll just do as I was planning to and swap the car for a month or two to compensate for the low range on a motorway :ok_hand:

J

Use ABRP. It will be much more accurate at working out exactly how far your Zoe will be able to go along that specific route and telling you where you need to charge, and how long for. It can take into account variables like the weather so you can play around with that and see how it affects you.

The Zoe does actually have a good range even on the motorway and is perfectly capable. Just remember that it isn’t the fastest when it comes to rapid charging. Swapping to other cars is an option too as you say. I Know someone else here took an e-208 on a long trip recently and said it was a little faster than the Zoe thanks to the faster charging, but that only helps if all your charging can take place at 100kW+ chargers as otherwise that car would have a shorter range that Zoe and if only charging at the usual 50kW rapids it will probably be slower.

1 Like

@Koda ok, I’ll have a look for that. Thanks for the tip
Yeah, I’m not so worried about charging times, I’m on holiday - should be in Miami (cancelled trip for the 3rd time) but I’m making up for it with a trip around the country to see friends I haven’t seen for a few years etc with my spare miles - which I have amassed during lockdown. A hour here or there isn’t too much for a concern.
Use most of the miles up on the Zoe I have left and then when we are in summer swap to a bigger more capable EV, which is actually going to get some miles out on it regularly!

I did a fairly lengthy motorway drive in my ZE50 GT Line a few weeks ago and got about 3.2mpkWh average (some 60mph, some 70mph, little traffic, heating on low), I estimated I’d have got about 160ish miles from full to almost empty.

1 Like

Yeah I was expecting around the 150-170 mark. Thanks @seabass for the input! Appreciated.

1 Like

No worries. Just to add, it was about 7 degrees, battery was cold at the start, mostly dry with only a bit of rain on the journey. I used Cruise Control so no differences in letting off the accelerator etc.

1 Like

Just a quick point - Cruise control tends to use quite a lot of acceleration power to quickly get you up to speed, and will sometimes waste power that can be avoided by planning ahead. Using the speed limiter paired with your right foot will actually give better results most of the time, if you want to get the most range per charge.

1 Like

That’s mostly what I did, I’d get up to speed gradually (using Eco mode) and then let Cruise Control take over when I was up to the correct speed. Was pleasantly surprised how little power it used when cruising at 70mph.

1 Like

Don’t know about the Zoe, but normally these days cruise will also hold the car back on steep down hill sections via a little bit of regen, whereas it’d be more efficient to allow gravity to do its thing, build up some free speed and use that momentum to help travel over the next flat stretch or up the next incline. Obviously not recommended if it means going over the speed limit, officer, but otherwise will help eek out a bit more from the battery.

1 Like

My drive was done as purely a test to see what the ZE50 could do, it then transpired I needed an update to the car as it was showing an incorrect SOH for the battery (down by 20%), so I’d hope I could get a bit more out of it anyway, especially on a warmer day.

I tend to be a bit heavy-footed on the accelerator, especially outside of Eco mode, hence why I chose to use Cruise Control.

2 Likes

Done a chunk of motorway driving in the Zoe in December. Then it was around 140 miles. However, there’s a battery management system fix that I had applied to the Zoe I’ve got just now and wow did it make a difference to the range, I’ve not done many motorway miles since having it applied though.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the input. Let’s see how we go next month. :+1::+1::+1:

You could also just adjust your speed until the GOM matches the remaining miles according to the SatNav plus a 10 to 20 mile safety margin. This depends on whether you have a reliable charging solution at your destination

2 Likes