One pedal driving in the ID.3, ID.4, Audi Q4 e-Tron, Skoda Enyaq iV or even Porsche Taycan - Not available

A car with strong one pedal regen being driven well will be no more or less efficient that an equivalent model with weak one pedal regen that requires more brake pedal input.

The difference is in the amount of brake pedal input.

The amount of regen can be modulated using the accelerator pedal - if people are slowing down heavily and then accelerating then they are just doing it wrong.

In the i3 there is an indicated coasting point - but it takes a bit of time to get used to it.

I think this is why systems like the i3 are possibly not so common - people go on 30 minute test drives and don’t know how to drive it… they accelerate, then lift off fully, then accelerate. Their passengers feel sick. They think the car is jerky. The dealers are useless. They probably lost a lot of sales because of it. Live with it for a little while, get used to is, and most seem to love it.

Drive it ‘badly’, lurching from full regen to acceleration and back, and yes efficiency will definitely be less than if it had a smart regen system that automatically coasted when the road was clear etc.

3 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with this in the e-208. If you just position the accelerator correctly, you can get to a point where the power meter shows neither regen or consumption. You can definitely feel the car coasting. Is there an easier and legal way of doing this using the “gear” selector?

3 Likes

Yes - I mean, I’m pretty sure this is the case with all EVs to some degree - it’s just that with the i3 it’s the only way to coast (other than cruise control), and the dashboard display encourages it and helps the driver achieve coasting.

In the e208 and other similar EVs it’s there too, but you can also just lift off in D mode and have minimal regen.

I’m not keen on shifting into neutral to try and achieve coasting - it’s just not what the car is designed to do and you never can really be sure how it’s going to react in certain circumstances.

2 Likes

I assume this is really what the smart drive does accept the final stage of stopping isnt as final as in one pedal but i assume if they manage to get the car to stop behind another car or at a junction automatically which it sort of starts doing now then that wiill be even better than one pedal as it becomes almost autonomous .Because on the id3 it coasts and then starts to regen brake when it nears junctions or speed limit changes and i would assume coupled with acc will also do the same behind another car ?

1 Like

Well, BMW is German and the i3 has very nice one pedal driving :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ideally i would rather have my foot off the pedal completely and have it resting to brake in emergency rather than having to keep it at a certain pressure and angle for long periods of time which will become painful so i thing vw and audi are going down the right route they just need to tweek it a bit and knowing the germans they will perfect it at some stage

1 Like

Back in 2011, I frequently drove some left-hand drive early versions of the Mini-e that my employer had to test drive and feedback prior to the cars being used to transport people at the London Olympics (we had about 12 of them I think). The regen braking/one-pedal driving was pretty fierce back then and as it was my 1st experience of EVs, if you took your foot off the accelerator it would quickly grind to a halt. Compared to my 11 month experience of an Audi e-tron 50 which I’d mainly driven with mainly auto recuperation (as Audi call it) via paddles to slow you down and then foot-brake to stop. As I mainly do town driving, I changed to manual regen and my efficiency has definitely increased but still not to the point of being able to stop completely.

Yeah I think the i3’s system is good for the type of car that is - it’s obviously designed primarily for urban travel where most people, most of the time aren’t going to be driving at a constant speed for long. Like I said earlier though, an i3 with ACC is really good for longer journeys too - as long as the driver is aware that if the ACC fails the car will then start slowing under regen - you need to learn when to anticipate ACC problems so you can quickly apply accelerator input and override the regen.

A car with really strong regen is great around London or other hectic areas because the time it takes to start quickly slowing is so much less that in an ICE car or on an EV with weak regen.

For cars which are also designed with the prospect of more frequent longer journeys in mind, it probably does make more sense to use systems where coasting is the default - particularly given ACC systems are getting better and more reliable and smart regen is a viable option.

I guess (in theory at least) the ideal is to have something like the Ioniq 5 does where you’ve got regen to a stop if you want it, smart regen if you want it, and selectable levels too……but……sometimes too many options can also be a negative.

2 Likes

They’re scared of alienating new customers transferring from ICE. They could though offer it as an option and let the customer choose what braking mode they want to use. Tesla did this and I usually selected one pedal driving. In fact this feature was added to the vehicle via an over the air update while I had the vehicle for a month. It was great on hills. You progressively eased off the accelerator until you reached the junction at the top of the hill. The park brake would engage. You could then move away when you were ready, all without fear of rolling back, and never removing your foot from contact with the accelerator pedal.

2 Likes

The BMW i4 will have selectable regen options I gather - hopefully with a full one pedal to a stop mode.

The way you describe the Tesla is the same as the i3 was - easily the most intuitive and smoothest to drive out of it, the Kona and the e208.

The absence of auto-hold on the e208 is pretty annoying sometimes. For a start it makes traffic light getaways a lot slower than in the i3 simply because you have to move your foot from brake to accelerator.

2 Likes

Yea not having auto hold in 2021 is a bit dismal - it’s such a convenience once you’ve used it - i wouldn’t want to go back.

Auto hold is more important than a reversing camera for me :rofl:

2 Likes

Someone on YouTube should do a regen comparison where they have a bunch of EVs driving side-by-side at 20 / 30 / 40 mph and they all lift off in unison and see where each stops……and for the ones that don’t stop see which reaches a further point first.

2 Likes

Great idea. We should all get together and make the video. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m starting a YouTube channel this weekend - been slowly squirrelling away getting everything sorted out - I’ll try and capture my experience tomorrow from delivery onwards - will definitely stick up pics either way :rofl:

8 Likes

very strange today i switched back to the B mode on the ID.3 and it now brings the car to a full stop and its pretty aggressive,as aggressive as my kona was ??? i dont think i changed any settings but it now feels very much more like 1 pedal driving,i will keep it in this mode for a couple of days to see if it continues to be so aggressive and i will also take a video aswell

1 Like

I’ve been trying D mode out more in the ID.3 and I like it quite a lot now. As usual, I think it’s all about getting used to it. It’s very intelligent and slows you right down using regen if there’s a car in front braking or you come to a roundabout/junction. It also applies a smaller amount of regen if you are cornering. It’s almost like a mini ACC but toy do have to be on the ball. You’ll need to brake yourself if turning off a road or coming up to red traffic lights as in these instances it won’t apply any regen.

3 Likes

Blimey, didn’t expect to come back to the forum this morning and see a raft of posts against this new thread :scream:

So I haven’t had a chance to read through everything, (I will later when I have more time today) but it’s clearly sparked some good discussion.

I love one pedal driving and find it very easy and intuitive to use, but then I am old school who was taught to drive a car rather than later generations who are taught to pass their driving test. A big difference and it still makes me cringe when in a flat supermarket car park i here drivers using the ratchet on the mechanical handbrake. All that does is wear it out very fast. Totally not needed, only time required is on a steep incline. I used the ratchet during my driving test, so the tester could hear I was using it, never used it all since, unless it’s a steep incline. And of course we were all taught to use the gearbox to control speed on hills, corners and drive through them, which naturally inspires you to have one pedal driving in an EV. (That old school using the gearbox, changing down for corners, is of course the correct way to use an ICE, but it probably also has some foundations in the fact that many decades ago brakes were not as amazingly good as they are today!)

I have just driven in the i-pace to Northampton and in the nearly hour drive in towns, country roads, dual carriageways and roundabouts haven’t used the brake pedal once (and there is plenty of rush hour traffic around) and in general that’s normal in a one pedal EV setup. The I-pace is set to high regen and stays in that mode without intervention. There is a low regen mode also, but I have never used it once I had tested the various modes.

My wife and I (and our grown up siblings) are the same type of drivers so really want another EV that has this capability. I thought the ID.3 was going to be a car we would have (had a pre-order deposit on that too) but it’s not to be for us, although I do like it a lot and seen many on the roads (along with all other make/models lately) and would hope that VW (VAG) do an OTA update to enable a true one pedal mode soon across the group vehicles.

In the meantime I am looking forward to test driving a Mach-e in a weeks time and also getting a first viewing of the Kia EV6. Exciting times in the mobility world :blush:

4 Likes

have you tried the regen B today ,for some reason it is very aggressive and slows me to a stop whereas before it hardly did anything,not sure if a setting has changed but its much more impressive now and may have swayed me back to B driving from D driving ,i may have to do a comparison video for the channel of the 2 modes for stopping

2 Likes

@Slimtrader10 is your car on 2.1 software or have you got the latest 2.3?

VW talk about the ‘intelligent energy recuperation‘ but it doesn’t seem to say it’s learning about driving style.

1 Like

Not today I haven’t. I’ll have a go later. You haven’t downloaded a new update have you?

1 Like