One pedal driving in the ID.3, ID.4, Audi Q4 e-Tron, Skoda Enyaq iV or even Porsche Taycan - Not available

Having recently test driven these 4 cars (ID.3, ID.4, Audi Q4 e-Tron, Skoda Enyaq iV) I found it really odd that in default mode they just coast when you let off the accelerator and in B regen mode they hardly do any regen and you need to use the brakes a lot, so definately not a one pedal driving experience unlike most other EV’s.

I summised that this was a consious decision by VW (VAG) in another thread as below…
"Regen needs to be selected each time you drive, which is quite frankly a pain if you are used to one pedal driving and the regen does very little. I was very surprised how little it really does and with it totally off it just coasts along like a train. One pedal driving is not an option in the ID.3 and you will be using the brakes often.

I guess VW (VAG) have decided that this is the way to get ICE customers to feel like there is little difference in EV’s (to ICE) and it’s a way to help them transfer easily. After all the ID.3 is the replacement Golf and the mainstream car for the masses. If that’s the case it’s a shame as it really needs to have better regen and would benefit the overall economy/efficiency."

And doing some searching I discovered this link were VW explain this…

There are other links like this one too…

For me it totally spoils the dynamics of the car and its unlikely I would want any of these cars, no matter how much I like many of the models and features they offer. There is of course the possibility that VW (VAG) could update the software so there was an option in the menus to turn on one pedal driving and I do trust they enable that at some point in the future.

It will be interesting to see just how the conversion of the masses to EV’s is enabled by this decision.

5 Likes

Yes it seems like something that you’d think could be done with a software update. I’m sure the i3 had it’s regen reduced at one point in it’s life via an update???

I personally don’t see the harm in having differing strengths of regen available depending on driver preference, like they do in the Korean cars.

I don’t find the regen too bad in the ID.3. It’s not noticeably different to the PSA cars. The Ioniq was slightly better but you definitely need to use the paddles or brakes to slow you to a stop quite often.

2 Likes

to be honest i have never really got the one pedal concept as yes the regen slows you down but you still have to hit the brake at the end to stop unless your a mathematical genius and no exactly when to take foot off the accelerator so that the regen stops you at exactly the point you want to stop lol

Have you driven a car with true one pedal driving? The regeneration is so strong it’s like putting the brakes on (not emergency brake but pretty strong) and so in all intents and purposes you don’t need to use the brake.

The first couple of drives I actually hated it, now I really like it and am going to miss it.

3 Likes

Have you tried an i3 though? I found it pretty easy to judge in the i3 and it soon became second nature.

The only downside with the i3 was that it would often not bring to you a stop on a down hill slope - so when arriving at junction at the bottom of hill you had to remember that the brakes would often be required.

3 Likes

The worst and most frustrating sort of implementation, in my view, is when there is the option to have very strong regen……but then it still basically disappears when you get below a certain speed - like in the Kona on paddle setting 3.

If I can’t have i3 like regen to a stop, I much prefer a system like the e208 where even in B mode the regen is not as strong and so the fact that it doesn’t come to a stop is nowhere near as incongruous.

Giving me the option of strong regen but then not allowing it to bring the car to a stop was just annoying.

Thankfully Hyundai have realised the error of their ways and the Ioniq 5 does have a proper one pedal option.

3 Likes

the thing is whats wrong with tapping the brake pedal hahahah the big issue with strong regen one pedal is its an issue if your just driving along a road and want to keep at a certain speed because everytime you take your foot off the pedal the regen slows you down very quick so you are constantly accelerating to get up to the speed ,i think this is the argument with the smart drive mode on audis and vw is any benefit from the regen you lose by the accelerating whereas if the smart drive can keep you at the speed by coasting using no energy in the long run it is more efficient ?
i may be wrong but thats what i have read into the smart drive mode and thats what is eluded to with the reviews

The one pedal driving is not like an on/off switch. You adjust the speed you want to go by taking your foot off the pedal slightly or press down again slightly. Once you have figured this out (which only takes a couple of hours driving at most) it’s actually extremely accurate and even in cars with lower regen you can drive it one pedal, except for the last push on the brake pedal as you’re about to come to a halt.

1 Like

yep i understand the concept and everything but why do people get so excited about it i have driven ice cars for over 30 years and done fine using and accelerator and brake…what i want to know is can someone explain why its better or is it just laziness not wanting to move your foot a few inches :rofl:

I think you need to try it - I’m getting the impression you haven’t driven a car with proper one pedal to a stop?

The point about potentially having to constantly prevent heavy slowing by accelerating is sort of valid though….I don’t think I would have wanted to have an i3 that wasn’t equipped with adaptive cruise control (thankfully the Onto i3s were/are).

Having ACC meant that in situations where you were just going to be cruising along (and not needing to slow for tight bends or urban hazards), you could just rest your right foot and not have to always have the appropriate amount of on/off pressure. Without ACC, you couldn’t just lift off fully - unless you actually wanted full regen.

1 Like

I have had the kon and yes its still not a true 1 pedal but what i am trying to establish is whats the benefit…if it was that great why wasnt it used in ice cars…it just seems to be something that EV drivers love to boast about but what i would like to find out is if theres any true benefit to 1 pedal driving over normal driving…i dont care either way as i just drive an ev the same as i have driven all my cars but you hear this 1 pedal driving come up all the time and i think a lot of the time people dont even know what its purpose is but its something they measure cars against ? i find it interesting since doing my review channel how EV owners go on about there cars its probably worse than ICE drivers lol its quite funny in the facebook forums how most of them spout loads of stuff they have read or seen on youtube but dont know what there talking about …it would be good to see a real comparison on what difference it makes using both methods and if one pedal really is the future for cars…?

would it stop people buying an EV if it didnt have pedal driving ? or is it just a nice thing to have ?

How would you do regenerative braking in an ICE? What’s being regenerated?

And just because it wasn’t done before surely that doesn’t mean it’s not better right?

Everyone has a preference - one pedal driving is definitely the future with electric cars - it’s very intuitive and easy to get used to - of course not everyone will enjoy it but that doesn’t mean it’s not a big deal or not something to be excited about.

Surely people weren’t all happy when the seatbelt first appeared or when cars when from steering with tillers to steering wheels - it’s the same.

I take it from your comments that you’re not a fan - and without experiencing it it’s difficult to explain the intricacies of it. You may hate it after trying - but for others it’s a pleasure and even a preference.

Having experienced both traditional braking and one pedal I’m absolutely convinced one pedal is the future - it take so much of the effort out of it, regens the battery, saves on wear and tear, makes your drive much smoother & is just another step up in tech and ease of use.

2 Likes

I think the reason EV drivers love it (mostly) is a combination of a couple of things.

1. You’re gaining energy whenever your car starts to regen (of course!) and a stronger feel makes you feel like you’re gaining it more often.

2. Being able to just leave your foot on the one pedal and control your braking, coasting, acceleration - all with minor adjustments is incredibly simple and intuitive.

It wouldn’t put me off buying an EV if it didn’t have it as a lot of the cars have regen built into the first stage of braking using the brake pedal anyway, but it’s certainly something that is unique to the EV experience that can’t be replicated (for an obvious benefit) in an ICE car.

2 Likes

Yep I understand but recent reviews have now started to show that the constant slowing and acceleration negates the regeneration

I think it’s one of those things that difficult to convey though and has to be experienced really - some people aren’t that fussed by it, but it seems to me that the majority who try a car with it do end up really liking it.

It also probably depends on where people do most of their driving. If you are someone who spends most time cruising up and down motorways, then it’s not going to be major issue either way. On the other hand, if you do lots of driving involving stopping (for whatever reason) then it’s obviously more of a benefit.

Before the pandemic, I was commuting in busy urban traffic in the i3 and it was brilliant. It definitely would not have been as good in the Kona or e208 - simply because every single stop (junction, bus, traffic, pedestrian crossing etc etc) would require brake pedal input. In the i3 I literally only touched the brake pedal probably once or twice during each trip - if that.

Maybe you could try and hire an i3 from somewhere for a video.

2 Likes

Yes, I think you’re right. It’s about finding that balance for when you want to use it and when you don’t.

1 Like

For me, it’s not at all about efficiency…. Coming to a gentle stop in the Kona and I’m pretty sure in the e208 too just uses regen as well….it’s just that it’s not automatic when you lift off and requires activation via the brake pedal (or the hand paddle in the Kona’s case).

1 Like

I have experienced one pedal driving in both the Leaf and Model 3. Loved it. Easy to get used to and brilliant in urban driving.

3 Likes

On this, I think again it really comes to down the type of driving you do, and also what the alternatives are.

As we all know, with EVs we still aren’t really at the point where you can choose a car purely on the merits of the normal car stuff - by which I mean most people still have to give at least some consideration to how big is the ‘fuel tank’ and how fast can you fill up that tank - considerations which just never really came into the equation for the vast majority of ICE car purchases.

What I mean is, for most people there are probably still more important factors than does it have proper one pedal or not.

I still think it’s more than a nice-to-have…but it’s just that until battery tech is more mature and all cars charge really well it sort of gets relegated down the priority list by default.

2 Likes

What is very interesting is that the world best car manufacturers ( maybe lol) the germans have all opted not to go down the 0ne pedal route.Now they were all very late to the EV party so have been able to do a lot of R&D learning from other manufacturers mistakes and have opted for this smart drive mode.So it brings me back to the original question that i dont think that this one pedal heavy regen actually adds much to the efficiency ? what are your thoughts as i havent seen anyone come up with any research or figures into how much is actually put back into the battery against the extra acceleration needed to bring back up to speed.Im sure its something that will be refined and proved as EV become more main stream but for now i think its more of a marketing thing than actual factual