Octopus 🐙 Energy

I’m in the process of changing to Octopus as it’s cheaper than any other providers and everyone seems to recommend it for EV use. My question is do I take the GO tariff or the Agile tariff ?? The Go seems to be the one Octopus recommends for EV but everyone I’ve seen talk about it mentions the Agile ??? :confused:

You need to decide yourself which suits your needs better. Check out the Go tariff’s pricing. That’s fixed during the day and then has a guaranteed off peak period for a set low price per kWh every night.

Agile is about taking a risk, and being able to shift your usage. They reward you for being able to use the majority of your energy at periods of low demand, which will vary greatly. It might be cheaper but you don’t have any guarantees about that. If the risk pays off they can sometimes end up paying you to charge the car!

Be sure to check against other companies. Every household is different, and there are a number of other companies who offer EV tariffs. In fact for some, going with these special off peak plans can end up more expensive especially if you aren’t regularly charging at home and driving a reasonable distance. Remember too that especially if only using a granny cable you are limited on how much power you can push into your battery at off peak discounted times due to slower charging too.

For me, I don’t charge at home so it is a different usage case, but Octopus was considerably more expensive for my area and usage regardless of tariff, with even the big names undercutting prices. ESB Energy ultimately won my custom.

2 Likes

We are with Octopus Agile and have reduced our electricity bills by about 30-40%. If you are willing to change when you do things, then you can save a lot of money by going with a real-time tariff.

Sometimes, the pricing actually goes negative, if electricity production is far higher than demand (this happens a lot when it’s windy). This means Octopus will give you a bill credit for each kWh you use.

Of course, this does mean that during peak hours when demand is very high (usually 4-7pm), the price also goes very high, as high as 35p per kWh.

We fully charged the e208 last night and paid less than 1p per kWh (free of charge for a few hours).

That does seem good and is cheaper for longer than the go which is 5p/kWh only between 12:30&04:30 rest of the time for me it is 13.96p/kWh

It’s very difficult to compare pricing with Agile, as it varies so much. Last night was a particularly cheap night but tonight could end up being 5p+ per kWh. That’s the disadvantage of real-time pricing.

All I know is that our bills have gone down massively by working with Agile and changing our behaviours (dishwasher and washing machine on timer for overnight usage etc). None of the changes have felt inconvenient - we have adapted to them very easily.