New to ONTO - Any Tips

Hi, I’m new to the ONTO community and will receive my first ONTO car on 23rd June… Is anyone aware of when the 2nd part of the 1st payment is usually taken? What I mean by this, is it normally 7 or 10 days prior to delivery from your experiences. Also do you have to present a referral code at time of booking or can this be applied thereafter? Sorry there’s a few questions in one go. I’m so excited to get the Kona - any tips?? Thank you J

2 Likes

Welcome! From recollection 2nd part of first payment was taken on day of delivery in my case - not sure if this is always the same but there are threads on this forum about changing the date of the regular payment after the first one of you need to. I think referral has to be applied at time of first booking but you can always drop customer service a query - they are a friendly bunch and it can’t do any harm - you never know. On the Kona there is loads of useful advice and reviews on the forum. Threads on the Kona here Any tips with the Kona? and here Brand new 2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh joining our fleet! and there are lots more!

2 Likes

Welcome!
If you booked your delivery for more than 14 days away you will pay delivery + 50% of the first month at the time of booking, then the other 50% will be pre-authorised 7 days ahead of delivery (at the same time of day as you made your booking) followed by the payment being officially debited on the delivery day.

If you booked it for less than 14 days you will pay the full month charge plus delivery at the time of booking.

The referral code has to be used at the time of sign up. Now you made your first booking you’re too late I’m afraid :frowning:

Enjoy the Kona. I’m sure you’ll love it! Which color and trim level did you pick?

1 Like

Perfect! I’ll contact them as she what they say. The links will be very useful, I’ll have a read and thank you for the reply.

1 Like

Welcome, @Cherry. I’ve been really impressed with the Kona, which I’ve had for the past few months, having previously had the Zoe and the e-208.

I found it a very intuitive drive. Very comfortable. Really comes into its own on long cruises down the motorway. If I had any complaints it might be that there are possibly a few too many beeps and alarms (including the reversing beep :man_facepalming:). The brake pedal is a little unpredictable… but somehow you get used to it. The main downside for me is the charging speed. It’s really hard to get the top charging speed (77kW) out of it. But the range and efficiency are so impressive.

2 Likes

Thanks @koda. I went for the ultimate in white as there wasn’t much colour options… Personally I’m not a fan of red cars.

@sdmr These are really important points you make and ones I’m glad to be aware of… I often do fairly long motorway journey’s so really excited to experience the range. The Kona is going to be my very first experience at driving an electric car (I’m coming from a petrol Vauxhall Astra). The only thing which is really worrying me at the moment, are the first few trips to the charging station!! I’m lucky in the sense I’m spoilt for choice locally, however I’m guessing you become a pro rather quickly lol. Has anyone else experience the same anxieties?

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCZ0jn-aEVY1keWxMV6cV8eXNkp30fbHF

That’s fair. It’s a very popular car and they struggle a little to keep up with demand. Availability changes regularly and you’ll not always find he color you first hoped for first time around.

The new Ultimate model is fantastic, it’s got so many extras and features, the amount of technology tends to surprise most people who try it out.

Make sure you have the Hyundai Bluelink app ready on your phone so you can remote control and monitor your car, as well as the Onto app to keep track of your mileage allowance and reporting the vehicle condition when it arrives. Zap Map and ABRP are also handy to have for finding chargers and planning routes.

Best advice about this is to go and take a trip to a few different chargepoints around you as soon as your car is delivered. Practice using them while you don’t actually need to plug in so you are familiar with them and not in a panic when you really do find yourself needing a charge and don’t know how they work.

Other than that, don’t let your battery get too low at the start. When you get to 20-25% start looking for somewhere to charge. In a car like the Kona that’s a huge amount of range still, so should be plenty to not only find a charger, but also enough to get to a plan B in case it’s busy, blocked or broken.

Anxiety over both range and chargers is something that you’ll quickly forget, especially in a car as capable as the one you have booked.

2 Likes

In that respect, you’re also in safe hands with the Kona. Some EVs have a reputation for being temperamental with charging (cough… Zoe… cough…) but the Kona is very much “plug and play”.

Maybe try to use one of the chargers with good clear instructions, perhaps even a big lcd display, for your first charge if you’re particularly worried (generally found at rapid chargers above 50kW).

Watch out for the fact that on many chargers the RFID reader is separate from the contactless payment card reader but this is not always clearly labelled.

It’s generally best to try to keep the battery between ~20% and ~80% most of the time, for most efficient use and fastest charging. Certainly it’s not a good use of yours (and everyone else’s) time to charge above 80% at rapid (DC) chargers.

Sometimes if things don’t go quite right you can end up with the charging cable locked in place in the charging port (never happened to me with the Kona). In that case, locking and unlocking the car will unlock the charging cable from the car for about 10s, during which time your can remove it.

Worth downloading ZapMap on your phone, if you don’t already have it, to search for a charging points and find out if they’re available and if others have had any problems. And definitely worth using the app ABRP for route planning on those motorway journeys. You can customise the list of charging networks to be the same as the list included with your subscription (see below).

Oh, and finally, you might want to avoid BP Pulse if you have a choice. There’s a higher chance of a bad experience there, I’m afraid.

Here is the list of charging networks included with your subscription:

Instavolt
CYC (Charge Your Car)
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
New Motion
Alfa Power
Chargepoint
Char.gy
E-Flux
ESB
EV Box
EVDriver
Fastned
Franklin LiFE
Grønn Kontakt
Has To Be
Ionity
LastMileSolutions
Osprey
Vattenfall
Virta

3 Likes

Damm the 2 I will use regular are not on the list GeniePoint and VendElectric.

Slight change to that list recently, and now also in alphabetical order too:
Alfa Power
BP Pulse
Chargepoint
Charge Your Car (CYC)
Char.gy
E-Flux
ESB
EV Box
EVDriver
Fastned
Franklin LiFE
Has To Be
Hubsta
Instavolt
Ionity
LastMileSolutions
Mer.
NewMotion
Osprey
Shell Recharge
Ubitricity
Vattenfall
Virta

6 Likes

@Koda Phew that’s a relief… I will definitely be going on dry run to some charging stations. You have yet again provided some extremely useful information. It’s gratefully appreciated.

@sdmr Again with @Koda you have some great insight and I’m grateful for your advice. Thanks

1 Like

Thank you both. Have already downloaded three of the four apps suggested. I still have a few weeks to research. Lol.

When you say it has lots of extras for the ultimate, is that over the premium or other EV’s?

If your saying over the premium trim, what extras does the ultimate over the premium trim?

Regards

Andy F-G

There’s not a huge amount of extras over the Premium, but compared to the average EV I mean.

Off the top of my head, you get a sunroof, leather seats with heating and cooling, heated steering wheel, head-up display, 3-Phase charger, improved headlights and the full highway drive assist package. I can’t think of anything else. The Premium is already very good.

If you are asking about the Premium SE that Onto have then the lines are a little more blurred. That was from the previous year model before the Ultimate existed I beleive. With exception to the Sunroof I think you already have everything included. The only reason why you would upgrade from one Onto Kona to the other would be to get a newer car, and to benefit from the facelift design and the minor improvements that came with that.

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed your username. If that’s your local team then you’re not far away from me at all. I’d be happy to meet up with you at the Sunderland Fastned hub for example if you want to compare Konas.

1 Like

.for my sins yes my username does indeed mean I hail from Sunderland but currently live in South Yorkshire on the Rotherham/Barnsley border but I do pop up to Sunderland when I can As I do enjoy the run up the A1 and A19 and my usual charging point at the Fastned charger in the town centre.

2 Likes