New to Electric Vehicles - First thoughts

Yesterday my first-ever EV arrived, it’s a Hyundai Ioniq, which I picked as it was the cheapest one I could fit my family in, and figured it would be a good way to give an EV a try without too much in the way of commitment.

So first the bad.

It doesn’t feel like an awful lot of range, even when full. I suspect there are a number of factors here. Firstly I am used to my range being closer to 400 miles with a full tank, so barely 200 doesn’t feel like a lot. Also, I am probably still a little nervous about where it is possible to charge if I am out and about. I’ve never had to look out for charging points before.

I guess this will pass.

The fact that when I parked it on the drive last night it had 150 Miles on it, and this morning in the chill it had considerably less was a bit of a concern. I don’t want to have to charge it from my home supply, but I suspect I may well have to from time to time.

I know I will get used to this, and it certainly isn’t enough to put me off, but it’s odd having to learn about how a car works again after all these years.

The fact that it is silent. At school drop-off today a man walked in front of me and stopped to chat to his friend, it didn’t feel right to beep at him, but normally the sound of an engine would have done the trick. I had to get out and ask him to move, which caused a bit of a defensive reaction on his part.

I suspect that will get more and more normal over time.

And now the good.

Firstly, it’s a 70 plate car, that’s by far the newest vehicle I have had for longer than a couple of days. I love the fact that stuff just works.

It’s surprisingly spacious considering it is just a normal hatchback. I got 4 kids in it this morning with all their bags. The youngest in a car seat.

You read about the instant power from EVs, but experiencing it is a different thing. I like it.

Yesterday morning I spent 10 minutes sitting in the cold waiting for the car to warm up and clear the windscreen, this morning I clicked a button on an app and then went and had a shower.

Heated steering wheel - Who knew? :smiley:

So definitely positive so far, but not 100%. I fully expect it to be closer to 100% when I am more used to it.

10 Likes

Glad your enjoying your new venture into the electric car world!
Range is negligible if you don’t do major miles a day, my commute is 10miles a day. The Zoe I currently have shows 220 on a full charge. I don’t even bother looking at the range for 5/6 days.
You spot the local chargers when your out and about, or at least I do. Then you get a feel for the locations and the ability you have for the car. That will probably take a week or so.
Using apps like Zap-Map will help you look for them less and allow your sat nav to do the work when finding a needed charger or rapid.
It sounds like your transitioning well, and hopefully your going to be a convert for life!

4 Likes

You will have a thing called the EV Smile for weeks…

It took me a few days to get used to the range aka a GOM, but the Ioniq is a Efficiency king (have a look at my blog (cheap plug :stuck_out_tongue: https://evblog.uk )

The Ioniq will show you the nearest charger via the Maps and EV Menu, just press EV on the console… and also use ZapMap / PlugShare/ ABRP :slight_smile:

Wait till you try regen its awesome., start at Level 1 and work up to Level 3, just warn people in the car first…

The car does make a noise under 30mph and sounds like they wouldn’t have heard a ICE to be honest…

Enjoy the journey, its a fun one…

7 Likes

Bear in mind though, that it will also show you slower 7kw chargers, not always rapid 50kw+ charging stations, which is what you’ll most likely want if relying on the car to tell you when to top up.

Just familiarize yourself with your local rapid chargers on ZapMap or Plugshare. You’ll get used to it before you know it.

4 Likes

is there not a sound generator option to wake up the non observant road loiterer?

@griff On 70 plate Zoe GT line it will automatically be on each time you restart and under 20mph. To deactivate each time push button on dash right of steering wheel. :older_man:

indeed, jolly annoying it is too - needs to be more ‘Star Trek’

Zoe sounds awesome accelerating hard from rest on super smooth(quiet) road - with SG defeated - If this acceleration sound could be accentuated then it would do quite a lot to offset the loss of good ICE sound

Would love to restore my 916 GTV (silver with red Momo leather) with Zoe Gt running gear and this sound brought to the fore… :slight_smile:

Hi Emaaoz,
Thanks for posting. This is my first contribution, having just signed up (I am awaiting delivery on Nov 3rd). Glad to read that it’s a positive experience- I haven’t driven en EV or Auto before and have been scouring this forum for as much info as I can on the whole experience…so I appreciate your post.

2 Likes

Welcome. Good to see more people in the North East signing up!
Which car and color did you go for?

Driving one of these cars will no doubt feel a little weird at first but you’ll quickly love the ease, smoothness and silence that comes with them. Just be mindful of where your left foot is the first few times driving it to try and avoid it looking for a clutch pedal that doesn’t exist. It’s always a little scary when your left foot mistakes the brake as a clutch and pushes down with full force and nearly sends you through the windscreen… Still, you’ll only do it once if you ever make that mistake. I speak from experience here.

Have you worked out what you’ll be doing for charging? The north east is generally well covered for public charging of which many are free to use with your Onto subscription. But of course you could always charge at home if this is an option for yourself. Check out Zap Map if you need help finding local charge points.

3 Likes

Thanks Koda. There wasn’t much available to be honest and my ICE has just gone to the knackers yard after years of faithful service. I’ve had my eye on ONTO since reading about it in the summer so now seemed the right time to sign up. Wish I had done it before I became carless! So anyway, because I don’t like using the bus and I’m impatient, I went with what I could get which is a White Ioniq (had wanted the E208 as drove the ICE equivalent in Feb as a courtesy- great car) but I have to say I’m pretty happy with that. The main thing for me was to experience an EV so the car itself wasn’t a huge dealbreaker- I’d be happy with whatever and the Ioniq is no slouch it seems.
Don’t have off-street parking (yet…driveway a possibility in future) so am having to stick to public charging (also lucky to live right near an instavolt site and have two on the way to work) and can also charge at work for free, which is a real bonus. I only really drive from Sunderland to Durham each day with the odd detour from there up to Newcastle/Gateshead/South Tyneside on the A1 so I don’t think I’ll have any trouble. We seem to be pretty well served here.
Absolutely cannot wait and I suppose like all new vehicles, it will take a little getting used to so will make sure I have a good handle on it before taking it too far.

2 Likes

The Ioniq is a fantastic car. You won’t be disappointed. It’s super efficient, comfortable, and despite the Onto offering only being the mid-range trim level it’s still very well specced with various features like adaptive cruise control. For rapid charging at your local Instavolt it’s certainly not the fastest but the relatively small battery means it still shouldn’t take you too long.

You say you’re in Sunderland. If you ever find yourself in the city centre be sure to check out the Fastned charging hub on West Wear Street. You also get free access to them as part of your Onto subscription as well. It’s a great option for a quick top up. The council there also currently do free parking while charging as well. Good chance that you’ll bump into other Onto subscribers or even myself at these Fastned locations. It’s a good opportunity to share knowledge and tips with others as well as checking out other cars available in the fleet that you may be tempted by in future.

Keep an eye out for the e-208 as there will be more available later for sure. With Onto you can swap cars at any time for just £49.50 so trying out others remains a possibility. You’ll lose some of the features, efficiency and space of the Hyundai but will gain faster rapid charging speeds and a more sporty feel in terms of handling.

2 Likes

Much appreciated. I’ve been reading the forums for the last few days and scribbling down the huge number of helpful hints from users- what a great bunch- and will add this. Looks like I’ll be driving around with a clipboard :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’ve just downloaded the fastned app today (as well as about six others) so will definitely be taking advantage of the free city centre charging when I’m down there (is that the one with the bird wing roof on the bend?).
I suspect that once I have the ioniq I won’t go back to peugeot- I’ve been driving them for years so this is a good chance to branch out and try a new manufacturer and something a bit different. So far from what I have seen on youtube and elsewhere I’m fairly impressed with it. I was concerned that coming from a top trim level Peugeot ICE that I would be a little disappointed but it doesn’t look like that will be the case at all- far from it in fact. It will be nice to get back to hassle-free driving again.
I’ll be sure to look out for other users- I’ve approached a couple of people charging EVs to ask questions and they have always been happy to chat about the process and benefits which is really nice. It was all a bit alien so I suspect the more those thinking about changing know about how easy it is, the better.

1 Like

It is indeed.

Remember that these are rapid chargers. If you’re in the city for longer the free parking while charging is also in place elsewhere. St Marys car park for example have 7kW AC Points which you can access for free with the BP Pulse card. Up to 4 hours of free parking and charging there. Just pass by the office before you leave to have your parking ticket validated.

What apps did you get? You shouldn’t really need anything other than Onto, Hyundai BlueLink, Zap Map and ABRP. The Shell Recharge and Fastned apps are handy to have but not essential. Any other apps aren’t likely to be of much use as an Onto subscriber apart from maybe Pod Point, for charging at supermarkets and shopping centres.

We’re mostly very friendly here. Both Onto members and the majority of the wider EV Driver community. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any local area charging advice, or help with your car. Likewise if you are ever interested in swapping to another model I would be happy to meet you at one of the charging hubs and show you around one sometime. I can get my hands on pretty much any electric car you may consider swapping to in future.

2 Likes

I had the Ioniq for four months and loved it - as Koda says, it has a great spec. I only switched to a Kona as I wanted to carry bikes on the roof and also need more range as we head into winter. The Ioniq has a lovely spacious feel inside and it’s incredibly practical - we fitted a family of four (children are 14 and 16), the dog and everything we needed for a week away in the Forest of Dean with no problems at all. Even fully loaded the efficiency on the trip was still close to 5 Miles per KWH.

4 Likes

Welcome to the EV equivalent of the Arkham Aslyum @ChrisWhyte

I do miss my monthly trips to Newcastle (Byker) and the outskirts of Sunderland for work, and staying at the Marriott just near the beach… :slight_smile:

I will echo the above that the vast majority of members on here and EV Drivers are friendly, and there is a wealth of EV knowledge as well…

One thing is expect to be stopped and asked questions nearly every time you charge, as a lot of people are EV curious :slight_smile:

Enjoy the Ioniq, i have mine nearly 2 months now, and it brings a smile most of the time, although sometimes the bongs and the Lane Keeping Assists options, do my head in, but it was the same in the likes of the Skoda Scala I had as a hire car…

It might also be worth joining the local EV group - ** North East EV Owners Group | Facebook**

2 Likes

That’s great- I often pass that one so will be sure to pop in once I get going.
Apps that I have are:
ONTO
Mer Connect (as some points in Durham are Mer- just in case)
Shell Recharge
InstaVolt
CYC
Zap Map
Charge Planner (though probably redundant with having Zap Map as has same functionality)
Pod Point
Hubsta
ChargeMyHyundai
Bluelink

Appreciate that some of these won’t be used- some of them are pretty dire. Will go for ABRP to complete the set.
I will be sure to let you know how I get on. Are there any sites locally that should be avoided at all cost?

1 Like

That’s great to know, thanks EVG. Hope the winter range won’t be an issue- probably a bad time of year to get a true reflection of its capability.

1 Like

Completely agree @mozzauk - I’ve learned more on these forums than I have anywhere else and everybody is very free with, and happy to give, their advice. Not on facebook unfortunately but will see if I can take a look through MrsWhyte’s account :wink:

(Apologies for multiple posts- have just been told off by a green box. I know for next time)

1 Like

This is where the confusion is I think. You get free access to networks like Mer with your Onto subscription. But you access it using the Shell card that Onto give you, or Shell app. Their app is of no use to you unless you are paying out of your own pocket unnecessarily. Similar case with Hubsta.

Same goes for Instavolt app (there’s an Instavolt card included with the car too) and CYC (BP Pulse card).

ChargeMyHyundai won’t work because you aren’t the owner of the car. I seem to remember registration asking for both the VIN Number and some sort of information only found on the V5 document. Again though, the networks accessed by this card/app are almost all covered by your Shell card for free anyways, so why pay?

Here is the full list of networks you can charge at at no extra cost as part of your subscription:
Alfa Power
BP Pulse (Polar)
Chargepoint
Charge Your Car (CYC)
Char.gy
Electric Blue (EB Charging)
E-Flux
ESB
EV Box
EVDriver
Fastned
Franklin Energy (LiFE)
Has To Be
Hubsta
Instavolt
Ionity
LastMileSolutions
Mer (Gronn Kontakt)
NewMotion
Osprey
Shell Recharge
Ubitricity
Vattenfall
Virta

Anything that has a BP Logo on it!
You’ll quickly discover that they are hopelessly unreliable. Even if you’re lucky enough to get it to work there’s a 50-50 chance of it giving you your cable back at the end of the charge session or holding your cable hostage.

For the most part, everything else is pretty good in this region.

The only other tip to give about charging is something you may already be aware of, or may not. But rapid charging your car comes with a few bits of advice:
-Rapid charging is only rapid until around 80%. After this you should probably unplug and drive away.
-When rapid charging stay near to the car so you can unplug and move as soon as you’re done.
-It’s good practice to charge on AC rather than rapid at least once a month all the way to 100% to keep the cells balanced and maximise your range and battery health.
-When you finish charging, don’t panic if you can’t disconnect the cable from the car. Just press the unlock button on the key fob twice and this should release.

I’ve attached the specific rapid charge curve for your car below. You’re looking at the yellow line for your specific model:

2 Likes

Koda, you’re an absolute gent.
I’ve just been reading about the chargers at work which are accessed through Hubsta so that means I don’t have to faff getting another app if they can be accessed on the Shell card. They are free dispense but I believe still need to be activated by an RFID/fob/app…which is strange given that it is barrier/security access only to the site but hey ho. Needs further investigation- will speak to one of the lads who drive our logistics EVs this coming week and get the full low down. Main thing is that I know I can charge there…
Can’t see me using the Mer too often but they are at the park & ride sites, one of which is near to work, so that was my back up (some in the city centre too) in case the work ones were taken. Not likely given the current working from home situation but this could become an issue after Christmas when more people are back on site.
I’ll print that list off and add it to my clipboard of notes. Extrememly useful. Will definitely stay away from the BPs too…have read some very damning comments on here today about them too.

Have read some of the etiquette…and the charge Scotland guide is good https://chargeplacescotland.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/cps-etiquette-guide.pdf
I am considering once a week/every ten days for a full charge at work and then quick top ups between on the rapid network- that should keep me going I think. I only cover 150 commuting miles so will see…

Question I have about you mentioning the key fob- I thought we didn’t get a physical key and it was purely ONTO app based unlocking. If that’s a dim statement then please forgive it.

Thank you for the tips- I really do appreciate you taking the time. I’m getting flashbacks to the first time my Dad took me to the petrol station to show me how to fill up the car. Once you know it’s easy but if you had to try and work it out on your own some things aren’t so obvious. That’s a perfect analogy actually- the anticipation is making me feel like a young kid again. New to driving. Maybe that reads as a bit sad but I think it’s easy to get caught in the weeds of motoring drudgery- this might put a firework and some enjoyment back into driving.

3 Likes