New e208 GT…. (Previously was..Not sure what to do)

Absolutely agree.

They make a big deal about how easy it is to swap cars, then you find out that the miles you’ve built up can’t necessarily be used on another car. You could end up with a lot of unused miles, in different tiers, gathering dust - and still have to pay excess mileage in a different tier.

Converting to more/ fewer miles when you change cars would make sense, as would just converting the unused miles to points in Onto Rewards.

2 Likes

Having gone from an i3 with some built up miles to a 208 (and not being able to use them) I’ll be able to make use of them when I swap the 208 for an ioniq next week. Plus, I’ll have some lower tier miles in the bank for next time I get a smaller car back again. haha.

Yes the tiering system is quite odd and pretty unnecessary but it is what it is for now.

Also @BillN you’ve worried me now that I’m going to hate the Ioniq. I’ll let you all know in a few weeks time!

2 Likes

How have you found the 208 after the i3?

Some of the range/efficiency horror stories about the e208 are worrying me a bit, but I figure going into spring and summer is maybe the best time of any to move into a less efficient car, and I also have to keep reminding myself that I can just swap again (subject to availability) if it turns out to be a pain in the neck!

1 Like

You probably won’t hate it. But you may find it lacking if you are coming from other EVs especially an i3 if you happened to enjoy that.

The Ioniq is good if you want a cheap, efficient car with a fair amount of features that is a good size with space for family or a good amount of luggage, with a bit of comfort but nothing special.

But if you are looking for a bit of fun when driving, as well as faster charging speeds (especially when coming from an e-208 and i3) you are going to be disappointed.

I’ve very much enjoyed the e208. At first I noticed a slight dip in the performance but I also feel the e208 is a lot more stable than the i3, especially at high speeds. Overall, I’d be happy with either car. The i3 is just let down by those rear doors and missing seat in the back. The e208 is let down by it’s relatively poor range and GOM/missing SOC readout. You’ll without doubt notice it coming from a Kona but I guess that depends on how often you tend to exhaust the battery.

1 Like

I mentioned in another thread that the only reason I’m swapping is that my wife has purchased a 2008 ICE which is pretty much the same interior, so I fancied to try something different.

I’m well aware of the slower charging and that does concern me but the only way I’m going to find out is to try it. We’re getting to the point with Onto again where some cars becoming scarce and that’s the only problem. Will I be able to get back into an e208 or something else appealing?

1 Like

In mid May there is another batch of brand new e-208 GT’s joining the fleet from what I have seen, so you should be able to get back into one if you find you don’t like the Ioniq, and I doubt it will be too long before another model gets announced either.

The slower charging is only really an issue if you are regularly going far beyond the range of your car and will be actively sitting around waiting for it to recharge. If you just need a quick top up the first half of the battery is still quite fast to charge, and if you can otherwise do your charging at home/work or somewhere else where the car is parked for a while anyways like the grocery store or gym for example, it should be no problem at all.

1 Like

Yes, as we all are, I’m hoping for more additions to the fleet.

Most of my charging is carried out on a rapid near my office with the odd charge at home. This particular rapid is limited to 42kw anyway, so hopefully the Ioniq will charge at the same rate as the e208 for the first 60% or so.

This is the thing - the only way for each individual to find out for themselves what their priorities are, or whether they even notice subjective things like the ‘feel’ of a car, is to try different sorts of cars… and that’s (one of) the great thing(s) about Onto, and the short-term subscription model generally.

There’re probably people who can’t imagine or understand why the i3, for example, is pretty much universally liked by those who’ve driven one, but if they tried one they may also start to appreciate those more subjective aspects about different cars. Conversely, there’re probably people who think they need to drive a car with a certain reputation for being good to drive, or having a certain feel, but if they tried something like the Ioniq, for example, they may start to appreciate the more objective aspects like better equipment and better efficiency. I think it’s also the case that for a lot of people the priorities can change with age/at different stages of life/if they move to a different location etc.

I tried the Kona, have given it a chance to win me over with range, efficiency and equipment, but, for me, those aspects aren’t enough to counteract the fact that I don’t actually enjoy driving it, and for me that is an important aspect. But maybe after trying the e208 for a while we’ll come to the realisation that it is too compromised on the efficiency front. Only way to really find out is to try I guess.

The new GT batch is what I’ve booked in for May 7th - I’m hoping / anticipating I’ll be the first keeper again.

I think the Hyundai’s are absolutely great if the primary objective is to have a car as a tool for simply getting from A-B efficiently, and as a means of allowing you to then do other stuff. If you like driving for the sake of driving though, they are probably going to be lacking for most.

3 Likes

That depends how the charger is limited. If it is simply limited to not go over 42kW then it should be fine. But if it has a current limit to not go above x number of Amps then it may be painfully slow to charge an Ioniq there. That car has a lower voltage battery pack than most other EVs so the higher current is needed to compensate.

1 Like

I’m not too sure, although I’m pretty sure the Amp reading on the charger used to get higher when charging the i3 than it does with the e208.

I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

Having tested it again today, ABRP doesn’t give you SoC unless you’re using it to navigate.

1 Like

Thanks - I think that’s okay as I’d normally be using it on a planned route whenever I needed to know the SoC more accurately than easily possible via the segmented display.

I’m actually swapping from the E-208. Due to miles. I now work in the city centre and my whole trip is motorway journeys. I have to change every day and I only do 25 miles each way. That’s with having the vehicle on Eco too. I literally get 2 trips out of a full charge. It is a really nice car to drive and look at but the range is absolutely shocking.

Sorry @tomford , are you saying you get 50 miles from the e-208? I’ve just ordered one, so interested in other people’s take on the milage, I was more than happy with the 170 range quoted on the website, but 100 sounds a bit of a drop?

1 Like

Me personally it’s not the best. I started with 150this morning and ended my 25 mile journey with 85 and was driving on Eco. But due to traffic being in city centre and the m5 m4 being horrendous motorways I need to charge to be safe. And would have to charge at joke otherwise.

Car is really nice looking and great to drive but for me mileage is shocking. Always having to drive in eco.

I’ve done a theoretical constant 70mph trip in ABRP up the M11/A1, at 10°C, dry, no wind, no traffic - using a reference consumption of 3.4mi/kWh - and it reckons 119 miles is possible from 100% down to 7%.

Damn, that doesn’t feel me with huge confidence on the distance I can go. Are you sure that’s not faulty because that sounds a lot lower than the mentioned range?

I think it might be the case that, although it definitely isn’t the most efficient EV, the inaccuracy and lack of sophistication of the GOM can perhaps lead drivers to think the capability of the car is worse than actually it is. That’s what I hope anyway!

1 Like

I’ve also read that the e208 operates similarly to the ID.3 in that it will always heat the battery, regardless of journey length, if the pack is below a certain temperature.

This helps it to charge at a higher rate more often, but can mean the consumption is higher than other EVs which don’t do this, especially on short-medium journeys.