New e208 GT…. (Previously was..Not sure what to do)

Totally agree too. I have always purchased cars new and kept for 10 years, but with EV’s there is too much evolving to even contemplate a cash purchase. EV’s are also way more expensive than their ICE equivalents. I seriously cant see us buying a new car ever again. Subscription rules and will become hugely popular, whether by ONTO, Elmo, JLR Pivotal, Volvo, Geely or whoever else joins in.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s that in this case - it really is just that I haven’t got on well with the Kona at all. It’s just very boring as a car in its own right (EV or not) - but I could probably deal with it being boring if I at least thought it was competent in most areas, but I also find it lacking in competence in several really basic areas - mostly to do with the drivetrain and main control feel/refinement.

What I have known for quite a long time is that, for me, the feel of a car is probably the most important quality in the longer term - both how it feels to drive, but also how it makes me feel. Stats and equipment trinkets can make short-medium term impressions, but the feel is what creates the lasting overall impression, for me at least. The i3 just had great feel, whereas IMO the Kona is essentially just an unpolished tool, and that’s fundamentally what the problem is for me. I probably did make a mistake in forgetting/neglecting what I already knew, and giving up the i3 when I did - but tbh I had expected that Hyundai would have come on more than they have done (at least on the evidence of the Kona). Hopefully they’ve made a big jump with the Ioniq 5!

1 Like

Thinking about the alternatives to the Kona…

I think the Zoe is not for me. Not next anyway. The additional time for the frequent long journey is a negative.

Ioniq - I suspect would in many ways be like a squashed Kona with less range, much worse charging and some missing toys. Seeing the amazing efficiency figures would be a positive, but ultimately I suspect it going to feel like a slightly differently shaped, but fundamentally still bland, tool.

i3 - even I could get one, it’d be psychologically challenging to go from paying £399 for ‘my’ car that I had from new, to then now paying nearly 25% more for a ‘used’ example.

e208 - probably the front runner of the Onto choices at the moment, and is more appealing now with the Shell card and the additional opportunities to charge at >50kW. Sounds like it’s not to the level of the i3 in terms of the ‘feel’ factor, but at least seems to have more life and feel than the Hyundai’s and Zoe. I’m now trying to think pre-emptively of the things about the e208 that might be disappointing, so they wouldn’t come as a surprise… the big one might actually be the absence of a SoC% readout… such a glaring omission IMO and coupled with what sounds like being a fairly bad GOM, that could be seriously annoying as would mean I couldn’t really use ABRP properly. Other one is no heated seats - silly in an EV, and no smart cruise. Heated seats I could deal with via a 12v jobby (if I still had it come autumn/winter) and going back to normal cruise is maybe one of those things you get used to. What’s the VESS like on it? Please say it doesn’t have a reversing beep!

I shocked that people find the Hyundai cheap it’s such a great car I’m really enjoying mine, in my opinion the BM isn’t a stand out car in terms of money actually kinda ugly to look at.

Hyundai make great EVs and are miles ahead of most of the competition when it comes to efficiency, but I can’t argue that even with all the toys and features it may have, they still do feel cheap and plasticy. It just doesn’t have the premium feel.

The BMW, despite the amount of recycled plastic everywhere still has the feeling that the Hyundai is missing. Likewise the driving experience is more involved. While it’s certainly not like a typical ICE BMW, you can still tell that it’s related to them and has a more ‘in control’ feeling.

Hyundai have a forgettable design. Their cars are nothing special. They aren’t offensice, but they aren’t nice either. It’s just something you would glance at and never look again - It could be any car. The i3 meanwhile has unique looks. It stands out.

I Like both. Both have their place and each have their own merits that make one better than the other for different people. I would personally go Ioniq but can totally appreciate why the next person might prefer a the i3. I have regular access to them and find them quite fun to drive, as well as being nice and quick to rapid charge. It’s just not quite practical enough for my day to day needs.

1 Like

I get you but remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I see far more Hyundai’s on the road which is a testament to Hyunda in creating a product that people need or want. I feel there’s some badge snobbery with the I3.

Badge snobbery in and of itself is definitely a thing for some people, but at the same time, certain brands gain/earn reputations (which then can lead on to badge snobbery for some people - those who are primarily concerned with what others think), in part, at least, because those brands do (or used to do) certain things particularly well, or gain a reputation (eg through advertising) for doing certain things well, even if that might not actually be the case in reality (eg German brands having a reputation for reliability).

So, for example, Audi & Mercedes…interiors with a certain style and perceived quality. BMW…driving dynamics. VW…solid build & reliable (hmm). Volvo…safe/minimalist. Toyota/Lexus…actually reliable. Alfa…stylish. Citroen…ride quality. Hyundai/Kia…value & warranty. Etc etc etc

There almost certainly are some people who would choose a BMW over, say, a Hyundai purely because of the badge/brand and what they think their peers may think…but fundamentally some manufacturers are just generally better than others at certain aspects of car design & production. The gaps in most areas are generally speaking getting narrower, but fundamentally many of them still do exist. Yes, a standard spec Hyundai is probably going to be much better equipped than an equivalent model BMW, and have a longer warranty, be more reliable etc…but the BMW is probably going to drive better, be a nicer object to interact with, have a cabin that is a nicer place to spend time in, have better residuals etc. Some people are choosing cars like BMWs because of the badge alone, but I think an awful lot are choosing them because they are genuinely nicer to use in certain respects.

I also think reverse badge snobbery is a thing sometimes too. I think there are some people who sort of pride themselves on driving no frills/value/no nonsense cars and would perhaps be reluctant to drive certain “posher" brands. Personally, I like to just judge a car as a car on its merits. I’ve had VWs, a Honda, a DS, Skoda, Peugeot, BMW and now a Hyundai. The Hyundai is the most disappointing of them all because I anticipated it was going to be a lot closer to the i3 in terms of how well the driving controls have been developed. But in reality it’s miles off, it’s so horrible to drive in city traffic especially compared to the i3. If you drive it down a straight road for 200+ miles then it’s great, but in most other situations it’s not a good “car”. It’s a good EV, it’s a good toy box of equipment, but it doesn’t do the basics well.

2 Likes

Very unobtrusive. You can’t hear it unless you open all the windows. No reversing noise. When COVID rules allow, you’re more than welcome to have a look at my e-208. I can add you as an additional driver if you want a go :wink:

1 Like

Thank you - I think I’m probably just going to go ahead and book in an e208 tbh, looks like early May, so always a (slim) chance that some other models could be added by then too.

You can get SoC in the Peugeot app, and I get it in ABRP through Tronity. Madness that it doesn’t show on the dash though.

Annoyances (comparing with the Zoe):
Doesn’t have auto-hold on the brakes, like the Zoe did.
You have to get in, close the door and ‘start’ pretty sharpish, or the app key times out
No physical controls for HVAC - touchscreen only (but the touchscreen is pretty quick)
B mode isn’t sticky - have to select every time

Plusses: Lots of cubby space. Good touchscreen and CarPlay implementation. No annoying dashboard button for charge flap. Tailgate is good for sitting on to put your running shoes on! (Zoe wasn’t). Charging is silent.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Am I right in thinking that with Tronity, the SoC in ABRP will update regularly whilst driving the e208 - i.e. if you have that set up does it basically negate the need for a SoC display on the dash to use ABRP, as it just keeps itself updated automatically?

How is the Peugeot app generally? Recent reviews don’t look too promising on the App Store (but it can’t be much worse than my experience with the Hyundai one!).

The key timeout sounds very similar to the i3 so I’m used to that. Touchscreen A/C controls don’t bother me too much - the only one I really use on a semi regular basis is the temperature so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I only upgraded to ABRP premium yesterday, so I’ve only used it once, but it does seem to update the current and expected destination SoC pretty much instantaneously. I don’t know if you’ll still get current SoC if you don’t have a destination plugged in.

App is just about OK. Setting it up was a series of stabs in the dark!, and oddly you have to make several 20 minute journeys before it links, but it does work. You get current SoC and charging status, time until full, and preconditioning (min 50% SoC). It’s meant to show ‘driving history’ but I just get an error message.

Just like the Renault app, pretty much every time I open it, it hangs. (I’m on iOS). Close and re-open, and it’s OK.

If I’m at home and want to know my SoC, the quickest way is to go onto ABRP website and it shows straight away without any faff!

1 Like

Interesting, thanks. That may well then make the absence of a SoC readout a non-issue for me in practice then, so that’s good.

I’d forgotten about the pre-conditioning 50% limitation - that’s a bit of a shame, especially with no heated seats. Some of the decisions car manufacturers make are just bewildering!

1 Like

I agree with you totally and what kona said before about Hyundai not having a stand out car is about to change with the ioniq 5.

1 Like

Adding ACC and proper lane assist to the GT model is only a £300 option for a private buyer… such a shame that Onto chose not/weren’t able to specify that option when placing their order.

Hopefully, yes, but still remains to be seen I think whether it will have a good ‘feel’ to go along with the good specs, equipment levels and EV credentials.

Hyundai/Kia can engineer good actual cars, as they’ve shown with the i30N and, to a lesser extent, the Stinger - so hopefully some of that DNA and attention to driving feel and basic control quality will have found it’s way into the Ioniq 5, and hopefully they also make another leap forward in terms of stuff like materials and perceived quality.

1 Like

Booked in an e-208 GT for early May. Just need to clarify whether accrued mileage allowance will carry over - would seem a little odd if you can’t transfer allowance to a lower tier car.

1 Like

You can’t. It’s only accessible for cars in the same tier, not higher or lower. You will lose access to your mileage credits, but won’t lose the credit itself until after 12 months, so if you swap back after a little while you can use them again.

Totally understand why you can’t transfer accrued miles to a higher tier car, but I can’t immediately think of a good reason why you shouldn’t be able to transfer them to a lower tier car.

Any chance of re-visiting this policy @Rob_at_Onto?

3 Likes

Ideally they should have a conversion rate so you can redeem the miles against whatever you swap to, increased or decreased by the value set out in the tier list. It does sort of ruin the flexability a little if you end up tied in to one tier or risk losing any credits you built up.

(As a side note, the tiers are now a little interesting following the price changes. The e-208 is more expensive than the Ioniq, but e-208 is in the lower tier and Ioniq in the higher one? Even if they simply swapped these two models in terms of tiers it would not only fix your problem, but would also make me book the Ioniq sooner since I could use up my spare Zoe mileage allowance)

If they say no to this, then you would be only looking at the LEAF, i3, Ioniq, DS3 or Kona only. That’s all in the same tier so you could swap between them without losing that.

1 Like