My Evezy Zoe is overall the best car I’ve driven. I’ve had nicer cars and cars with more features and whatnot, but just by being electric, this base model little French car is the best.
This is how I sum it up to people when they ask: if this were another base model Renault, like a Clio, I would never own one. Ever. But because it’s electric, the Zoe is quiet, smooth and relaxing to drive, and the performance is better.
That about sums it up, but in the six or-so months I’ve had the car, here are my pros and cons…
Pros – Zoe-specific
- Seatbelts are height-adjustable
- Lots of headroom (I’m 6’ 4” / 190 cm)
- Pretty peppy performance
- The basic car is still a nice car (mainly because it’s new)
- Range is accurate and adjusts to driving style (140 summer/120 winter)
- Generous boot space
Pros – general EV
- I never have to visit a petrol station
- Defrosts quickly in winter (no waiting for an engine to warm up)
- Smooth to drive
- Relaxing and comfortable
- I can charge for free at work, and obviously on Polar
Cons – Zoe-specific
- No drivers seat height adjustment
- No manual AC ‘on’ control
- Slow charging, max 22 kW
- Air vents don’t angle downwards
- No Apple CarPlay
- Tiny glovebox
- Infotainment system is laggy
- Difficult to get the car hot, even on max
- Regen braking is a bit weak and weird
Just as a general point on limitations, if you drive an EV and care about clean air, most of the time you’ll sadly be behind a diesel. For me, as a result, I almost always have the recirc turned on. Without a manual AC control in the Zoe, it’s difficult to keep the car demisted, unless I turn the temperature to minimum to kick in the AC and dehumidify the air. But then it gets freezing cold, and there are no seat heaters or heated steering wheel.
This is also not a long distance EV. If you want to go further than the Zoe’s range, you’ll need to charge en-route. The Zoe ZE40 is not the car for that, it charges too slowly. If you want to travel more than 120 miles, get another EV. I don’t need to, so it’s perfect for me though.
First world problems!
But this doesn’t detract from it still being the best car I’ve driven. I’ll never have an ICE car again. No way!