Ioniq Vs 40kWh Leaf?

Just wondering if anyone who has subscribed to both can tell me which they preferred?

I’ve seen the Leaf quite cheap (£500 a year less than the Ioniq with ONTO) but not sure if the Ioniq is worth the extra?

They seem to have similar equipment levels.

@Koda visited this and the 5 and the Leaf looks like a better fit but correct me if you disagree?

The Leaf having CHAdeMO is a bit of a turn off for me, yes it still seems to be pretty decently supported but there are situations where chargers only have CCS.

2 Likes

Yeah that is a bit of a concern. Not so much now, but more how supported will it be in 2 or 3 years

2 Likes

Really would be good if ONTO could add these two cars to the fleet

Although if you got the LEAF through ONTO, you wouldn’t have to worry about this.

I’m undecided whether to stay or go but if the Leaf was with ONTO I’d definitely grab it

Interestingly, at the Meet-up, no mention was made of the LEAF in particular, or Nissan in general. Not to me personally or during the fleet update by Rui, at any rate.

I’m a big fan of the LEAF. I had a 30kWh model a few years back and it very comfortably and reliably got me up and down the country on a regular basis. Even after lots of use (and borderline abuse) it never gave me any real trouble.

While I am a fan of the LEAF as a car, it would be better to lease/subscribe rather than own. The lack of thermal management is a concern that leads to accelerated degradation of the battery. Likewise, the CHAdeMO Charging rather than CCS is good for the next few years, but going down the line it’s going to become problematic and you will take a hit when it comes to resale if you own it.

If you can get a 40kWh or even better E+ 62kWh model they are really nice cars, especially if you can get the Tekna trim level. Plenty of features like ProPilot and 360 cameras, very comfortable to sit in, and very spacious too. Just a little bigger than the Ioniq, but it makes much better use of such space.

The only thing to bear in mind is again relating to efficiency. When you’re putting it alongside an Ioniq, the 38kWh Ioniq is going to go further between charges than a 40kWh LEAF. There’s very few cars that can compete when it comes to the efficiency of the Ioniq.

It would be a tough one for me to choose between Ioniq and LEAF. Both have their pros and cons, but I think if it was a lease and I didn’t have the concerns of long term ownership, the LEAF would win. If I was buying with my cash to own for the long term, I would totally play it safe and go with Hyundai though.

3 Likes

Unless ONTO added the MG 5 or Leaf then the latter two I’d only ever get on PCP/Lease of 48 months and would be the 40kW Teckna. The 62kW is a massive jump in price.

I’m still debating. Right now I’m either going to stick with the Ioniq with ONTO at £499, Lease the MG 5 Exclusive LR for £354(PCP Lease price only 43 months. £457 with insurance, charging etc) or the Leaf 40kW Teckna at £320(PCP Lease price only 48 months. £440 with insurance, charging etc). Both leases were 12,000 miles a year and 1 month cost upfront.

I’m dubious about MG, but then the Leaf is using a charging port that will likely be on the way out in a few years.

The MG has way more range and boot space but the Leaf is more comfy, refined, cheaper but less range

The Ioniq is overall a great balance of range Vs tech Vs space. But can I justify it at £499 all in for only 750 miles per month?

Many decisions. In all honesty I’d like to stay with ONTO but I can’t imagine the Leaf/MG5 being added at competitive prices. But, there is a few months between now and August and things change.

That’s why we’ve been grandfathered for 5 months. Hopefully before August there will be more options, both from ONTO, lease companies, and indeed manufacturers.

1 Like

Ahhm I already picked @Raheel_at_Onto up on that term.:older_man:

5 Likes

Yeah I’m not going to rush. My car is still the best option until then and ONTO may well alter their offering in a way that is good value for us Vs other leasing options whilst being profitable for them and if not, then I’ll go elsewhere on amicable terms/no hard feelings with ONTO

1 Like

I think that if the gap is closed between leasing and subscribing, it may be more likely that it’s due to the former increasing their prices, rather than the latter reducing theirs.

1 Like

The term is used with much affection and esteem :wink:

2 Likes

I was pretty set on the Leaf. I figured the 40kWh I could make work but apparently you can only rapid charge once per journey. So although I rarely do long journeys with more then 1 rapid charge, the few that I do will now take 4+ hours longer instantly making it not viable.

So I’m back between saving tons of money with an MG 5 LR or trying to keep the Ioniq within budget

1 Like

I noticed @Rob_at_Onto is now using the term but I haven’t got the balls to pick him up on it. Its all light hearted anyway.:older_man:

2 Likes

The 40kWh had an issue on launch that was referred to as #RapidGate at the time. Nissan released a software update that changed the behaviour of this so it’s more in line with the previous models.

Speaking from my personal experience - Under good conditions, you can expect a 50kW charge rate (or 43kW if using a common 125A 50kW Charger) until 60%, where you will then gradually slow down over time. It doesn’t suddenly jump off a cliff and step down to a lower charge rate like the Ioniq does at set percentages.

Worst case scenario you’ll get 2 rapid charges before you slow down. But under most conditions you’ll get 3 charges before it slows down due to heat. And in my experience, each time you get slowed down, it will take 12kW off your max charge speed. So 50kW will step down to 38kW when the temperature gets higher, and then the next charge after a 38kW session will step down again to 26kW if the temperature doesn’t get a chance to fall.

If you’re reading up on this car, or watching videos, make sure you’re looking at more recent reports. It’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I Think Bjorn Nyland has YouTube videos where he does long distance journeys and compared the charging performance both before and after Nissan fixed this software issue.

1 Like

Oh thanks Koda. To be honest as you’ve probably experienced yourself, the Ioniq isn’t always the most consistent when rapid charging. Many times it sits at 23-26kW. So if on 3 or 4 charges it sits here then that’s not terrible.

In which case the 120-130 real world range of the 40kWh might not be too terrible on my rare long trips. It’s a shame there is a massive bump in price of about £150 a month between the 40kWh Teckna and the e+ variant.

Otherwise the Leaf seems to be a better all rounder than the Ioniq. Seems to have more tech, more assistances, comfy interior, albiet the dashboard and controls on the Ioniq are nicer I must say

But overal the Leaf does seem like a nicer package for much less money

Sorry @Koda one last question (I’ve come to you just because you know your stuff and aren’t car biased)

In the 40kWh Leaf with fairly careful driving, what would you say is the real world range at 100% in the Winter and in the Summer?

It’s hard for me to say what I think you will get in the real world as even my own experiences are wildly variable depending on conditions.

I’ll instead say whatever you get with your Ioniq right now, knock off about 10% or so for the LEAF at speeds of 60 and below. More like 15 or even maybe 20% drop once you get up to 70mph speeds.

That should give you a pretty good idea based on your own driving styles.