Ioniq - Braking Issue

Hi all,

I’ve experienced a few issues with the brakes lately on the Ioniq. Specifically the conventional brakes, not regen.

About 4 times I’ve come up to traffic or required to stop at a junction and used the brake pedal to find the brakes very unresponsive, often having to really press the pedal with a fair bit of force to get a lethargic response from the brakes. It’s not a pressure issue as the pedal doesn’t feel stiff.

The car is less than a year old with 8527 miles on it.

Looking on the Ioniq Forums a few people who have experienced similar have suggested on a steep downhill slope with no other traffic pressing and holding the parking brake switch up until the car beeps and initiates full braking as this, according to posts, cleans off rust from the discs. But this sounds dodgy to me so want to get advice from others here :slight_smile:

Check the manual, the park brake switch can be used as an emergency brake in some cars.

If you do try it, obviously do it on a good straight road, preferably a quiet industrial estate and use your head.

1 Like

The manual basically says to only do this in an emergency.

What I might do is find a quiet street and just bring the car to a harsh stop a few times with the brakes from 15-20mph. In a similar fashion as you would after going through a ford or when you have ice on the brakes.

Think this is safer and should have a similar effect. It’s not my car so don’t want to do anything that might cause damage :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah if you can get up to a good speed and just stamp on the brakes a few times it will use the friction brakes and clear off any surface corrosion nicely.

My Ioniq isn’t getting used at the moment so I’m doing similar every now and then to help keep them clean

1 Like

This is what my uncle told me to do in an old clio, when the car wasn’t been used due to travelling for work…

One day a week switch the regen off, that will keep your brakes clean

So I drove round my office car park in circles, put the car in neutral at 10mph so no regen and then braked heavily (not full, but quite harsh). Did that a few times before driving home.

The brakes are much better and once again at 30-50% pedal travel get the “bite” of the friction brakes.

Probably didn’t help I have Auto Regen on and often use one pedal driving with the left paddle. So over the last 10 months or so haven’t really used the conventional brakes that much

3 Likes

You can’t switch off regen. When the car is in D it will use regenerative braking even if you’re using the pedals. It’s not just the paddles, but the pedal will also automatically prioritise regeneration too, regardless of what setting is selected.

The paddles simply control how much regen you get by lifting off the accelerator without touching the brake pedal. But even using the brake pedal will give preference to recover energy to maximise efficiency. Either doing an emergency stop by suddenly stamping your foot flat on the brakes, or by shifting to N and braking are the only ways to ensure you’re exclusively using the friction brakes.

2 Likes

Hopefully you won’t get told off when/if the telemetry data phones home :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also you probably know that a fully charged battery will not have anywhere to store any regen, so best to fully charge the car and do some heavy braking soon after if roads/conditions allow this.

I have done this in ICE cars that have had rusted brake disks and after 15mins of some serious braking the disks can be refurbished back to as new condition. This becomes necessary if like me you were taught to drive many decades ago and use the gearbox to slow the car. harks back to times when brakes were not that great. It’s also a fail safe way of getting the engine to slow the car down in an emergency brake failure situation too. If you drive ICE cars using gearbox over many months the rear disks in particular will become rusted through lack of use, the fronts less so.
One pedal driving and full regen will also mean EV disks become less effective over time, more so when it rains unlike recent months. Some good spirited driving is then required. :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t that harsh don’t worry as I was mindful of ONTO monitoring our driving. As I say it was as much force as you would use after going through a ford for example

1 Like

To be fair the first few cars I owned were too old and not posh enough to have disc brakes but instead drum brakes. Good thing with drum brakes is even when wet or if the car was sat in sub-zero conditions they work as effective as normal - which is not as well as disc brakes lol

1 Like

It’s disc breaks everyone :wink:

3 Likes

Broken disc jockeys, the lot of you… :thinking::man_shrugging::clown_face:

1 Like

Overrun by those pesky Americans who messed up our language.
My excuse is I’m an engineer and techie, so the computer term disk crazily gets to be the default in autocorrect :thinking:

3 Likes

“It’s disc breaks everyone”

You all seem to have missed my intended mistake! :wink:

4 Likes

Disk is an abbreviation for diskette (I.e. floppy diskette). So the term “floppy disk” is one of the few instances where spelling it with a “k” is correct. But now nobody uses them any more the word is pretty much defunct.

So you have a floppy disk, but a hard disc. It seems confusing, but it makes sense if you know the origins

2 Likes

No comment :wink:
Anyway, in the US they call disc (brakes) …. Rotors :man_facepalming:
Well the metal discs anyway.

They probably call the whole thing… ‘breaks’ depending on what ‘State’ they are in. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Disk is used for magnetic media, disc is used for optical media :wink: apparently anyway from what I recall

1 Like

The U.K. ‘should’ remember that a disc is easy to spell correctly because it is a circular flat object and has ‘C’ as the last letter which is circular in shape.

Whereas the Americans have a Krazy ‘K’ as the last letter.

3 Likes