[Ioniq] A few niggling issues

I believe that covers the “Fake engine” noise, and the C&U regs cover reverse beepers.

The noise made by these vehicles are stupidly loud when reversing at 2am in the morning and are certainly a hell of a lot louder than any ICE vehicle reversing

1. It can’t be deactivated
    and
  2. Bong, Bong, Bong sounds nothing at all like an engine!
2 Likes

Think it has now changed so that drivers can not disable them as per EU regulations.
Yes I know we are no longer in EU :joy:

:man_shrugging:t2:

I think that’s what my Uncle Nigel used to dribble on about when I were a lad.

We called him “Uncle” but I think he was just some random loudmouth down the local boozer… :flushed::face_with_monocle:

But we are going slightly off track, the awful reverse “alarm/beeper/bonger/whatever you want to call it” is not VESS (Virtual Engine Sound System) - That’s the humming noise that is supposed to sound like an engine. (Which may be disabled outside the EU, inside, you can’t)

The reverse bongs is a reverse beeper which is not legal (as far as I can see) under the C&U regs and can’t be disabled, when it should be disabled PERMANANTLY!

The VESS would be nice to be turned off. The reverse bongs are fine in principle, they’re just too loud.

Both can be circumvented by unplugging the speaker under the front bumper but A: This puts a warning light on the dash. B: I’d not do this with a car owned by ONTO rather than you and would advise against anyone here unplugging it from an ONTO vehicle. C: if you did hit someone after disabling it, regardless of who’s fault, you’d have a hard time defending your decision to turn off a safety feature

2 Likes

EU Law in turn UK Law as we added it into the regulations are to prohibit turning off AVAS as they call it

Amendments to Regulation No 138 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ECE) — Uniform provisions concerning the approval of Quiet Road Transport Vehicles with regard to their reduced audibility

As such the 1986 C&U regulations pertaining to it do not apply as a regulation has superceded it

Following the adoption, at the 171st session of the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), of the 01 series of amendments to UN Regulation 138 on the approval of quiet road transport vehicles, Annex VIII to Regulation (EU) No 540/2014 should be reviewed in order to introduce the AVAS pause function prohibition.

Also states it is a global initiative, which the UK as UN member has signed up to.

Can you tell I was bored :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But again your confusing a fake engine noise with a reversing alarm, which is only permitted for goods vehicles/busses etc.

If you still think its illegal report yourself to your MP, DOT, or your local council Environmental Health team for a noise complaint, and see what they have to say.

AVAS includes using a sound to warn others of a function of the car and most people see reversing sounds as a vehicle reversing…

The reversing bong as you call it was disabled when I turned off my VESS.
It is quiet in my new Ioniq and not loud at all. Can you not turn down the volume in the cluster settings?

Not the external beeper, no

1 Like