Invoice of 1000 excess insurance

I’m sure it says in the document you singed that you would be billed £1000 if an accident occurs until they can establish fault/recover costs.

You definitely had an unfortunate situation but it would have resolved itself if you had the funds available and were able to wait to come out the other side, so to speak.

1 Like

I’m with thrifty now they are adding Tesla’s to the range for £950 per month I going to get one when they are on the site

1 Like

Ok have you read their T&C’s looked at contract etc. Once bitten twice and all that? :older_man:

2 Likes

From Thtifty web site T&C’s :older_man: "Damage Liability

Insurance is subject to a damage liability which varies according to vehicle size.

Some Thrifty vehicles are fitted with tow bars however use of these tow bars is strictly prohibited when renting a vehicle booked through this website (or any other website advertising the Thrifty brand name) and will render insurance cover invalid .

Damage Liability Reduction is available on certain vehicle groups and at participating locations for an additional cost. This product is not available to drivers aged 22-24 or 70 and over.

Reduction of damage liability from £1000 to £250 (economy to standard cars only) £15.00 per day, 1 to 3 day hires
£11.50 per day, 4 to 13 day hires
£9.50 per day, 14 days or longer
Reduction of damage liability from £1250 to £250 (full size to prestige cars and all vans, excludes prestige 4x4s) £20.00 per day, 1 to 3 day hires
£17.00 per day, 4 to 13 day hires
£14.00 per day, 14 days or longer
Reduction of damage liability from £1500 or more Dependant on vehicle type. Please check with location
Damage Liability for car groups Economy to Standard Size is £1000, all other groups, including Full Size People Carriers are £1250 except the Prestige 4 x 4s and the Luxury Automatics which are £1500, the Luxury 4 x 4 and Elite vehicles range from £2000 to £5000.

Please note Glass and Tyre cover is not available for Elite rentals
Glass and tyre cover (economy to full size cars and vans) £8.80 per day, 1 to 3 day hires
£7.15 per day, 4 to 13 day hires
£6.05 per day 14 days or longer
Glass and tyre cover (premium & prestige vehicles) - dependant on vehicle type, please check with location £19.80 per day, 1 to 3 day hires
£16.50 per day, 4 to 13 day hires
£13.20 per day 14 days or longer

Damage Liability waiver may be withdrawn at any time (for example, due to extreme weather conditions) at the discretion of Thrifty management.

Overseas use

Overseas travel is unavailable at this time and until further notice

Updated 2nd December 2020

4 Likes

Couldn’t find the Tesla but an I-pace is £1140 a month with a refundable £1140 upfront deposit. You have to get your own insurance and pay your own electric, so I wouldn’t say that for most people this is cheaper than ONTO.

4 Likes

Funny you say that, i used to be with thrifty everything started out good, till the insurance and vehicle costs started creeping up, as the car is a rental you have to allow thrifty access to the insurance and list the car as both registered keeper and owner as thrifty, man was that a problem no one wanted to provide insurance, in the end had to use their recommended insurer car cost 850 pounds pm and insurance at 300 pounds pm when i dave the car back not to include at hand back you are at the mercy of the branch to carry out checks correctly and fairly

3 Likes

They had the funds, just didn’t like this particular policy. They were talking of getting an A1 with thrifty. That’s a £750 a month upfront deposit and then £540 a month plus insurance plus petrol. And that’s cheaper than an ONTO e-208 at £449 a month. Don’t think so.

They are being very disingenuous. Happy to be proved wrong with a genuine like for like comparison between Thrifty and ONTO.

3 Likes

ah forgot to add the upfront cost depending on what car it could be 1 month cost ito 2000 in addition, man never again, still embarrassing how much i spent.

2 Likes

I meant Cazoo with the Tesla it’s now active I have 3 months here with thrifty left then going to get one all been approved

1 Like

It’s not really comparable though, is it? You have to make a deposit and you’re tied in for 24 months. Onto’s massive selling point is the 30 day rentals.

What do you have to pay with Cazoo if you want to give it back early out of interest?

2 Likes

Nice headline monthly, but not like for like. That’s a 24 month commitment, or £500 to get out early. Only 1000 miles a month, and more miles are expensive. They’d also have one months subscription £859, as a refundable deposit for two years.

Interesting that you’re willing to accept that, but not prepared to give ONTO £1k for two or three months while the insurance get reimbursed by the at fault third party.

Anyway I wish you well, but just didn’t want you misleading others on here with half truths. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your Tesla.

5 Likes

i think hes just trying to make himself feel better as he knows he f**ked up lol

5 Likes

That’s for 24 months though, and I can’t tell if you get insurance included… For a 6 month deal it adds an other couple of hundred on top plus a months refundable deposit and charging isnt included…

If you cancel early as well its £500 and £750 excess…

2 Likes

Lol! Here Cazoo take my excess before I’ve even got the car and regardless of whether anything has happened to it….

2 Likes

hahahahah what a joker hes just sour because he knows onto wont give him a car now so is justifying to himself that he has a better deal…

1 Like

Me and the missus have already put contingency in place, just in case somat happens and its called dipping into the savings account temporarily to get the money, until we get it back via other insurance policies…

And we don’t even get the car till September, but always a think a bit of common sense is always the best bit, although sometimes lacking…

5 Likes

You can get excess cover from a 3rd party such as insurance4carhire, it is around £50 per year to prevent this from happening, in the event of an accident your £1000 is covered. its well worth doing.

My referral code is: 4e752

Worth noting though, that even in the situation you have separate insurance, you still need to have the means to pay (via either bank account or credit card) the £1,000 excess in the event of an incident / accident, and then make a claim against your excess insurances.

This may be seen as picking nits, but I think it’s important – you still need to be able to pay the excess in full and then wait for it to be reimbursed to you via the I4CH excess reduction insurance, in the event of a successful claim.

If it’s in the case of a not at fault incident, this could take some time as I4CH will need to liaise with Onto’s insurers who will need to liaise with the other party’s insurer or the party themselves – while some have reported payments are quick, nothing in insurance is guaranteed until you’ve got the payment in your account and a statement from the insurer to say the matter is settled.

6 Likes

That is a fair point and good advice, I still think having a cover from I4CH or similar is good practice in the long run, I find it hard to believe someone paying on average ~£500 pm for a car wouldn’t have the means to pay the insurance excess upfront in the short term but I suppose everyone’s situations are unique.

My referral code is: 4e752

3 Likes

Agree totally, and that is how I have it currently with my ICE car, and the Excess insurance that came via a Comparison Site.

I have to pay my insurers the excess first and then claim it back from the Excess Insurance Policy once the claim has been settled. (just in case I get a refund of the excess).

1 Like