Insurance Excess

Hi all,

I have a Kona Ultimate on the way in a couple of weeks; Really excited. I saw an advert on Facebook where people were talking about the insurance excess being really high. Another post suggested that there is a way to get this reduced? Any OnTo veterans got any advice on this topic?

https://community.on.to/t/damage-insurance/1717/42

2 Likes

And you can get £12.82 back using https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/nickmilla

1 Like

Thank you, both. I will take it out when the car arrives.

1 Like

BEFORE the car arrives!
If you take out excess insurance once you have the car you won’t be covered for any existing rental periods, so would have to wait until you swap or renew before you would be insured.

Ideally get it for the day before the date listed on your rental agreement. I believe you can buy it today and choose your start date so you don’t forget about it.

2 Likes

@MisterOaks it’s only valid if taken out before delivery though

I’ve just seen this and didn’t realise it. I imagine I will need to take the insurance out before next months renewal to be covered for next month?

1 Like

OH! In that case, doing now.

1 Like

Based on what @Koda mentioned in the other post I believe you should be fine if you get it before your next renewal- it just won’t cover your Onto hire prior to that period.

1 Like

Ok, I got it.

The car is being delivered on the 7th July, so I chose 7th as the start date as that technically kicks in at midnight, right? @Koda

Yeah that should be fine. I personally played it extra safe by making it start the day before, but can’t see there being any trouble with what you did. The earliest an Onto agreement will start is 9 AM, so if it begins at midnight that sounds okay to me.

1 Like

I took out the policy after my first car from Onto was delivered and successfully claimed on that vehicle several months later upon its return. They only asked for the current hire agreement, so as long as you take it out before your second month you should be fine.

Best practice is to start the policy the day before your delivery though just to be safe.

2 Likes

Just purchased mine - didn’t want to wait any longer just in case - 2 more days until the ID3 arrives!

4 Likes