ID3 takeaway after London-Barcelona

Did a return trip in the ID3 family between London and Barcelona. a few takeaways to check if that’s in line with what everyone else sees:

1. highway efficiency. at 100-120km/h, at outside temp of15c, the efficiency is at about 5km-5.5/kw, which implies a 300km full range give or take… but this deteriorates significantly when the outside temp is cold. The efficiency was as bad as 2.5-3km/kw when the outside temp was 2c at the same speed. I was expecting the temp impact but the drop was definitely larger than what I expected… and wonder what will happen in -5c conditions…

2. front sensor radar is flaky - the front sensor (used by ACC and lane assist) gave up completely in wet weather, so the ACC was not functional for quite a while (came back after 4 hours). a quick google suggests it can happen in snowy weather (when the front of the car was covered by ice/snow etc) but in my case, the car’s front panel was completely clean… Looking back, the sensor was showing a ‘loading’ status for some time before giving away completely ( a loading icon on the dashboard), and I m pretty sure I get “loading” status frequently in all sorts of weather conditions even in London. Not sure if I need to get it looked at or it is a known issue of the sensor…I did call onto when this played up as did not want to drive 2500km without ACC… but that was nothing but a good 60 mins of my life wasted…

3. ACC road speed sign recognition poor - the car frequently reads the speed signs wrongly and I have had many times of the ACC trying to slow me down on the highway…the most obvious thing was the car taking highway exist speed signs for the main road…quite frustrating and somewhat dangerous if the car behind you is close.

4. rapid charging speed vs SOC. I always thought the SOC vs Charging speed relationship (or the charge curve) is fixed for a given portion of the curve (say from 20%-50%), in other words, regardless of the Starting/finishing SOC, the time takes to charge from 20-50% shall always be similar (given similar battery temp etc and charger capacity). But that does not seem to be the case, I had a session of 10-80% at 35mins, another session of 38-80% at 35mins too… seems that if the starting SOC is higher it may slow down the entire charging session?

3 Likes

@flatw8 From what I’ve read online, it appears that VW cars are designed to switch off the front radar sensor in poor weather conditions. If someone knows otherwise, I’m happy to be corrected.

I’ve rarely had issues with my Mercedes front radar sensor, even in the rain. BTW, when Polestar gave me a test drive of the Polestar 2, they pointed out the front radar sensor is heated, so they really do think about driving in the winter when designing their cars!

That’s the swedish in them :slight_smile: I wouldn’t expect anything else form a Volvo brand…

2 Likes

I don’t mind if the radar switches off occasionally by design. but will be nice if the ACC can still be used as a “dumb” CC…

i did read a lot of ICE VW car owners complaining about the same issue, so i thought it was by design too (or a known issue…). Recall Bjorn did have the same issue in his ID3 winter test, but that was in some extreme snowy condition with a fairly visible build-up of snow/frost at the front.

Indeed I had to rent a van this week to move some of our office equipment from Manchester to London - got given a VW transporter.

It didn’t have ACC but did have a “Front Assist” to warn you of distance being too close to the car in front, presumably this has to use a similar kind of radar system.

In any case, it cans up with a warning when the weather got cold/sleet/snowing and then returned once it warmed up enough- so indeed I assume this is more of a broad VW issue than an ID.3 specific one.

(And yes, I missed the ID.3 after doing about 480mi in an ICE van!! :sob:)

1 Like

I have an ID3.
Its WAY better than a Zoe, but I dont think I would own one.

1 I have noticed dropping some miles overnight when the car is cold. I dont really watch too much when driving. my 120 mile journey is safe enough on a decent charge.

3 ACC, so random.
I have had the speed drop to 30 when you go over/under motorway passes. very annoying and yep, could be a light danger for cars following.

4 were you on the same charger??
I was recently in a strange location and happened upon an instavolt location, started at 34 kw, then shot up to 81kW. that was very useful. By the time I got back to the car its was on charge for an hour. went from 7% to 98% (reporting 201 miles of range)

On point 1, it’s worth remembering that the penalty for speeding up is actually less in cold temps, than in warm.

That’s not to say going faster will increase your range! - it won’t. But adding 30km/h at 0℃ won’t decrease your range as much as it would at 20℃.

This is because cabin heating takes a significant proportion of the energy usage. And driving faster means the heater is on for less time.

yeah figured - mine came up upon starting the car even in dry conditions…

not the same charger but the comment was more a general impression after 15 or so IONITY charging sessions in France, in more or less similar conditions.

I read somewhere that the ID3 battery warmer takes c5kw/h, and the BMS is not yet optimised. Could be why the difference is so big…

I have read on another information location.

Charging from 0 to 80 % will take (roughly) the same amount of time as charging from 81 to 100%

That seems to tie in with my experience and what you have noticed

1 Like