Hyundai Kona decreased range at 80%

When I first got this car a month ago, 80% charge was giving me a predicted range of 260 miles…it’s now showing 180/190 miles when charged to 80%. I had expected a small decrease when the weather turned but it’s not that cold now and this feels like a huge difference. Could it be that theres something wrong with the battery?

It’s making the difference between longer journeys being feasible and it being a real pain to prepare to go anywhere longer distance.

Ps this is before I turn anything else on like heating. It’s just the post charge range shown when I switch the car back on after teaching 80%

Remember predicted range and actual range are two different things. Those with Konas can give a more specific answer. Could be that the GOM is adjusting to your type of driving. What mpkWh figure are you getting ?

I was just about to say this.

I don’t have a Kona but considering one for a swap (if any come up its a bit sparse at the moment) but have you turned on winter mode mode which heats up the battery?

Depending on which he has, it will not have a heat pump so winter mode would not offer any benefits

1 Like

Winter mode doesn’t use the heat pump anyway. It’s a separate system that heats the battery up. This imrpoves the performance of the battery in terms of reducing the loss in capacity in the cold weather, and also by making sure you can rapid charge quickly even when it’s cold too.

With that said, the heat pump is a consideration to make. The old Premium SE has it. The new Ultimate does not. You will see a bigger range reduction in the newer models if you use the heater a lot, especially if you set a high temperature.

Anyway, as others have already said here that doesn’t sound terrible and it’s likely that it’s just learning OP’s usage and efficiency allowing for more accurate range estimates. If in doubt though you can always do things like making sure that the tyres are correctly inflated and not causing an increase in energy consumption.

3 Likes

It sounds like you only ever charge the car up to 80% and if that is the case then you should fully charge to 100% at least every month in order to ‘balance the battery cells’ as this will ensure you are getting the max range performance. Ideally do this on an AC charger.

3 Likes

Urgh. The issue is that I can’t charge it at home overnight as the cable provided isn’t long enough. So have been restricted to service stations and supermarket fast chargers.

That’s a pain, but a lot of supermarkets have AC slow chargers 7kW or 11kW some higher, so either charge to 100% on a DC rapid charger or maybe up to say 90’s and finish off on AC assuming you can do this without hogging a rapid if others are waiting. Tesco have a lot of free podpoint chargers but you do need the app on your phone so you can confirm the charge, otherwise it’ll stop after 15 mins. Whatever you can plan into your schedule.

If you are keeping the car for a while you could go THIS (not sure how short of length you are)

EDIT:

Link updated, accidentally posted the type 1 version.

That’s a good idea. I had just assumed it would take like 4-5 hours to do 80% to 100% on a slow charger…

1 Like

If you can get time on a rapid charger it looks like 30 mins plus to get to 100% from the fastened info

80% of a 64kW battery is 51kW so only 13kW to max out.
A std. AC charger at 7kWh will take a couple of hours plus to top up to full.

If you rapid charge upto day 90% then have the time/planning to move to an AC charger, it shouldn’t take too long to balance and get upto 100%. It does depend on how much cell balancing is needed.

I have yet to discover if cell balancing happens on DC rapid charging, so it may just be worth staying at a rapid till 100% as it will be quicker than doing on AC.

It does seem there is a certain taboo in charging past 80% on a rapid charger.

Firstly the 80% figure is car dependant, some cars really start to drop off speed around 50-60% so I wouldn’t get too hung up about the 80% figure.

Secondly as far as I’m concerned the “only charge to 80% on rapid” perceived rule really should only apply to busy chargers, if you are at a multi charging station and there is free bays, you are not preventing anyone else from charging then fill your boots (or battery) but if you are at single charging station or a multi charging station and all the bays are full then it would be kinder to leave when you charge speed slows down, but its a personal choice as you don’t know someone’s situation or journey.

1 Like