How do most people use their cars? Key or App?

Having the ID3 delivered tomorrow morning, had an email from Onto at 7pm which with the subject title (Apologies for any inconvenience) scared the life out of me thinking something had gone wrong with the car/delivery!

But then reading the email, it makes me curious now, who uses their app vs the physical key and vice versa?

What do people prefer…

2 Likes

I tried the app twice and since then have always used the physical key.

It’s on the keying with the house keys, it works every time and it’s never failed me (unlike the app I’m afraid!)

3 Likes

Hope you don’t mind @AdamG92 but such a good question thought it deserved a poll.

• Key
  • App

0 voters

1 Like

I thought I would still use the app still after getting the key, but in reality hardly ever use the app now.

1 Like

If I was Onto, I’m not sure I’d bother maintaining the app any more, to be honest. More hassle than it’s worth.

1 Like

Not at all, excellent idea! 27 voters, 89% towards using the key. I got my answer, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After years of using the app when I finally got a key I felt like I was in the future.

With my BMW i3 I did test keyless entry via a little box they put in the car, the problem was it only refreshed every 30 seconds, so when I approached I could be standing in the rain for 29 seconds.

3 Likes

with Zoe, it uses a proximity passive transponder (err, I kinda invented concept several decades ago…blush…) which works perfectly

Stick ‘remote’ in your pocket and forget - simply approach and leave the vehicle normally and it will take care of security / locking for you

My design, was in form of a ‘credit card’ that literally fits in your wallet - I believe it has been adopted by a few brands

4 Likes

Key, but then bluelink app will usually remind me I have forgotten to lock it…

Since I am the occasional driver this time, my missus will use the key and I will use the app so I don’t have to go hunting for the key. I think the app is quite useful still and I am more cars will have a digital key as an option at least. I don’t have an Apple/Samsung/Other smart watch at present but if I could have the onto app for lock/unlock on that then it would be one of a number of things together that would make me consider one (probably as well as my analogue watch)

2 Likes

I’d love a key.

The AA key assist have been out twice to me and can’t seem to programme it. Waiting for another visit off them with a different computer. Seems the person before lost it and that’s why I need the AA.

The app isn’t great, can see why they wanted it etc but it’s needs some serious dev work.

1 Like

Always the key. So much easier than app.

Only the app, frightened of loosing the key👴

1 Like

I always use my key. I love the hands free lock/unlock with the Zoe. I never need to take the key out of my pocket. Don’t think I’ve even tried the app.

3 Likes

Key now most definitely!

1 Like

Key all the time. …

1 Like

I always use the key. The app is useless. I drove to Leeds and back and the mileage left didn’t update for 3 days.

The key stays in my pocket as it’s keyless entry and locks automatically as I walk away from the car. And you have the added benefit that the engine doesn’t automatically switch off after one minute. Not convenient when you’re putting your kids in the car.

1 Like

Definitely the key. Ordered a 208 mainly as they all came with a key a standard but glad all cars do now. Used to hate the app fumbling around with pins, passcodes,bluetooth and chargers in the ice during winter. Once clicked the end booking to see what the options would be, and well, one click ended my booking instantly for a couple of days. :sweat_smile: Also makes more sense having the key incse of any breakdowns or repairs whilst feeling more like car ownership.

2 Likes

I’m so glad this time I have the key it is so much better than using the app.
Since we can use the official cars app and key don’t see the need to use onto app.

1 Like

As a newbie I was very grateful for a key. I’ve since tried the app. It works fine, not quite as immediate as the key.
It also reminds me of the story about the space programme in the 1960s. The US invested a lot inventing a pen which would write in space. The Russians provided a pencil.

4 Likes