Home charge point

Just received a quote, house is virtually new, less than a decade old, quote has come back saying non standard installation is needed and a CT clamp is required, does anyone know what these are ??

The clamp goes around your main electricity cable to monitor electricity usage in the house to make sure there isn’t too high of a demand. If lots of power is being used the chargepoint would either limit the charge rate until demand reduces, or pause charging. I assume you only have maybe 60A coming into your home if they said that? You can of course try asking the power distribution company in your area to see if they can upgrade this for you though.

As for non standard installation, there are lots of possible reasons but only the installer can tell you why. Most people get this added if they need more cable than the standard length included. I think most give you around 10M for free then you would pay for extra. But it could be something else that is making it more complicated too. Definitely ask for more info from them.

1 Like

So a CT clamp is not needed as I have a smart meter with a IHD ?

Yes the point is going to be about 1 meter from everything so I’ll definitely ask them.

It is needed in line with the regulations. If you have a fairly small supply of power coming into your home they need to do it so that running an electric shower at the same time as charging your car doesn’t plunge you into darkness for example. They have to be confident that the electricity demand from your home will never overwhelm the maximum incoming supply.

It’s not about the demand on the grid, but rather the demand in your home. Take a look near your meter at the DNO Fuse and see what it’s rated at. That’s generally a good indication of what you’re working with coming into your home. Ideally you would want 100A and then the clamp wouldn’t be necessary. But if you have less then you’re looking at either getting this upgraded, or a clamp, or downgrading to a 3kW Chargepoint instead.

They have never even been to my house so how will they know it’s definitely needed ??

Is this the one you mean ?

Houses these days are fitted with a 100A fuse and that should be waht you have if house is only 10 years old. Fuse rating should be written on the fuse. Older houses have 60A or 80A fuses.

Yeah nothing on the main fuse

In which case the DNO should be able to pull the fuse and inspect to see what it is rated at.
I say DNO, but many sparkies will do this anyway.

I would also get other quotes for chargers from several suppliers as some just seem to over charge for no good reason.

Had a house that was 10 years old not so long ago. It had an 80A DNO fuse. One I’m in now is 100A. So it’s definitely not a given based on age.

1 Like

My house is a mid terrace with a shared/looped supy and 60A fuse.

The DNO (Western Power) have agreed to update my supply, fit a fresh supply to next door and to update my fuse to 100A free of charge.

I need to wait for that to be done before I can have the charger fitted, this has been ongoing nearly 12 months :flushed::exploding_head:

That’s not good :relieved:. What’s the excuse for the delay? Covid19?

That does sound a little odd. I’m unsure if the DNO Publish this information for installers to check somewhere maybe? So I could see that there may be a way of deciding the clamp is necessary, but without them attending to properly plan out an install I don’t know how they could immediately jump to it being a non standard job.

As well as asking for more info from this installer, I would definitely echo @burnt_crisps2 suggestion of getting a quote from another company too. I’d also get onto the DNO to ask about the possibility of upgrading your supply for the purpose of EV Charging and remove the need for a clamp.

If the company in question isn’t already Pod Point, I would put their name forward. They aren’t the cheapest especially if you don’t qualify for the grant, but they are a big name and one that I have sent all my friends and family to and always done a good job. I Know that they can also offer CT Clamps if necessary. The only downside to their charging units is the lack of timed charging, but most cars have this feature built in anyways.

1 Like

There’s external wall insulation on the property and the council said they are fine with me having the installation and they are fine with the DNO resupply works, but with the condition of “must not drill through the external wall insulation”

Sadly wireless charging hasn’t came about soon enough, it’s took this long in emails between me, the DNO, my local MP and the council, they’ve finally realised that the cable has to go through the wall :thinking: and have agreed with the DNO for the work to be carried out in March

1 Like

You cant make this stuff up any better than it happens in real life!
Roll on March, soon be here.

1 Like

I’d certainly echo both responses. Get a second opinion, as the CT clamp may not be necessary - and in my experience the installation costs can vary considerably. I have a CityEV charge point installed which can be configured to operate at 16A or 32A (3.5 or7kW). This could also provide for houses with a smaller, say, 80A supply…but as previously mentioned there are other manufacturers out there. I’d also ensure that the electrician provides some documented evidence that the installation will be (or is) compliant with BS7671 18th edition (which sets out the rules that electrical installations must follow (i.e. important from a safety / earthing perspective…)

1 Like