Hi everyone

Hello everyone.
I am looking to make a move to electric motoring and very interested in the onto way to do this. I currently drive a 2010 Vauxhall Astra 5 door 1.4 petrol which has served me well for the past 5 years but I want to change it now. I have been looking at the Renault Zoe which I think would fit my needs reasonably well. I am a single mum with a 14 year old and a 10 year old so although I have children, I don’t need space for pushchairs and all that kind of stuff anymore. Do you think the Zoe would be as good as my Astra is space wise for the kids?
I also don’t have off road parking so would be relying on public charging but there are 4 polar chargers a few miles from my house and also a few ionity chargers which I believe is included with the shell card? There are also a few chargeplace Scotland chargers dotted around too so I think I could manage. Also my Dad has a driveway and lives pretty much across the road from me so if I was stuck I could use the granny charger on his driveway.
The biggest thing stopping me from jumping in is the app rather than a key thing, although I realise that on the whole most people have no problems with the app it worries me that it might crash on me/fail to let me in the car if I am out somewhere with my kids or on my own and end up stuck somewhere. For this reason I have also been looking at Elmo as they do provide a key but they only have the option of BP polar which would limit my charging capability and also the sign up fee and delivery to my address is a lot more expensive with them.
I would be very grateful if I could have some advice or hear about your experiences with onto (or Elmo if anyone did or does subscribe with them).

I should also add my daily commute to work is only 6 miles each way 4 days a week so not massive. Under normal circumstances once life starts to get back to normal, I will have a couple of after school clubs to take the kids to once a week which is 7 miles each way and just the usual bobbing about for shopping etc.
We tend to drive to Morecambe 2 or 3 times a year which is around 80miles away from me down me M6.

Sorry for the ramble and I look forward to hearing from some of you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum, I hope you find it useful.

I’m a single dad of three kids, 14, 12 and 9 and I found the Zoe to be an excellent car. There is more than enough space for anything you are likely to need and the range should mean that charging isn’t a problem.

While not having the key can be a bit of a pain the app is pretty good and, for the most part, reliable. I have always found the customer service at Onto to be excellent (I’ve been a customer for nearly 2 years now). The only issue I have is that they don’t include a ChargePlace Scotland card as that is the only network I have access to but the cost is very low and is much cheaper than petrol.

If you have any specific questions about the Zoe please feel free to ask.

If you would like a referral code to get £50 off of your first month you can use mine - 9e2e7

2 Likes

Hi. I’m a single mum too and have an e208. I had exactly the same concerns as you had regarding the key issue but so far in my 4 months of having the car I’ve had no problems like that. I also don’t have any home charging access and rely solely on public charging which is very much doable, you just have to plan really.

I drove from Kent to Wales the other month and although the charging added an extra 90 mins ish to my journey again it was very doable.

I can’t answer questions on the Zoe and space but I can tell you that joining Onto was the best thing I did car wise!! I don’t regret it despite my initial reservations!!

2 Likes

You are an ideal candidate for an EV and the Zoe should suit you perfectly. Whilst not the roomiest of space in the rear seats for adults, it should be fine for your family needs. The ‘key’ issue is one that unfortunately some subscribers have had real issues with, whereas many, many others have not experienced any issues at all with just using the app.
The beauty of ONTO and Elmo is you can give it a try and see how it suits your lifestyle as there is no long term commitment and if not hand it back.
I recommend you give it a go and I think you will be instantly converted :grinning:

3 Likes

welcome to the community i have been a member over 6 months i also do an EV review channel so may be worth taking a look aswell i hope you make the right decision but the great thing is if the car doesnt suit you just change for anither one :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrHonestEV

1 Like

@NewToEV great news key is now available to all cars … Do you want a physical key for your car? Request it here!

Hi, the Zoe should be perfect for you.

I swapped from a Zoe to an Ioniq but only because I regularly have three in the back including a friend who is over six feet tall. Two in the back the Zoe has plenty of space and the boot is bigger than it looks from the outside.

One big advantage of using ON.TO is that you can switch cars for just £50 so you could start with a Zoe and if after a few months you find it not big enough you could swap to something bigger.

With range, you won’t have a problem with the Zoe, it can easily handle your needs.

As far as the app is concerned, you might find a bit of moaning on here but it works fine 99.99% of the time, especially on the Zoe’s, I never had any problem with mine.

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind welcome to the forum and for the advice. It’s very much appreciated and even better, just as I have picked up my iPad to come back to the forum I have the update from onto regarding the key situation so with that my decision is made as to which company to go with. Now I just need to have a look at my work and commitments to see when is best for me to take delivery and book a car. I think I’ll get the kids involved as I see there is a fairly big choice of colours available to me for the Zoe so I’ll get the kids input on that.

I think rather than sell my Astra straight away I’ll sorn it and stick it on my Dads drive for a month or so just to make sure I’m happy and comfortable with charging etc and be sure it’s workable for us then I can at least fall back on that while I decide on the next move if this doesn’t work out for me but I’m fairly confident it will do.
Thanks again everyone :blush:

5 Likes

Onto generally have a driver bring the car rather than delivering it on the back of a truck. It sounds like you are in Scotland so they will be bringing the car quite some distance to get it to you. The delivery times are when they aim to bring the car, but when you live a good distance from the depot they often can’t stick to this. If you book an AM delivery, make sure you have the whole day free as it may end up getting pushed back to PM. Or if you pick PM it could come late night or get pushed into the next morning. Just so you are aware and plan accordingly.

The color choices change all the time depending on availabilty at your local depot. So if you don’t see a specific one you were hoping for, try selecting other delivery dates a little further into the future and you may see more appear. Whites and grays are normally easy to get, with the reds and blues being the more popular choices, sometimes harder to find availability for. (Unless you are getting the Dynamique ZE40 - This is ONLY available in white)

1 Like

Thanks for the info @koda , much appreciated. I’m just across the border in Scotland right beside the M6/M74 so not too far north but still a fair distance presumably (I’m not sure where the depots are situated)

I generally only work Monday to Thursday so will probably look to book for a Friday delivery and make sure it’s a Friday when I don’t have to be anywhere else.

If you are very lucky and get a brand new Zoe it will come from BCA Manchester. If you get one that is recirculated in the fleet then it will be coming from Gefco just outside of Doncaster. A Friday AM delivery sounds good, just to play it safe.

1 Like