Help please - e208

Evening all. Having a real nightmare. Took delivery of my e208 today and turned up at a charging point but can’t get the Rapid charging to work. The AC works fine but DC just won’t register the car. Tried two different charge points and it’s exactly the same. Any ideas please?

Can you give us more information? Location and network of charger and what exactly is happening?

1 Like

Try locking the car before connecting.

My 208 will only clunk into place on DC when it’s locked (you can unlock / lock again once the charge session has started).

1 Like

Hey! So I’m in Manchester at a BP PULSE. When I connect the DC, it goes through the safety checks but when it gets to car detected it doesn’t show the green tick and then just waits for ages before going back to the home screen. I also tried an OSPREY at the Alexandra retail park in Oldham and it was the same

Interesting. Mine charges quite happily even if it’s unlocked!

1 Like

You could try supporting the heavy cable to make sure it’s making good contact. Sometimes the weight can mean that the plug doesn’t sit properly in the socket. Once handshake is successfully completed, you should be able to leave it. Apart from that, may be an issue with your particular vehicle.

And try what @ralderton said above. I haven’t noticed this personally but he obviously has.

2 Likes

Yes it’s odd. Nobody else seems to have the same problem, but it’s definitely there for me.

100% failure rate when unlocked, 100% success when locked!

It chimes with the OPs experience of the car not being recognised by the charger, and of working fine on AC.

2 Likes

So you have to open the charging flap, lock the car, and then follow the charger’s prompts? Once it’s charging, you can unlock the vehicle and get in if you wish?

I never had to lock my e208 either to start a charge. I usually have the door open too. However I always turn it off using the “engine start stop” button. Still makes me laugh!

Just to update, that BP pulse machine locked up completely in the end and none of the buttons on it would work. Tried to get to another charger but it was gated off. Went to plan c. A services on the m62 only to find that there was no access due to roadworks. In a panic by this point, could only stumble to the nearest Tesco to use one of the 7w pod points and get some juice. Will probably still be here in the morning :laughing:

Bummer. Trust it’s a 24/7 Tesco so you can at least use the facilities and get food/drink then.

1 Like

That’s just bad luck! I hope it doesn’t put you off the EV way of life. It’ll get better!

1 Like

Just got home now by the skin of my teeth. Sat outside Tesco for just shy of 2 hours and that got me 30% charge. Literally running on fumes by the time I pulled up outside my house. I wasn’t even going heavy with the throttle. Well under the speed limit the whole way back. It hasn’t put me off but I just feel like I’m doing something wrong. Fine if the range isn’t amazing but I need to be able to charge quickly and that just didn’t seem to be an option tonight. Hopefully all will become clearer tomorrow. Also, does anyone know how to keep an eye on the state of charge whilst it is charging? The display on the dash goes off after a minute or so and you have to keep switching the car back on to see where it is up to…

Yep, exactly that. Once it’s charging I can lock and unlock as much as I want.

Depending on the charger, sometimes the charger itself displays the SoC.

You can also get it in the Peugeot app.

1 Like

The Osprey in Oldham was being funny on Monday. It might not necessarily be the car. Couldn’t get my Zoe to charge there, but the be.ev one near home worked. Going back today I’ll let you know how I get along.

1 Like

I’ve actually seen a few people with charging related software bugs with the e-208 when looking into the car online. There’s a couple of posts I have seen where people can’t rapid charge with the doors unlocked like you are experiencing, and then many more who can rapid charge with the doors unlocked, but then can’t lock them once charging begins! They have to do the same as you - locking the doors, starting the charge and then unlocking again.

I’ve only seen one post to say that someone went to the dealer and was able to get a software fix. But it does sound like PSA Know about it and have obviously developed some kind of solution. If it’s worth the hassle of going to a dealer or not is your choice. I personally don’t think I would bother if you have found a reliable workaround.

1 Like

If you are using a rapid charger, the charger will show you the SOC. You will often have to press a button to wake it up but it will show. If you are charging on AC then you will need the app or to wake the car as you said (Unless it’s possible to keep the car awake by pressinng the start button once or twice without your foot on the brake once charging starts? Some cars allow this, others don’t and I still haven’t tried an e-208 to confirm yet)

Do you have an Instavolt nearby? Try heading down to one if possible (you can use someone’s referral code for the app if you don’t feel like paying) as they are easy to use rapid chargers, generally very reliable, and there’s often more than one per location. If they won’t get your car to charge then I would say it is safe to assume the car has a fault at this point.

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks all. Really useful info as always. I’m going to hook it up to the granny this morning to get about 10% and then I’ll nip down to the instavolt near me to give it a go. (Does anyone have a referral code I could use pretty please?). Will let you know how I get on. Also, someone here mentioned b.ev, are they included or do you need to pay for those. Hoping today is a much better experience otherwise I may need to get a dealer to have a nosey at it. Something definitely didn’t seem right last night, I just expected it to be easier. It certainly needs to be if it’s going to be mainstream. Joe public won’t put up with that kind of nonsense at scale.

1 Like

Instavolt referral code, TJyVd in case you didn’t already get one ! Good luck, hopefully you get better results today :crossed_fingers:

1 Like