FAST CHARGE vs SLOW CHARGE

Hi, I have jus started my subscription and getting an Hyundai EV tonight.
Pardon the silly questions.

I have never dealt with EV before, and what I would like to know is,
How do you recognize a fast charger point from a “normal” or slowest one ?
I guess KW is the answer, but which one is a fast one in compare to a slow one ?
I understand the car will come with two leads plug, one for the house and one to use for charging stations.

I guess my question is how do you use the charging stations?

• do I need to sit and wait ?
    is there a queueing system ?

Thank you ONTOERS

1 Like

Download Zap-Map to locate the public charging sites where you live. The app will tell you the power of each charger. You need the CCS plug for a rapid (generally considered to be 50kW DC and above) and use the top and bottom part of the vehicle’s socket.

A fast charge (7kW to 22kW AC) will require you to use the manufacturer supplied type 2 cable and only the top part of the vehicle’s socket.

A slow charge is below 7kW AC and usually is the granny /occasional / 3 pin plug charger that ONTO supply with their vehicles.

3 Likes

Hi @Luca_kun and welcome to the Asylum :stuck_out_tongue:

A slow charger in my mind is one that is below 50kWh and is usually found in supermarkets and at shoopping centres, and usually need the type 2 cable, some are free as in you just need the app such as pod-point a few now charge per kWh and not all are included in your OntO subscription.

A fast charger is anything in my view above 50kWh and are then likes of InstaVolt, BP(no)Pulse and Shell, and they are included, bare in mind they will only charge at the max or near max for a short period of time.

Not come across a charger I need to queue at, but i would pull up and ask the other people charging how long they may be (most EV drivers dont bite :slight_smile: ) and if there is a queue.

Whilst charging, go about your normal jobs, go grab a coffee, do your shopping etc.

Also the etiquette is to only charge to 80% at the likes of InstaVolt to save the wrath from entitled EV owners :slight_smile: as well as if a queue to let overs in who may need to charge…

3 Likes

Great Tips Thank you for taking the time to reply

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed answer,
However do you mean ONTO doesn’t supply a fast charger cable ?
:thinking:

1 Like

The fast chargers come with a tethered cable, so you don’t need a cable for them.

For the slow / destination chargers you use the type 2 cable which you plug into the car and charger…

The other cable is an emergency and very slow and is a 3pin plug for the wall at home

6 Likes

As @mozzauk has explained above but the general view is that changers are categorised as:

Ultra/Super - Above 100kW. Cable already connected to Charger.
Rapid - Above 50kW. Cable already connected to charger.
Fast - 7kW to 22kW. Use the type 2 cable supplied with vehicle.
Slow - Below 7kW. Eg lamppost charging point often 5kW. Use type 2 cable again. 3 pin plug charger supplied by ONTO usually only 2 to 3kW.

7 Likes

Amazing… thank you. I am all set now.

However I was trying different charging point in central London last night and looking through the app BP Pulse I could find many charging tower where to use the provided cables. However I don’t think those one are included in the subscription … ?

• Are all charging point shown in the BP Pulse or Shell or InstaVolt app free of charge ?

Thanks

Yes they should be. Here’s a list. Others will update if it’s a little out of date.

ONTO Charging Networks

Alfa Power

BP Pulse

Chargepoint

Charge Your Car (CYC)

Char.gy

E-Flux

ESB

EV Box

EVDriver

Fastned

Franklin LiFE

Has To Be

Hubsta

Instavolt

Ionity

LastMileSolutions

Mer.

NewMotion

Osprey

Shell Recharge

Ubitricity

Vattenfall

Virta

Alfa Power

BP Pulse (Polar)

Chargepoint

Charge Your Car (CYC)

Char.gy

Electric Blue (EB Charging)

E-Flux

ESB

EV Box

EVDriver

Fastned

Has To Be

Hubsta

Instavolt

Ionity

LastMileSolutions

Mer (Gronn Kontakt)

NewMotion

RAW Charging (Franklin LiFE)

Osprey

Shell Recharge

Ubitricity

Vattenfall

Virta

3 Likes

‘most ev drivers dont bite’ …Aint that the truth?! :slight_smile:

Are we a green peace sub-set or what is it that keeps the modern aggressive, selfish types out of our ‘community’?

Every Ev fellow charging their car has Always been a delight to chat too, Everytime :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am no GreenPeace subset :stuck_out_tongue: I like my rabbit and game pies too much :stuck_out_tongue:

The ones I have spoken too as well are all nice and friendly but there are always exceptions …

Thank you for the extensive list, yesterday through the BP PULSE APP I found many charging point towers labelled chargemaster (www.chargemasterplc.com) all Type 1 and Type 2, all very close to my building, which I would really love to use. However the Bp Pulse card comes as unrecognised once tapped, tried with different towers and never worked.

Do I need to register the BP Pulse card ?

What’s your thoughts ?

Thanks again
Loving the green community

Hi @Luca_kun - welcome to Onto -I see that you’ve already made some friends (be careful, some of them may bite :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

BP Chargemeaster is the name of one of BP’s older charging networks - the other being BP Polar - they’re all merged under BP Pulse now - but this is where the issues start.

BP are still in the process of updating and amalgamating all three networks and currently they have issues reading and recognising some of their own RFID cards on the older networks.

It’s a known and frustrating issue for us as well as our customers - but there’s not much we’re able to do - as it’s up to BP to resolve this issue. In the meantime, if you do encounter issues whilst using the BP network, we would kindly request an email to [email protected] with attached screenshots of the BP unit, serial code, location and error showing.

If you do end up paying to charge at the BP network, if you’re able to forward us screenshot of the charge session and payment made, we’ll be happy to look into reimbursing you for the session.

THIS APPLIES FOR ANYONE HERE EXPERIENCING ISSUES WITH THE BP NETWORK

8 Likes

You can also call BP Pulse and ask them to start a charge manually via their systems. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can’t.

4 Likes

…And sometimes you’ll die of old age while waiting for them to answer your call!

8 Likes

Incredible, thanks everyone for your detailed answers. Learning on the go. Got my first 100% charge today at no cost.

1 Like

Really? That’s awesome, I’m hoping that BP Pulse in turn refund you the costs incurred, it’s hardly ONTO’s fault that the BP Pulse network is virtually useless.

I’ve only used BP units twice this month, each one I tried, I got invalid card errors but fortunately I got through to them without a wait :flushed:

4 Likes

@Kev - we hope so too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To be honest - until they sort out the issues with their 3 networks syncing - it’s simply easier for us to offer the above, as long as our customers provide proof of the sessions & we’re satisfied that it’s legitimate, we’ll recompense you for it.

We’ve had discussions with BP quite a few times - but apart from pulling them as a provider there’s not alot more we’re able to do unfortunately.

Due to their large coverage in the UK, we would prefer to keep them as a partner as they do offer a good service when all is well.

But, as mentioned in another thread, we’re always open to new exciting partnerships :slight_smile:

@Luca_kun welcome Onto the EV world - I do hope you have an exciting experience with us - I can see that the community has already clarified your query above, so please contact our Customer Service Team on either Live Chat, [email protected] or 0800 030 6840 if you need any further assistance.

3 Likes

Like Gridserve/Electric Highway for example? AutoCharge please! :wink:

If Tesla ever open up their SuC network to other vehicles, would ONTO sign up?

3 Likes

ChargePlace Scotland ?? :wink:

2 Likes