Excess mileage charge

Hi folks :wave:t2: I’ve got a week left of my first month in the car and due to various reasons I’ve had to make a few unexpected journeys to my parents who live 50 miles round trip from me. I took the 750 mile bolt-on but I think I’ll go over this, not by much I imagine.

Paying the excess mileage charge isn’t an issue but I wondered if it’s frowned upon by Onto? I’ve signed next months agreement on the same car and payment is due out tomorrow, and I’d expect this to be a one-off, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I don’t think it matters as you’ll pay for the extra mileage.

Someone like @Koda would know better, but I don’t think the cars have any form of fair usage and you can do as many miles as you want, if you’re happy to pay for bolt ons or excess mileage.

I know some people have taken cars to Europe so presumably would also be doing high mileage

1 Like

The fact that they have a charge per mile tells me that they are OK with it. I’d imagine if you did it every month they may not like it but the charge for bolt ons and then excess individual miles on top of that is to cover the depreciation increase, so I think you’re all good.

1 Like

In the early days of Evezy, they were very much against you going over the mileage allowance and it was frowned upon especially if it was a regular thing. I seem to remember a small few people actually having their subscriptions terminated as a result.

Now that they have evolved into Onto a lot of things have changed and they are far more open to it. You can add mileage packages, roll over unused mileage, and if necessary pay excess charges (though not at an attractive rate, admittedly). It’s not something that Onto like but you’re not doing anything especially wrong so long as you pay for it, as far as I understand it these days.

The only thing I will say is that if it was a regular thing, I think Onto may prematurely force you into a vehicle swap to something with a lower mileage to try to even things out a bit. This is speculation on my part however.

3 Likes

Thanks Koda, you are wise and noble

Only up to 250 miles, or get threatened with the banhamma… Although, I suspect this may be from the Evezy template?

4 Likes

Doesn’t look like an old template as it mentions mileage bolt ons. It looks like that’s their stance on excess mileage now.

Good to know, but I feel like they should make that a little clearer from the start if that’s the case.

3 Likes

Seems a little bit harsh…

3 Likes

It’s in the T&C also, I’ve also had this message on my email over mileage but my miles were 500 over.

4 Likes

So we get 1000 miles included
You can add an extra 750 miles via bolt ons
You shouldn’t exceed 250 miles in addition to your bolt on

So a maximum of 2000 miles per month or 24,000 miles pa.

3 Likes

That’s correct as I read the T&C and my experience as I add 750 on each month and sometimes go over that.

It’s worth taking into account you can do over 2000 in a month without getting in trouble if your months running up were below your allocation since miles rollover.

4 Likes

I had the same “termination” email last week.

I’ve fed back directly as well, but I asked at the time I was about to go over, & subsequently when getting the excess charge, if bolt-ons could be stacked for flexibility (up to the 750 per month max).

Unfortunately no luck there, and I think I was in quite a rare situation where I’d used my points to buy a 250mile bolt-on to use them up, and then had a few emergencies during the month meaning more travel than expected.

With one of the main advantages of ONTO being the flexibility, I think this is slightly “off brand”.

Typically of course, the following month I only did 300miles, so now have a net surplus despite being charged an extra £35 for the previous month!

1 Like

Is the £35 refundable if you come in at under 12,000 miles (plus any bolt ons) at the end of your first year (or pro rata if you leave before)? It used to be like that.

1 Like

I’m sure when they initially changed the way mileage works and added the bolt ons/rollover, it was mentioned that you will no longer be eligible for refunded miles and anything unused would expire after 12 months.

I had a few over charges my first few months with evezy and was disappointed I wouldn’t get my refund back at the time. However, I think the new system works well, apart from a few issues that have been mentioned before like being able to add extra bolt ons in the same month or being able to trade miles between tiers based on their “cash value”.

1 Like

Don’t believe so, but I do sort of understand the process on that. The bolt on limit is what caused the issues for me.

The trading miles between tiers / above extra charge means I haven’t swapped to a higher tier (and likely won’t) before I leave. Understand is does make it more complicated though.

Like the bolt ons, I suspect the flexibility of ONTO is 95% of what most customers need/want, but the last 5% is always the trickiest to implement (if ever). But compared with the rigidity of a lease, or buying, there’s no contest.

3 Likes