Electric Highway Price Increase

Price increases have been announced for the Electric Highway network. Rapids are up to 39p and Ultras 45p per kWh.

3 Likes

On the plus side, maybe we will see a little less overcrowding now. They’ve all been getting too busy for a while now to the point that it put me off using them for long distance journeys.

I Don’t like paying more to charge, but would be willing to do so if it keeps them available for those who need to charge on the motorway and not just plugging in there for the sake of it and trying to get to full because it’s one of the cheapest.

With that said, the price increase can only do so much. I saw tweets showing the ridiculous charging queues across all networks around Christmas. We do clearly need them to continue expanding the charging networks too.

3 Likes

I noticed on an instavolt unit over Christmas that there seemed to be a feature to “reserve” the charger. No idea how this would work in practice, and I can’t find anything on the instavolt website, but it sounds intriguing. I can imagine paying a couple of quid extra to ensure that the charger is available when I rock up, midway through a 10 hour trip.

1 Like

Can’t see this working in practice with the current infrastructure as you would need some sort of ‘gated’ entrance to each bay to allow entry. Otherwise bays will be ICE’d or EV’d and no chance of access for a reserved slot.

Only gated scenario I have seen so far is Tesla China…

4 Likes

This is my downside to Rugby. Everyone seemed to pile in for a) the reliability and b) the cost, yet Corley up the road seemed empty by comparison.

Rugby is an alright stop for M1 North/South journeys, but Corley is a little too far away. If this pushes people doing an M6 journey more towards Corley, that wouldn’t be a bad thing, as it might free up Rugby a little more.

1 Like

When I head up north to see the parents, I use Corley every time, both ways. It’s always empty. Well, I say always, but I really mean it’s been empty on all of my visits.

3 Likes

Although Corley being InstaVolt means it’s free for us, while at the moment we have to pay at Rugby.

How far are people prepared to travel out of their way in order to get free charging, as opposed to paying yourself?

1 Like

To the edge of the moon :pray:

4 Likes

My time means more, so if I go to Meadowhell to watch a film, ill pay £2 to charge whilst I’m there… If I go to the P&R at Stourton its a free charge but id pay £1 for the rapid charging as thats all you pay at the moment

I won’t purposely go out of my way to find one…

Fair point. I used to be very certain of only using included chargers, but now charging once or twice a month on a non-included Rapid if I need to isn’t really a problem, it’s not like it’s mega expensive to do so.

3 Likes

Does the Boss know about this frivolous wasting of money that could otherwise be going into the wedding fund?

3 Likes

Similarly for me, Corley is the stop we take usually, unless I have sufficiently low SoC / warm conditions to allow for charging at full whack.

By the time we use the loo, get something to eat and have a break, we’re pretty much always ready to go, only exception was Christmas time when I think we struggled to get 50kW rate as it was 1°C, but even then we sat in the car for 10min and were ready to go.

2 Likes

Really depends on the situation, if I can spare that extra time to go to the free one then yes I would but if I can’t then more than happy to pay from my own pocket. Luckily most of England has good coverage with ONTOs cards. Scotland has a lot of free vend chargeplace Scotland chargers so highly doubt people would pay a lot there. Not sure about NI or Wales.

2 Likes

Yes, as she is one usually demanding going to the Hell of Meadow :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My trips over Christmas meant I had to charge on Christmas Day in the evening, I was the only person at Maidstone Services on the M20, all the Ionity chargers available. Was bliss.

I think the price hikes are more driven due to high energy prices right now. But when electricity drops in price again, I doubt the charging networks will lower their prices like petrol stations do (most of the time anyway…). I just hope the extra revenue at that point will be reinvested into the charging network

2 Likes

My ideal free charging station is 3.5 miles or so away so will normally charge there. I’d happily sit on the 3 pin plug at home to top up or drive the 482 meters to my nearest charger, but I want to get my monies worth with ONTO

My nearest paid charger I’d use if I wasn’t so stingy:

3 Likes

Here’s one I pulled from Twitter that I saw being passed around. Gretna services, December 23 at about 2PM. I saw others posting similar experiences up and down the country on the week before and after Christmas. It sounds like you were in the minority and got lucky.

With some of the horror stories from the chargers that I have heard recently including a fight breaking out at a local Fastned hub, I am almost happy that illness forced me to cancel my Onto booking and Christmas travel plans. It sounds like it saved me a lot of stress.

3 Likes

To be fair I had a similar situation at Gretna Green as well on our way back. We saw a similar thing on the 29th Dec. Luckily we were waiting for only 5 mins. But as soon as I plugged in, about 4 or 5 EVs pulled in, 2 ID3s, one ID4, one polestar and on ioniq. The lady in the ID3 was so pissed to see the wait. She parked up and started knocking on everyone’s window asking if they were done and tried asking an ONTO Q4 if they could move since they had reached 65%.

The level of entitlement people have! Then she waited for an IPace owner to come back who was at 90% but still plugged in. An elderly couple and she was giving them such dirty looks. Not sure why she couldn’t just pop over to the gridserve chargers on the opposite side

4 Likes

Sorry to hear you were ill over Christmas.

I wouldn’t say I was lucky, just crazy enough to be charging on Christmas Day in the evening. Most people would be with family or have been drinking

1 Like

65%?! I can understand to a point about someone sat at 90%, though wouldn’t be rude about it. But 65%? Also how does she know how far they need to travel?

Honestly people like that annoy me so much.

Then again I once went to tell someone in a Range Rover Evoque type monstrosity to move as thought they’d ICE’d the bay to then learn that it comes as an Electric/Plug In.

People ICE-ing bays annoys me more than people charging to a high amount

3 Likes