E208 real world range

Hi all jsut wondering if anyone here has some experience with the e208. I have one on order for the 19th but starting to get concerned over the range so if anyone has any real experience and what to expect please share below.

I’ve just posted my experience from driving a long distance yesterday.

I’ve been averaging 158 range to zero at motorway speeds over the last month.

2 Likes

Hi I’ve had the e-208 gt for a week now and have done some motorway driving a few times now. If you stay around 65 - 70 mph, I’m getting about 150 / 160 miles from full. 95% of that is on the motorway. Colder weather I’m sure it would be lower but the car has been promising for me since having it. Really enjoying the car. Definitely recommend it

2 Likes

@Kyle1994 you’re getting an EV at the right time as range will start to increase as the temperature warms up. Once we get to autumn, range will start to decrease again and you’ll be able to judge if it’s enough for your use pattern more accurately thanks to the experience you will have acquired by then.

2 Likes

I’m yet to receive the e208 to try myself, but reading around, I suspect one of the main issues is that people have been seeing heavy consumption on shorter journeys in colder weather and then have been extrapolating that to produce a disappointing total range. It sounds like it’s sort of the same situation as with the ID3, where the car will always heat the battery when the ambient temp is below a certain threshold, regardless of journey length…but when you go on a longer journey that initial peak of heavy consumption is flattened out over the duration of the drive - plus it means you can charge better than in an EV where the battery hasn’t been heated (eg the Kona). That’s not to say the 208 is especially efficient - it isn’t - the traditional hatchback shape isn’t good for aero, and it will suffer especially over 70mph, whereas the increase in consumption at higher speeds in slippery cars like the Ioniq or Model 3 is much less pronounced. The other aspect is that the GOM is obviously very poor and best ignored in many cases - especially as it will often report only a few miles of remaining range when in fact over 10% of available energy is still remaining.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replys it sounds promising then as most miles I’ll do per day is around 90 so think I’ll be all good and 150 mile range on the motorway is not to bad for long journeys with the fast charging of the e208 be back on road in no time with 80%

1 Like

150/160mi to zero so about ~135-144 to 10% is not awful-- My normal rule would be to break a journey every 2 hrs to help manage fatigue/alertness (and take a bio break), so this gets close to it. Slightly less if the rapid charge only takes you to 80% (80% -> 10% is about 105-112mi, extrapolated from your 150/160 to 0%).

Breaking every 90 minutes of a long trip will probably feel like quite a bit but in practice won’t add too much, if there are good rapid chargers to top up at along the way.

I’m particularly interested how that compares to the i3 at (close to) motorway speeds; take delivery of mine in a couple of weeks and am very keen to get out of London and start enjoying some of this warmer weather!

Edit: worth adding that personally from a range anxiety perspective I think I’d probably want to start hunting a charger down by 10% hence my thinking aloud with the figures above!)

2 Likes

Not long to go now! The i3 and 208 are currently fairly well matched for many journeys in this country I think. The i3 is more efficient and charges better on 50kW chargers, but has a smaller battery and can’t take advantage of high power rapid chargers. The 208 is less efficient, but has a larger battery and can benefit from 100kW+ chargers, when available.

I think in many cases at the moment it will really come down to each specific journey and whether or not there are any 100kW+ chargers along the route.

But, in time, as 100kW+ chargers become more prolific, the advantage should swing more heavily to cars with faster charging, like the 208, as you’ll (almost) always be able to wait until a low SoC has been reached before then charging at up to 100kW.

3 Likes

Indeed for sure. I also like the i3’s charging profile in that the draw seems to accelerate slightly as SoC increases, rather than the 208 which steps down as the battery gets more full. I think for the type of trips we’ll be doing the i3 is well matched to what we’ll be after.

Our longest trip will be West London up the M1 or M40 -> M6 to West Lancs to visit the inlaws, which with traffic in an ICE can exceed 5hrs pretty easily – adding in a couple of stopoffs for charging is fine, and I’ve also got no issue paying for the likes of the new Instavolt opened at Corley services if it means they’re reliable and available compared to what looks like mostly a bunch of BP Pulse units in Holiday Inns which I think will get a :-1: most of the time.

Alright sorry - thread hijack over!

3 Likes

Looks like the i3 and 208 (either with 2 stops or 1) would be very closely matched on that sort of journey. (This is set to preferring the free Onto chargers)

3 Likes

This is definitely a plus of the i3 - you just don’t need to even give a second’s thought about when’s best to rapid charge - just charge whenever you like below about 85%.

3 Likes

Here are the results of a trip in an e-208 that I did today:

Outward journey from home to Cambridge Services

Results:

Google maps: 57 miles

Trip meter: 55 miles

Initial SoC: 46%

Final SoC: 11%

Starting range: 79 miles

Finishing range: 9 miles

Average speed: 52mph

Consumption: 4.2mpkWh

Ambient temperature: 21

Battery pack temperature: >10

Notes:

• I’m 3 miles from the M11 so traffic congestion and lower speed limits would have dragged the average speed down somewhat.
  • I drove at the speed limit except for a section were there was a limit of 60mph and the last quarter of the journey I did at 56mph because the difference between the remaining mileage and remaining range was only about 5 miles.
  • I noted the trip meter results after having charged at the destination. I’ve noticed previously, after charging with a HPC such as Ionity, the mpkWh figure increases! So the 4.2mpkWh figure isn’t to be believed as it doesn’t correlate with the distance travelled and percentage decease in SoC.
  • The overnight temperature hadn’t dropped below 10 degrees so the battery pack would have been between that temperature and the ambient temperature. I presume that it would have been somewhere between 10 and 15 as the pack would warm up more slowly than the cabin.

Conclusions:

• Full range of 163 miles. (57 miles used 35% of the battery)
  • GOM was out by 13 miles. (79 - 9 = 70 instead of 57)
  • Consumption was 3.6mpkWh (45x0.35=15.75kWh used to travel 57miles)
  • The trip meter under reported the distance by 2 miles compared to google maps

Your comments are most welcome if you think that I have mis-interpreted the data.

I will post the results of the charging session and return journey later.

3 Likes

Ionity 350kW Charger

Results

Starting SoC: 11%

Finishing SoC: 75%

Maximum power: 77kW

Minimum power: 26kW

Average power: 60kW

Time: 30 minutes

Dispensed: 30kWh

Initial range: 9 miles

Final range: 139 miles

Conclusions

• Battery may still not have been warm enough to charge at higher powers, or the charger may not have been able to supply more, for some reason. It started at 71kW and peaked at 77kW at around 40% when charging had warmed the battery up.
  • The power dropped to 52kW at around 50% SoC. The next drop was to 26kW at 71%. I continued charging to 75%, and disconnect just before the average power dropped below 60kW.
  • If you can rely on chargers working, then the best charging window is probably 10 to 75%.
4 Likes

All seems pretty much in line with an ABRP plan from Redbridge roundabout up to Cambridge Ionity and back - so that’s encouraging

:+1:

Although…I would have hoped the charging would have reached nearly 100kW given the weather today and after an hour or so of driving

1 Like

Was that as reported by the charger or the car?

I was getting charging speeds >95kW displayed on the Ionity screen yesterday, but the car only reported 77kW max according to Tronity. That was after an hour on the motorway at 23 degrees, charging from 8%. If I can’t hit 100kW then, I never will!

1 Like

I don’t expect the Tronity charging power is accurate and would certainly trust the figure displayed on the charger over the figure calculated by Tronity. Even if the car was cooling or heating at full power, it still wouldn’t be using the difference between 95 and 77 kW.

Am I right in thinking the e208 doesn’t display charging power (or speed) itself, on the dash?

1 Like

Yes I was a bit disappointed with that too. It’s rare to get the full 100, and if you get ninety something, it’s usually only up to 20% or so, and then it settles down to the high seventies. Of course, it could have been an issue with the charger, although no one was using the other three.

1 Like

I was hoping you’d check ABRP for me! Good to know.

1 Like

:laughing: I think I like playing with ABRP more than I do actually driving

2 Likes

The charger. I left at around 12 noon, so maybe the pack hadn’t had chance to warm up from the overnight low of 10 degrees. I didn’t push it too hard on the way up as I didn’t want to run out before getting to the services. So although it was an hours drive, the pack probably hadn’t warmed up that much. Of course, we can’t fully dismiss the charger as having been the cause. I suspect though that the pack wasn’t warm enough because the power did increase from an initial 71kW at 11% to 77kW at 40% which I presume was the charging warming up the battery.

1 Like