E208 Charging

Hi All, having a decent time with the e208 in general but not having much joy charging at super rapid charging stations. Plugged into a 150kw Shell Recharge at Chipping Norton today for example, and hit a maximum of 74kw when I first plugged in but during the first 15-20 minutes of charging the rate was typically between 57-62kw. The temperature outside is 16 degrees and I’ve been driving for around 90 minutes on A roads averaging 35-45 mph. Any thoughts on why I can’t get closer to the 100 kw DC charging speeds promised by Peugeot and therefore get moving again a bit quicker? Thanks!

How low was your battery when plugging in? As you can see above your fastest speeds are at the very bottom of the battery and don’t last very long.

Thanks for the quick response @Koda. Battery was at 24% when I plugged in.

Finished result was 24% to 80% in 30 minutes.

That sounds about right since you started at 24%. You’ll have missed the very fastest speeds as it was still a little too high as per the above image.

This is fairly common amongst most EVs and the e-208 does have a good charge curve so it should still be taking less time to charge one of those compared to other cars in the Onto fleet at a similar price point. Maybe in future try to make more use of the bottom end of the battery pack and then unplug before 65-70% to charge again further down the road to make the most of the very fastest charge speeds.

Still, I would call a 24-80% Charge in 30 minutes pretty good going. Definitely not terrible at all.

1 Like

That’s pretty good going I think given it wasn’t particularly warm this weekend. It seems to be taking the maximum power the pre-defined curve allows, and wasn’t limited by temperature.

(Unlike my Kona which is still most of the time stuck on a max of 56kW as it’s battery isn’t warm enough in this spring weather).

Thanks very much @Koda, will give that a try next time. Good to understand more about what to expect so thanks for your help!

Thanks @BillN - hope the weather and the Kona charging improves soon for you. :+1:

1 Like

e-208 charging alongside three other EVs.

20% drop from 96kW to 76kW
48% drop from 76kW to 52kW
67% drop from 52kW to 43kW
73% drop from 43kW to 27kW
85% drop from 27kW to 11kW

So a 5% to 74% charge took 30 minutes at average of 65kW.

1 Like

We just need more, regularly spaced 100kW+ chargers, to make cars with curves like this really work well.

With less regular, more infrequent HPCs, I can definitely see the appeal of cars with curves like that of the eTron.

eg. Peterborough Ionity is just annoyingly a bit too close to London for the e208, especially in good weather. I’d probably arrive there with 20%…and yet it’d be too far to the next HPC.

Just put enough in at Peterborough Ionity to get you the extra 60 miles to Markham Moor Shell Recharge. :wink:

A 10 minute charge at 76kW should take you from 20% to 48% and you would arrive at Markham Moor with around 10% ready to take advantage of the higher charging speeds again.

I will only normally need to stop the once as it’s only about 160 miles - it’s just that it’d be nice if there was a 100kW charger at the 5% remaining point (in winter and summer).

I know charging at 75kW won’t barely take any longer at all - but it’d just be nice to be able to realise the charging potential more often, and that would require more frequent HPCs - about every 30 miles or so on main roads. I think the targets is for “rapids” every 25 miles on main roads - but most will be 50kW for a long time to come.

So probably more likely that battery tech will improve faster and more car manufactures will start offering EVs with smaller batteries which have curves more like that of the eTron.

Thanks @E7EV, this is really useful. Looks like planning to drive a bit more between the 10%-70% range might be the best option then on long journeys. Will have to toughen up on my range anxiety issues I guess! :grimacing:

I’ve been spoiled by the existence of the HPCs. I ended up on a 50kW charger after several visits to Ionity, and I thought there was something wrong with it!

1 Like

What sort of speed are you seeing on the 50kWs? Think I’m right in saying the voltage of the e208 means it should get just under 50kW (as opposed to nearer to 45kW for cars with lower voltage).

I always got scared running my e208 too low. The combination between the lack of SOC being displayed, the dreaded red line at about 15% and the massively underestimating GOM.

Could try doing as @ralderton does and use the app, or better still Tronity and ABRP to monitor the current SoC% and predicted arrival SoC% accurately.

Yes there are certainly ways around it but why can’t the manufacturer just make it simple so the driver can have all the correct and informative info on the dash?

1 Like

Indeed - hopefully they may see fit to update it at some point, as I notice the Mokka has a SoC% dash display.

This does raise a good question. Why is the remaining range display such a big thing in EVs? In an ICE vehicle this number is just as useless and is often hidden away in a menu that people very rarely look at or even know exists.

The GOM on pretty much any EV is useless to me. They are rarely accurate and unsurprisingly cause range anxiety for many people who are new to this. But if they give me a simple percentage reading I can quickly and easily see exactly how much charge I have, and can work out quite accurately for myself how far I can expect to go with that, and when I should expect to plan a charge if necessary.

2 Likes