ë-C4 issue

Hey, I’m not a mechanic and obviously when something sounds wrong you get worried….
Last night I was driving and I noticed this screech as I was turning right… as I drove further it got more apparent. Now every time I turn it makes this noise.
Obviously being a silent car it’s really apparent!

Cars only done 1,000 miles, so this is really bad.

I’m thinking it’s the power steering as a previous ICE car had the same issue, but my friend who was with me said it could be to do with the ball joints or lack of lubricant in the suspension?
Either way I feel like this is going to be the dreaded call to driverline to get booked in for 2 months later…. :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: As this noise is quite off putting and embarrassing on a new car!

See what Driverline say, If you are after a courtesy car though I do think you could be in for a bit of a wait especially if the car is considered to be driveable still. If they come back with a stupid estimate then it’s probably worth just calling Onto and trying to get a swap instead. There are a few cars showing with availability in my area right now so you will hopefully be able to get something.

Feel free to attach a recording of the noise if you can get it to pick up clearly and we can make our guesses, though at the end of the day regardless of what it is, something is obviously wrong and needs repaired. Driverline are definitely your next step.

3 Likes

@Koda yeah I thought as much. I’m not doing too well on the availability front in London. Been watching like a hawk for many weeks now to swap to a ID3. Unfortunately when it was announced I was working so by the time I got to the phone they’d all gone, and was left with only two colour choices in the e-C4.
Really don’t want to be waiting around for a courtesy car as I haven’t replaced my main car yet. I’m hoping it’s a quick fix. I haven’t really driven the car anywhere since I got it 1000 miles in 4 months basically. :joy::joy::weary::weary:
Ugh. What a bad bit of luck.

2 Likes

Just checked London there’s a white Zoe GT and silver ID.4 available for early-mid January. Don’t know if either of these would be up for consideration as a quick replacement for your current car, even if only temporarily.

Hopefully you manage to work something out. Keep us updated on how you get on with Driverline.

4 Likes

You need to advise Onto/Driverline asap as per contract…

Unusual noises or driving feel or any other problems, including but not limited to warning lamps,
indicators, inappropriate or strange engine, motor or other mechanical sounds, performance changes
or unusual driving feel, must be reported to us as soon as noted by calling our 24-hour customer
service team on 0800 030 6840. Failure to report such irregularities during the use of the Vehicle may
result in us terminating the Hire Agreement. You may also be liable for any damages resulting from
the continued use of the Vehicle despite such irregularities. Such damages are not covered by our
insurance and will therefore not be limited to the insurance excess charge

4 Likes

Just phoned driverline. Nearest dealer is in Chiswick :cry::cry::cry::cry: my local can’t deal with electric. So that’s a whole drive across London.:weary::weary::weary:. Asked for a courtesy vehicle and they’re saying 4-6 weeks for a look and service if necessary lol :joy:. Honestly I could get it done quicker myself. But, if that’s the terms and conditions…. :+1::+1::+1:

@burnt_crisps2 so would you interpret that as - if I continue to use vehicle and it’s been noted with Driverline there’s a issue - I’m still liable for any damage resulting from continued driving even if I’ve made them aware? If that’s the case shouldn’t I be asking for a swap? :unamused::face_with_monocle::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Update, 3rd March is the earliest date they could give me.
:joy::joy::joy::joy: what a joke. It’s literally some lubricant on a wheel. That’s it.

White Zoe still available January 20.
ID.3 Life Moonstone available January 7
Kona Ultimate Atlas White available January 7
ID.4 Life Scale Silver available January 7

London postcode, as of 2 minutes ago

3 Likes

Think I would be calling Onto and getting something agreed if you need to continue using it.
Can you upload a video of sound/noise so we can try and assess remotely.

1 Like

Spoke to ONTO, went to local dealer.
They’re gonna look at it Tuesday for a opinion.
Engineer looked and heard noise said it could be dirt in the wheel mechanism as they’ve had that before due to the nature of the alloys. Gonna get it jet washed in the alloys tomorrow and see if that changes anything otherwise I’ve got a booking on Tuesday.
Said it’s not in any danger of being dangerous and that the brakes work and the wheels are fine so should be a minor fix. If the jet wash doesn’t work they’ll lubricate everything and that will work.

2 Likes

Sounds like you might have it sorted with a jet wash, if not then at least a timely visit to dealer, rather than wait an eternity.

3 Likes

Meant to say, if its small stones/grit in between the diskpad and disk assembly, then reversing and then brake sharply, go forward and do the same and repeat a couple of times can also get stuck items shifted out.

2 Likes

And just seen this on FB, so just had to paste it here in this thread…

5 Likes

Just do what one of my work colleagues says she does when hearing a strange noise.

Turn up the stereo :wink:

5 Likes

Not as bad as my own ONTO eC4 which had a complete mechanical failure of what I suspect is the finaldrive/differential unit rendering it undriveable. Currently awaiting examination - not repair- at a dealership. ONTO have failed to ensure either a replacment vehicle or a hire vehicle after almost a week of being without transport. A VERY POOR customer service which, if not resolved in the coming week will result in my cancellation of the ONTO agreement. I’ve had enough of chasing round to get a positive outcome.

@shotblaster see my post on the other thread that you explained the issue on.

1 Like