Choices for someone new to EV

Moving back to the UK in July and we’ve decided we will be going EV.
We will be in a rented apartment for the first 12 months so unlikely to be able to charge at home. We will need to rely 100% on the public charging network so EV with rapid charging is a must.

Low mileage, family of 3 with the longest regular journey being a 150 mile round-trip.
I’m thinking the Peugeot e208 is probably going to be a good choice based on the cost, size, range.
Hopefully the VW ID.3 will be the best option if it’s one of mystery new vehicles depending on the cost.
Not sure I’m keen on the Kona and don’t want to spend Tesla money.

1 Like

You wouldn’t get a Tesla now anyway as the waitlists are huge and there are only a limited number of vehicles on the fleet.

I had an e208 and in winter was probably getting 120-140 miles range out of it. However, as long as you are happy with your charging options nearby (use Zapmap to have a look for rapid chargers, they are the purple ones)

ID.3 will supposedly do 200 miles on a charge (assuming Onto have the 58kw battery versions)

I’ve not got expereince with the Kona but I currently have an Ioniq. It will easily do 190 miles on a charge right now but the rapid charging speed is slower than a lot of other vehicles.

Whichever option you choose, remember there is a long list of chargers that you can use for free with your Onto subscription and by the time you are back in the UK you’ll have the option to use Instavolt chargers as well as the existing BP Pulse and Shell partners too.

2 Likes

One of the best cars for Cost vs Range are the Zoe ZE50s.

You’ll likely do the 150 miles without needing to charge in between, even entirely at motorway speeds - maybe a little less during freezing winter weather. Has Rapid charging, easily spacious enough for three people, has Rapid Charging as well.

Just taken delivery of a Zoe this week.

Charged it for the first time yesterday and very easy to do on a rapid charge.

I don’t think I’ll get a wall charger fitted (even though I can) as the ONTO cards will supply the choice I need especially with InstaVolt card coming soon. The 500 pounds is better in my pocket.

This could change if there becomes a bigger supply / que at the charges if the network doesn’t keep up with the EV change from ICE.

1 Like

Where abouts are you located? If you live somewhere with lots of charging options and also higher powered chargers then the e-208 is a good choice. If there’s no higher powered chargers, or less charging overall and you need a little extra range then the Zoe may be better. If you happen to live in one of those areas where 22kW AC Charging is commonplace the Zoe would be preferable too, since this is one of the few cars that can make full use of this.

1 Like

I’ll be in Maidenhead and according to Zap map not much in Maidenhead itself.

Maidenhead is a bit of a charging desert. You may need to make hopefully just a weekly charging visit to Marlow/Slough/High Wycombe. There are Ionity chargers at Beaconsfield Services which should be fast and reliable. Do you go anywhere outside of Maidenhead as part of your weekly routine?

Just got my confirmation email today for the gt line Zoe delivery on the 14th flame red dunno reg yet tho. And chargers in Leeds seem plentiful

1 Like

I think we can make Beaconsfield Services on our regular route so that would be a good option.
Marlow/Slough/High Wycombe are all close enough for the “weekly” shopping run I think.

2 Likes

Just bear in mind that Ionity at Beaconsfield is free at the moment and only two out of four chargers are working. So they are quite busy. Three Ecotricity rapids at the Services, but none of them offer CCS. Best to go at less busy times.

1 Like

I have the e208 GT and I think overall it’s a nice car, range can be good in it around town, go onto a motorway and you can kiss that goodbye :joy: the only gripe I have is that the rear space is tiny. My eldest sits in the front and youngest in her car seat behind and even with the seat pulled quite far forward our toddler is still kicking the back of her seat so waiting to see which cars onto bring in before we decide whether to swap or not.

You’re doing it all wrong. Push the seat back so the toddler can’t stretch out their legs (or ideally even move them at all) and disturb the front passenger :wink:

2 Likes

We put ours back in a rear facing seat until they stopped kicking. They soon stopped as they love looking forwards and having some more space for their legs.
I hate the rear of the front seats getting marked so put covers over them (just on the bit facing the kids) (as well as under any child seats in the back) to protect them as the occasional kick/scuff is always going to happen and the rear seat covers make it easy to clean up after the kids and makes sure any car going back to onto is still pristine - even after kids have done their worst!

1 Like

Our toddler has autism and always kicks her legs out as it’s part of her stimming so can’t really be helped, we are changing car seats soon anyways which may help as she’s nearly too big for her current one.

3 Likes

Sounds like more space may be your only answer, I looked at putting cheap foam (they use for cushions etc) under seat back covers to try and absorb some of the kicks originally and then I eventually just settled for cheapo ones and me being grumpy! I appreciate that’s not an option for you so it might help for your front passenger until you can get something with a bit more legroom or a different car seat.

1 Like