Charging Theory

Morning Team ONTO

There’s been lots of discussion here recently about the e208 getting much less range in the real world than a Zoe and also lots of talk about how the Zoe charges slower.

Here’s a wild theory, and forgive me if I’m way of the mark because I’m not as au fait with electric as you guys, but could it be that the slower charge somehow maximises the potential of the battery cells?

Has anyone done a test with the Peugeot following a slower full charge to see if it gets closer to the impressive real world range figures boasted by the Zoe?

Not sure if I fully understand your question but a charge is a charge whether slow or rapid. Balancing the cells by doing a charge to 100% every so often should help get the best range possible. You can do this with a rapid as the car will just take what it needs, probably only 1 or 2kW.

2 Likes

The issue with the e208 is efficiency based. Whether that is the motor, aerodynamic profile, tyres or something else I am unsure, but that’s why you get less range from that car. It’s nothing to do with the way that the car is charged. If you top it up with 20kWh of energy, it is the same 20kWh no matter if you put it in very slowly with a granny cable, or very quickly at a rapid charger, as @E7EV has explained above.

If you were to rapid charge your car multiple times a day, every single day it may cause problem over time and start to degrade the battery resulting in it being able to hold less capacity with a full charge, but I don’t think that is the point you are getting at here. Likewise, cell balancing is helpful with a full charge every now and then, helping you to get more out of the battery especially at the very top and bottom ends of the battery, but in day-to-day use, it really doesn’t matter how you charge your EV.

The simple fact is that some manufacturers take EVs more seriously than others. Some work hard to improve efficiency like Tesla, Hyundai, and to some extent Renault. Others like PSA, Jaguar, Audi and the recent offerings from Mercedes-Benz haven’t worked so hard on this side of things and you end up with less range per charge.

As for the charging speeds, the big thing that causes these differences is the voltage of the battery packs that each car has. That’s why the new Hyundai Ioniq charges so much slower than the old model for example. But the manufacturers also take into account how effective their cooling system is, and also trying to get the balance right between the convenience of faster charge speeds, and the risk of accelerated wear and degradation to the battery pack caused by the extra stress and heat that rapid charging can bring.

3 Likes

Thanks both, that clears things up :blush: