Charging card

I’m new to this (EVs and forums) so please excuse any ignorance.
I’ve been reading some of the posts to find some info, but am still a little befuddled.
Onto refer to the Polar network of chargers. As far as I can tell, they’ve beeen bought up and are now owned by BP Pulse. However, several people in the community refer Shell cards. I’m confused!
Also, I’m thinking of hiring one of the Zoe R135’s. It mentions rapid (50Kw) charging in the list of features. Presumably, if they are “Rapid”, they come with three charging cables - CCS (up to 50Kw), Type 2 (22Kw) and three pin (home socket - 7.2Kw)? Is that correct?
I don’t drive great distances and there is only one Polar (BP Pulse?) charger near me (my local Post office is CM22 6EH if anyone wants to do a search) and is 20 minutes drive. Obviousy, included charging is a major factor in deciding to hire from Onto and I’m happy to drive once or twice a week to get an 80% charge, but will my three-pin get me out of trouble if necessary? What will it give me for, say, 5 hours charge - 30 miles? Or more?
Finally, should I have posted all these questions separately? Please let me know if I’ve broken any community etiqette.
Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Like

Welcome! On.to used to have only polar, now bp pulse, included, but they have now also partnered with shell and shell charging cards have been sent out for customers to use.

You only need two cables, which are both included, a type 2 for up to 22kW and a 3-pin granny charger, since rapid charger (50kW and more) have the cable connected to the actual charger, so you only need to plug it into your car.

The 3-pin charger will charge with around 2.3kW so will give you around 10kW in 5 hours including any charging loss. That should be enough for around 30 miles, but hopefully someone with a ZE50 can chime in and confirm this.

1 Like

Thanks for such a quick (and informative) reply, Igrok. Shell chargers appear to be even further away. In any case, I think I’ll have to take a leap of faith and see how well I can manage the access to chargers. Many thanks for your help.

2 Likes

You have more chargers in closer proximity to you than I do (using the postcode you provided) so you will be fine.

The good thing with the Shell card now being included is the amount of partners that it gives you access to, like me there aren’t that many around you directly but I’ve already found it comes in really handy when traveling and much more useful than having to rely on 1 network.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s really good to know.
Have to say I’m really impressed with this community. My first time using this sort of thing.

4 Likes

Granny charging the Zoe is very inefficient, and even saying 10kW into the battery in 5 hours may be a touch optimistic.

That said, Zoe is quite an efficient car (though not as much as your Ioniq!) so ~30 miles with that amount of charge sounds about right. Obviously with all EVs this will be more in the summer driving around the city, or less in the wet and windy winter, blasting the heater on full and powering along the motorway at high speed.

The granny cable is very handy to have just in case you need an emergency charge since you can plug it in anywhere with a standard plug socket. But it’s something you’ll likely find you never use. The Renault Zoe has plenty of range with a full battery and the average driver should manage just fine, even exclusively on the public charging networks.

1 Like

The downside to Zoe’s Chameleon charger is that it is very inefficient when charging at lower power. Expect to only actually get 1.7kW going into the battery from a 10A/240v supply. This is why Renault call the 3-pin charger an Occasional Charger and don’t recommend it’s regular use. If you do use it, regularly check the temperature of the socket because a draw of 2kW or so over many hours will highlight any bad connections. Using an extension lead is discouraged for the same reason. If you do use one, buy one that can specifically cope with a continuous draw of 2kW.

2 Likes

@Marc Just looked at Zap-Map and there are some 22kW chargers in Causeway Car Park in Bishop’s Stortford if you ever go there. Free charging but parking costs £1 an hour before 6:30pm.

Also, if you ever visit Westfield, there are six rapids in the Stratford International Car Park which you can access with the Shell Card. 90 minutes free parking is included.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all your help. I’ve always been a bit dubious about the usefulness of forums/communities. How wrong could I be!
I’ve been waiting for a properly useable EV since borrowing a friend’s Toyota Prius Hybrid in 1998. They appear to have come of age in the last year! You’ve all contributed to allaying my anxieties. Onto seems to be the prefect way of dipping my toe in before getting one for the longer term. Although, since I usually contract hire vehicles, the package that Onto offers (including charging and insurance) makes the comaprison fairly close. The only thing that really bothers me is the huge (£1,000) excess on the insurance. At least it will make me focus on my driving! :yum:

1 Like

Have you seen the posts about car hire excess insurance? You can pay about £50 per year for a separate policy to cover your excess and then, should you ever have a charge from onto for accidental damage, you can claim back the cost of the excess from this policy.

I think these are some of the best threads:

Excess cover, who to go with?
Car Hire Excess Insurance

2 Likes

Brilliant! Again, thank you so much. :smiley:

1 Like