Charger won't accept BP Pulse card?

I’ve had an Onto car for a month now (Citroen E-C4) and it’s going great, but the last couple of times I’ve tried to charge at our local BP it’s not accepting the BP card, as if it’s out of credit, so I’ve had to pay! I tried emailing Onto but to be honest it wasn’t very helpful. How do the cards work, are they topped up each time you use them, for next time? Or are they supposedly endless so you shouldn’t have to pay.

The card should work all the time and if it fails to start a charge call the provider on the numbers indicated. They should start the charge remotely. The issue could be BP or the actual charger itself. Have you tried other BP chargers or are you always using the same one?
It sounds as the card worked when you first recd. the car so it’s more likely a charger issue than the actual card, but you will need to try and prove that by using/trying other BP chargers, probably at a different location.

You can also check Zap-Map for other users comments to see if others are having the same issues just now.

3 Likes

The BP pulse 150kw chargers are really slow to detect the card, sometimes it is a minute of longer before it authorised the charge and a couple of times, it just did not work.
I rang them and they remotely started it for me.

The card reader is also not obvious, it’s lower below the little lcd panel on the ones I’ve used

4 Likes

Yep some of the chargers made by different companies are a right miss mash of design layout and confusing signage/labels etc.
Older products tend to be the worst, newer ones better.
I think we have all been waving cards here there and everywhere with various branded chargers when we set out with our EV transition journey.
One of those lovely learning steps, but you soon get used to it.

Sometimes think the technology always links via some obscure non direct routing path, which is why it takes sooo long sometimes. In reality it probably does!
Other times it’s almost instant with some chargers. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Hi @BenOB , I’ll check with our ops team ref the BP cards but I’m sure that they won’t be out of credit. Interestingly I had a similar issue recently, I was on a road trip to Wales and had an issue with a BP charger point (RFID not recognised). I just called the number on the charger (BP Pulse CS) and they remotely started it. I thought I would have to phone them back after I charged to ‘stop’ the charge but it allowed me to disconnect. What i did notice was lots of scratches where you scan the RFID (on both the chargers). That indicates to me that a lot of people had the same issue and were moving the card around the rfid scan point to get it to work (or not in our case).

4 Likes

This :point_up_2: I mean hands up if you haven’t been caught out by this, especially when all the markings rub off! :flushed::upside_down_face::man_shrugging:

3 Likes