CarPlay working for anyone?

Has anyone got CarPlay working? According to the BMW for the VIN I have it says it should work, but I am not sure how it works for an i3 - I can access other connected apps (Spotify etc) but I don’t see CarPlay. Vehicle has latest software…I still need to play around a bit but just wanted to know that someone else has so that I can try harder!

I don’t believe the i3 I had from onto had airplay.

2 Likes

Apple CarPlay is an “extra”

You may be able to pay yourself for the upgrade in connected services, I remember signing up to Spotify through it for a trial, but gave up as it was no better than BT Audio

1 Like

Thanks Kev! Will give it a try.

Edit - tried. Looked. scrub that - it’s £265 !!

:open_mouth: Whaaaa?

Then again, it seems to be the way things will be going in the future, Tesla for example fully equip the car for full self driving, but charge over £5000 to “unlock” it! Same with heated rear seats, that’s £300, and all they need to do is enable it, the equipment is already fitted.

Yup. I think it’s becoming more common. Especially for features which may be offered differently in different markets or may eventually come as standard as competitors start to provide them for free. I think it’s becoming increasingly more common to build a common build or few builds with all the hardware as it’s cheaper and gets economy of scale (probably easier to remove humans from the manufacturing process too :frowning: ) Then just turn things on by software as needed. I had the same with manufacturer engine modes on a couple of ICE cars where the blocks and ancillaries are all identical - it’s just different maps to between the different ranges (which is why I guess the aftermarket tuning business is ever growing! )

Not a big issue in the scheme of things. Loving the go kart anyway!

1 Like

So I’ve just put in a request for an i3 and put the deposit down etc, I know others have said it doesn’t have CarPlay—
I did note on the ‘specs’ page on Onto’s site it lists:

On-board tech
*Apple CarPlay® preparation

Googling that seemed to suggest it was what BMW called it when it was working, but does that just mean it’s capable with an extra purchase? :thinking:

@Tyson yep, think it’s about£265 to unlock via Bmw online services.

1 Like

Don’t buy it. ONTO don’t guarantee you’ll keep the same car throughout. They might take yours and swap you (for free) into a newer one, or lower mileage if yours is ready to be removed from the fleet and sold. Alternatively if you have a problem you might get swapped into a spare vehicle and won’t get swapped back even after it’s repaired.

You’re going to be looking at mounting your phone in the car instead and connecting via Bluetooth I think, unless you really want to take the risk.

1 Like

What you want is one of these, plus your choice of phone attachment.

https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/BMW/i3/2019.htm

(I didn’t bother actually sticking mine in with the adhesive strips — just left the backing paper on — and it still stayed put absolutely fine.)

Also, the media system in the i3 has a built in Spotify app (and a few others) which generally worked okay.

The built in sat nav was very good I found, and you can update the mapping yourself for free via USB and the BMW website.

Voice control also worked pretty well — better than many newer cars it seems. You can say “online search” followed by where you want to go, if the place isn’t a saved POI.

1 Like

I have this one if it helps - it sucks really well to the flat bit in the centre dash on the i3. It also has the air vent attachment if you like them.
VANMASS Car Phone Holder 3 in 1 for Car Dashboard Windscreen Air Vent Compatible with All iPhone https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z3K8YWR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_7DY487YBE8N0ZV11AG1Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Thanks all. If it can play Spotify then I’ve no issues using that, that’s the main integration I’d be after.

I’m not popular enough to get lots of calls/texts so between navigation and music I’m set :slight_smile:

My i3 picks up Spotify as soon phone connects to car without any issues

1 Like

I did try and activate the CarPlay in mine but it won’t let me for whatever reason. It just says not available in the subscription. Spotify works fine though.

1 Like

That mention has now been removed from the car specs page. Boo!

1 Like