Carbon neutral fuel - synthetic fuels

I wadnt even aware this existed why aren’t we investing in this it’s amazing ,it runs in all current ICE

1 Like

Been around for some years, in development and still very expensive.
Long way off still.

2 Likes

Probably because ICE engines are on the way out anyway, regardless of fuel type. Horribly inefficient, awkwardly peaky torque and power curves, many points of wear and failure. They’re a relic, due for retirement and I’ve reminded myself of that by driving one regularly again.

It could be a good niche fuel for classic cars into the future, but whether the ROI needed to bring it to mass market would be worth it is debateable.

Still a good development though, and kudos to those working on it.

3 Likes

This company say they are ready and can deliver to pump for same price

1 Like

The thing you have to consider is we are decades away from commercial planes being electric also commercial shipping, even trucks being viable …I feel as an interim it looks much better and its totally carbon neutral and can even be carbon negative

2 Likes

They might say that, but the reality is the quantity available is a drop in the ocean, compared to what is required.
Which company is this anyway, as the link doesn’t state who they are.

1 Like

OK so it’s Carbon Engineering based in Squamish British Columbia.
Been in existence since 2009 and they have one pilot plant they have built to prove proof of concept and not actually selling any fuel.
Would need tens of thousands of plants to switch over.
It’s a long term thing, but good to see progress, but then the likes of VW, Porsche, BMW etc. have all invested in this technology, but it’s a drop in the ocean compared to EV expenditure so far.

3 Likes

Although shipping is unregulated so use the cheapest (which is also the dirtiest) fuel they can

1 Like