Cancellation of my subscription

I am disappointed with my customer experience. I have been a customer for the last 8 months with no troubles. I have been paying my subscription on 16th of every month. This month i was sent a email on the 14th. i was told that my payment failed and if i don’t pay by 4 pm I will be charged £50 fee to pick up the vehicle in the next 7 days. I contacted onto and told them i CAN make a payment on the 15th (in 6 hours time) but they said they can’t cancel the pick up and the car will be collected with a £50 charge. I now have no car next week so I cant make the school
run and have to pay for a taxis next week. I am unable to swap cars and now have booked a new vehicle which might be delivered within the next month at a charge of £439. To add insult to injury I have been charged 3 times for delivery. I have called onto team and have been told management will call me back.I am still waiting for the call. My question is why have they charged me £50 for pick up which i don’t want and charged for a new subscription. can they not just cancel the pick up and swap the car next month. still waiting for a resolution and out of pocket to the tune of £344.50.
Rob Jolly Can you please help

1 Like

Sounds similar to this situation, in case not seen:

If you failed to have the funds available to pay the monthly fee then you have unfortunately instigated the return. As others have and will say. You need not only the funds available each month to pay for the subscription service, but you also need the £1000 excess available should there be an incident.

This response from ONTO explains the monthly payment requirements…

CarolOnto Team

17d

I cannot talk about individual cases here, to give you some context we clearly state the payment terms and how the pre authorisation works in the FAQs Pre-Auth

As a business we need to ensure that all adhere to this. A member of the CS team manually chases this with all individuals at least twice from day 7 to day 3, to encourage payment and ensure we make every endeavour to allow the member to make payment.

We do value all members regardless of length of service but as a business we cannot allow cars to be out there with no payment, as this is a risk to our members, others and the business. We therefore have a dedicated team member looking after this and this team will grow as the member base grows. I appreciate members move money to cover the payment into their dedicated accounts, however this is a regular cadence and therefore it is the responsibility of the member to ensure the money is available for us to meet the above pre auth process.

We need a minimum of 3 days notice to get a collection booked and there have been instances where after day 3 when a collection is booked we have been asked to cancel this as members can pay, the process is when a booking is made to collect the car becomes available to book in the future and in most instances the cars are already booked so we are unable to reverse the booking.

I hope this helps clarify and are looking at individual requests when the collection gets booked, but we would ask members to try to avoid getting to this stage as the risk when the car is booked in on being to reverse this is high.

4 Likes

I had a similar experience but found the customer service really good. I had lost my cards and all were cancelled a day or two before due date. onto asked me to keep them up to date with replacements as don’t offer bank transfer etc and they’d try their best to keep me with the car. I was given four extra days to sort things and contacted several times. They could have simply arranged a collection but as I kept in touch and got new card in time the car is still outside.

Think the customer service is really good and at no time did I feel under pressure. If it came down to the last minute I would have borrowed someone elses card to avoid inconveniences. I think four days after pre-auth due date was very fair and seems to be the maximum allowed to give them time to arrange collection four days later when your advance paid subscription ends.

The payment is held 7 days prior to your contract renewal date so best to ensure you book the next car to suit that date if paid at different time of month as technically you pay one month and one week in advance. There might also be a bill for any damages to the returned car also once inspection is complete.

3 Likes

This could all be resolved If they offered payment by direct debit and should save on.to card processing fees. I see there point about ensuring funds to pay however they need to have some method of being flexible, after all a bank won’t repossess a house if your mortgage payment is a day or two late !

I totally agree with DD been offered as a method of payment, but it would need to come out a week before you rental is due to extend, and needs a bit of a process jiggle… such as you have to sign the new contract within 3 or 5 days and not 11 days as it gets sent 3 days before payment is due thanks to the archaic BACS system…

On the fees front, OntO would probably pay about the same for both Direct Debit and Card Payments, a they aren’t processing enough payments through Stripe… As 3K payments as an example isnt that many… to get things cheaper you need to be in >10K of payments a month…

On the flip side mobile phone companies will cut off your phone and add extra charges on for a few days late and until payment is made.

A house is different to a hire car, as you are paying off the money to own the house, you will never own the car that is hired to you by OntO

1 Like

I often don’t pay until a day or 2 before delivery is due and have never had any issues just live chat and ask them yo take payment

But do they do the preauth and get that approved first? And are you paying the full amount or using referral credits?

And also there are 2 sides to every story as well and sounds like something could be amiss, or am I just been a cynical person…

Thank you Onto for the reply.
It would have been helpful if the previous Onto Customer service team member had not advised me that my payment fall within the time period. hence why there has not been a problem with my subscription payment until now.

A member of the CS team manually chases this with all individuals at least twice from day 7 to day 3, to encourage payment and ensure we make every endeavour to allow the member to make payment.

This was not the case

We need a minimum of 3 days notice to get a collection booked and there have been instances where after day 3 when a collection is booked we have been asked to cancel this as members can pay, the process is when a booking is made to collect the car becomes available to book in the future and in most instances the cars are already booked so we are unable to reverse the booking.

Not the case Payment was offer but told collection can not be cancelled.

still out of pocket