BP pulse and etron

It’s a nightmare because the audi ccs charger is on the right front of car but all the ccs cables are on the left of the pulse chargers,so you have to drive in at a 45 degree angle to be able to use so people think your a twat parking across 2 bays :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Sounds perfect for the typical Audi driver then, they tend to do that anyways!

7 Likes

I have become an audi twat :wink::wink:

3 Likes

Have to say it’s really a pain that there is no standard agreed.
Most obvious place is rear quarter panel for charge point on car as not only does it continue the ICE norm, it is also safer to reverse into parking bay slots.
Many places make it mandatory to reverse park these days, so hopefully some common sense finally prevails, but in the meantime cable lengths and physical attachment point mean it’s a pain a lot of the time.

1 Like

I came across an e-tron driver at my local Instavolt, he was parked over the white line to get the charger to reach, as I pulled up he immediately came over to explain and apologise for his parking then gave me a look around his car, I love the cameras instead of mirrors!

1 Like

I remember a friendly etron driver showing me a charging port on either side of his car.

Is it just type 2 they have on both sides? Or are dual ports an optional extra?

1 Like

Correct CCS is only on the drivers side and slow type 2 on the passengers side.

2 Likes

Daft newbie question here - are there such things as “extension leads/cables” for CCS connectors?

Not really no. Nothing that you can just go and buy in a store. I am sure you could make one but it would be very expensive to make it functional. Plus even if you did, a few of the charging networks don’t like people using adapters on their chargers.

2 Likes

Ah - you’d have thought someone would think of that - and I did have a nightmare picture in my head as I was typing of a developing country - say like the back streets of Mumbai or Kolkatta - where I have seen some very inventive and completely insane ways of delivering electricity in rather non-approved ways…:thinking::rofl:

1 Like

Many of the YouTube reviewers discredit front nose charging ports as they are susceptible to damage in a bump but they make life much easier in tight spaces.

1 Like

[quote=“tomspiccs_EV, post:11, topic:4006, full:true”]
Many of the YouTube reviewers discredit front nose charging ports as they are susceptible to damage in a bump but they make life much easier in tight spaces.
[/quote]I noted that Bjørn Nyland managed a lot of sweary bits because he couldn’t get a Kona to charge when the snow gummed up the charging socket behind the flimsy cover… Made me laugh anyway.

…I cannot make sense of the Audi positioning though (reminds me about how impractical a TVR I once owned where the battery was in a well behind the front nearside wheel - necessitating removal of the wheel just to access it… :man_shrugging:t2:)

2 Likes

Longer more flexible cables may be a better option but I can’t see that happening.

Even a swing arm like the old petrol pumps had. :fuelpump:

1 Like

Chargepoint already do this on their units:

Likewise Gridserve have started putting extra long cables on their chargers and then a retractable cable management system to keep it tidy when not in use, but long enough to reach when you do need it.

For example you can see theirs in use as it stretches over for me when one charger was broken and I was too lazy to move my car over to use the next one along:

5 Likes

Good to see some suppliers actually thinking about the cables. (Looks like Washington North bound???)

Some of the EV bays are that small, two cars with opposite charging ports don’t fit.

Close, but wrong side of the road! That’s the southbound side. One of my regular charging locations.

1 Like

Not been there for along time as I’m not far down the road.

Tend still to use Team Valley as a top up.

Are the Gridserve free still?

Afraid not. The Gridserve at IKEA is mostly on free vend these days however. Other free vends include the new Fastned chargers at the Angel of the North. The right hand one was still on free vend a couple days back but you already get access to them at no extra cost thanks to Onto anyways.

3 Likes

Cheers Koda.

Ikea is always good for a quick snack.

Have you seen all the free charge your car ones dotted around Gateshead, boldon, South Shields, and jarrow, they are my little secret stash as I don’t have off street parking lol :wink: (they are 50k rapids too by the way)