Battery Health vs Rapid Chargers

It appears the rapid chargers will in the long term reduce the life of the car’s battery. But the only included chargers are all? rapid chargers. And a part of EV use is about reducing the impact on our environment [by also reducing the amount of batteries manufactured]

So: can we have included slow charging options to increase the overall lifespan of the battery?

1 Like

BP pulse and shell chargers both have slower ac charging capability.
Also the ac chargers on tesco car parks run by pod point are free

2 Likes

As above, there are lots of slower AC posts that are included from the likes of BP Pulse, CYC, Chargepoint, Mer, Franklin LiFE, Hubsta, Char.gy, NewMotion and Ubitricity for example of some included networks, but as has already been explained there are often free supermarket chargers too.

If you use Zap Map you will be able to find charging options in your area. Pink markers are rapid. Blue are fast AC, and yellow are slow AC.

4 Likes

Is there a definitive list somewhere? #LMGTFY

As @koda said above, use Zap-Map and select the filters you want. Firstly the networks that are included in our subscription, and then AC type 2 fast chargers.

1 Like

If you want a list of all networks included its:
Alfa Power
BP Pulse
Chargepoint
Charge Your Car (CYC)
Char.gy
E-Flux
ESB
EV Box
EVDriver
Fastned
Franklin LiFE
Has To Be
Hubsta
Instavolt
Ionity
LastMileSolutions
Mer.
NewMotion
Osprey
Shell Recharge
Ubitricity
Vattenfall
Virta

But as mentioned before to find them you need Zap Map, and then look for the yellow or blue markers.

1 Like

2 Likes

And that’s why I personally never had any problems with/don’t get the hate for BP Pulse :joy:

My two year old i3 has less than 0.5% battery degradation after 14,000 miles so I suspect this may not be a notable issue for the timespan over which we might use an Onto vehicles.

1 Like

Every Osprey charger I’ve seen has a 22KW AC outlet on the side, and I’ve yet to see one in use by anybody. It also works simultaneously with the DC connectors, unlike some other units.

As a ZE50 subscriber it’s a great bonus if I stick largely to Osprey because even if CCS/CHAdeMO connectors were in use on arrival, I could still get a decent 22KW zap from the AC to get me on my way.

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that the BMW is unusual with its huge buffer at the top end of the battery that absorbs much of the early degradation. Many of the other cars in the fleet will be in a worse state much sooner. And OP does have a point. These cars do get rapid charged a lot, and also cells rarely get balanced or anything. It’s far from ideal.

whilst I appreciate it is not very green of me, it’s one of the reasons I like Onto. Basically the battery isn’t my problem. I can charge, use and run the car taking full advantage of cooling, heating, fast charging and I don’t have to worry about ‘hurting’ the battery by using fast chargers. In reality in my case I charge at home most of the time, and I quite like getting into some of the info around efficiency and battery use etc - BUT its another reason this model is great. If I had purchased the car outright or was on a long term lease I am sure I would be far more paranoid about treating the battery more kindly!

4 Likes

Even if it’s your own car like mine is now, you don’t need to worry too much. The battery will generally look after itself for the most part (unless you have a LEAF!)

Things like cell balancing are a bigger concern than degradation really is these days, and that’s something that’s beneficial to the driver as it helps to keep your GOM and charge level as accurate as possible, and also give a minor bost to your range when fully charged. Even if its only done once a month it’s quite helpful.

4 Likes

Yeah I mean Nissan have electric vehicles apparently in Japan from 2011 which are still running as taxis. Done 350,000 plus miles, and only down to 20% degradation based on rapid charging mostly on a 24kwh battery som80% of original capacity. I honestly wouldn’t worry about it. Especially for the lifetime of the vehicle you have with ONTO. That’s their issue, not ours.

I try to make sure that not all of my charging is in rapids if I can avoid it- having the ability to use Ubitricity with the Shell Recharge app is really a game changer for me on that one, as we don’t have a driveway and so can’t slow charge at home.

As others have mentioned this helps not only the battery’s life but also the overall efficiency etc of the car and the real world range I get out of it.

I agree @bendodd that part of the reason for wanting to drive electric is to reduce my overall impact on emissions so making the vehicle last longer and looking after it ultimately is part of that.

Lusting over swapping to newer more sexy car options notwithstanding! :laughing::flushed:

1 Like

If ONTO change their vehicles every two years, it probably won’t be their issue either.

It’ll be interesting to see if, in a couple of years, provenance of a secondhand EV will be important. A little similar to buying a used ICE:

Ex Driving School/Rental Car…No thanks!

One careful lady owner…Yes please!

1 Like

Renault were saying at their EV conference the other day that they will introduce health certificates for used EVs so seller can demonstrate battery health and buyer can be reassured.

“To reassure owners of second-hand electric vehicles, Mobilize will offer ‘ health certificate’ (for State Of Health monitoring), battery warranty extension contracts, and trade-in offers made possible by the connected vehicle.”

2 Likes