Auto lock?

Got my hands on a ZE40 Today after having a nightmare of a time with a ZE50.

I got out of the car after moving it from the not so smart place that the delivery driver left it blocking in 2 cars and obstructing access to garages too, and was going to do the walk around, take photos, make sure everything is included in the car etc. and made the discovery as I went to walk over to the boot that the doors locked and the car beeped twice (The same way it would if the Renault proximity key had just gone out of range)

The ZE50 Didn’t do this. Is this normal behaviour for this car when using Onto’s keyless tech? Do I need to leave my phone inside for the doors to not auto lock? Or what exactly is the procedure to be able to close one door and open another without getting locked out?

Thought I would ask here before I go back out to give all the contact points a good wipe down, take photos and inspect the condition before I end up with an embarassing situation with me locked out and potentially my phone locked in!

I had a ze40 before swapping to ze50 and yes, it did lock itself from time to time, beeping twice. Seemed to be when doors closed and getting shopping out of boot and then on closing boot it would autolock. Not sure I fully understood why this happened as it seemed random so be careful with leaving that mobile in the car!

3 Likes

Yes ZE40 will auto lock if the last door shut is the boot, and it had been left open for a while, such as during unloading. So never leave your phone in the car as that will not prevent this happening, as I’ve learned the hard way a couple of times.

Of course when you’d rather like it to lock itself…it never does!

3 Likes

The auto lock just locked me outside and my phone in the car! Don’t understand because the door I shut last was the drivers door then the dreaded two beeps! Onto info line advisor said that this feature cannot be turned off. Not helpful. Surely the technology must exist to detect my phone is inside!?

On another note & for the record, to anyone who is reading this, my car was delivered end of January without a Shell recharge card, with a faint smell of puke inside, tea/coffee stains by passenger front seat, a faulty home 3-pin charger & faulty tyre pressure sensors. I thought that it is reasonable to expect a clean, fully working car delivered after booking?
I have to drive it back to the Renault dealer this Wednesday to fix the tyre pressure issue. I have already received three days’ compensation from Onto but as the tyre issue is ongoing, I feel that the whole matter is not as over as I’ve been led to believe …

Hey. Always make sure you keep your phone on your person with the ZE40. The kit that ONTO Currently use in their cars doesn’t work perfectly with all cars, and in this case closing a door will make the car check for a key, notice that one isn’t there and auto lock. It can’t be disabled as you have been correctly told.

The ZE50 seems to communicate a little better and doesn’t auto lock unless you are using the physical key. If you fancy an upgrade for £50 extra a month to the newer model you’ll get a better experience, as well as a larger battery, rapid charge support and a better chance of getting a brand new car. I appreciate this isn’t the answer for everyone though.

ONTO Have had a few problems in the past with the company they use to deliver, inspect and maintain the cars between subscribers. I Hope this situation improves sooner rather than later since the problems you’ve listed aren’t really good enough. Hopefully everything other than the TPMS Issues are now resolved? I Remember you saying you got the granny cable swapped out already.

You’ll only do this once! Although having said that, it happened to me twice! The good thing is a quick call to ONTO or using someone else’s smartphone gives you immediate access. Remember you can have the app on a tablet as well so if you have one or a second phone you could use that as a backup if it happens at home.

Yes got new granny cable on my first visit to dealer and back again. This will be my second visit to the dealer. It really should not be me driving there and back. Twice! These issues existed upon delivery. I am simply very very disappointed with this ‘product’. If there wasn’t a car good and ready enough for my new booking , then I would have waited until there was one. Did I mention the car was delivered an hour late?! Makes me wonder…smh