Almost Half Of Brits Would Not Consider An Electric Car

Probably good news for those that are already EV converts, however not so good for the planet.
Only 1000 survey sample, so a drop in the ocean in reality.
Regional variances highlighted too.

3 Likes

Thing is, there’s this weird misconception that you need to charge to 100% every single day or you’re going to end up stuck in a field somewhere, or you’re going to be sat for hours at service stations charging.

In reality, for the distances most people commute once a week will more than do and there’s plenty of places quick enough to only need to sit about long enough to have some snap then be on your way.

Agreed. The problem is most car owners ‘purchase’ a car and that means a car/vehicle for many years.
There needs to be more emphasis on monthly subscription, along with other weekly/weekend type hire scenarios where people/families actually use one and find out just what they can really do.

One day we will start to see regular articles in the press/media showing how ridiculously easy it is to do this and many will be blown away with the fact that there are many EV’s that are a perfect fit as a replacement for an ICE.

3 Likes

Yup. This. :point_up_2:

OK I think I must be loosing my marbles as I don’t understand and further can’t see where I used the word ‘stuff’ in the posts in this thread.

Maybe you are trying to confuse me, in which case you get 10 out of 10 :+1:

3 Likes

This post, coupled with this video makes me embarrassed how far behind we are. I wonder how many of the people voting have even tried an EV :thinking:

1 Like

In forums, people will sometimes ‘snip’ a quote if it’s quite lengthy and simply write a word like snip, stuff etc. in it’s place. If you click the little up arrow at the top right of K12’s quote it will take you back to your post that he was quoting so you can read back in full.

I suspect that’s what they were doing with this quote, although it’s not so relevant in the Onto community since it has the handy reply feature built in which removes the need for quotes altogether if you’re referring to an entire post and not just a specific portion of it.

3 Likes

Aha, Monday, back to school again :wink::+1: Thanks

2 Likes

Much longer period of very good incentives in Norway compared to other countries, but also a fantastic set of policies around home charging. Can’t think of any U.K. car park that has 700 spaces and 700 charge points.

The likes of the NEC, Excel, etc. etc. might have a couple or so charge points or are planning some but it needs fully planning now so it’s just a matter of slotting the chargers into place.

2 Likes

Yup - just wanted to emphasise how all aspects of your points were ‘on the money”

3 Likes

Survey asking people if they’d vote for change in their lives finds they wouldn’t. I’m shocked to the core. Some gentle, long term education I hope would be beneficial - ultimately this is about people shifting their expectations away from wanting their electric cars to be exactly like their fossil fuel cars.

3 Likes

Well in truth they should be comparable. The only 2 items that might be a minor issue, is range and charge time/speed. And range is not an issue these days, plenty of EV’s do way more than is required for a long trip before you need a pit stop. 800V battery technology means only 18mins charge times on route so all the sticking points are vaporising. Need lots more rapid chargers/hubs with loads of bays and better uptime, but there are more appearing each month across the country.

Unfortunately you… can lead a horse to water, but can’t make them drink… as the saying goes.

2 Likes